TOPIC:

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217098

• zuperman
  • zuperman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13142
Hi

I've been giving some thought to the moderator system. The way it was was not working. It had several problems:

1) Moderators must have fun but not be disrespectful towards other players. They have to promote good faith or good 'vibes' for everyone, not only their close friends.
2) Moderators have a big responsibility towards the community as whole. This means, being a global moderator is above any squad ownership.
3) Moderators have to collaborate among themselves. It was never fair that 3 mods did most of the work while many other just watched on the side lines.

So let's give it a try, yet again. Obviously the position is open to anyone including the previous mods that did an awesome job. But this time here is the trick:

First stage, deadline until September 30th.

1) You MUST be over 18 years old.
2) You MUST be at least rank 19 or higher.
3) Propose yourself on the thread if you want to be a moderator. Don't propose other people, just yourself if you want to be mod. You can also explain why you want to be a mod and what will be your goal. Make it fancy with details and your rulebook and swearing statement to the Dogfight community or keep it short and just put your name. Up to you.
4) Always remember that although this is a game and you are volunteering, you are also part of the image of Dogfight and Echoboom. Which means, that if you make something that could damage the game or company reputation, we would be forced to cut you off. In short, don't be a jerk and do good.
5) It is important to include where physically you are located and your timezone. Also the times you are usually online. It's ok to have several mods on the same timezone but we can't have all only playing at the same time and 7 hours of chaos.

Second stage, to be announced, the selection process.

Third stage, the selected mods will be global forum moderators and when a new system is in place, in-game moderators too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manfred, GreyGhost, Whiplash, ParrotHead, [*M]bhfoust, [*M]TBUILT, [*M] bware, yose[M]ite, [NLR] McFate, Mongo and 25 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217100

• [*M]VonHuLK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • BOOM Game Over...
  • Thank you received: 21656
I have stated previously that I had a desire to help out. I look at it this way, I think everyone should be able to have fun, but the game still has to be clean enough for any 13 year old to play. I wouldn't want my 13 year old daughter to read the stuff that comes across world chat, or parts of the forum. Most of the game play sorts its self out, unless we have someone like the guy who was switching to bomb hangars, then switching back. I would still like to do anything I can to help out. It would be an honor to donate some time to the game that has brought me hours of entertainment. Thanks
I'm 48 years old
I'm level 31
I live in Florida Eastern time zone. I am on and off the forum all day(sorry i'm addicted). I play from about 6pm till 10pm during the week, on weekends its hard to say. Sometimes all weekend. Again its the addiction.

ALL IN 100%
The following user(s) said Thank You: Livingdead99, [*M]TBUILT, YEMX, Gizmo., [*M] bware, [NLR] McFate, [*M]ONSTER CANNON, Longrifle, ZebraUp, Killer! and 15 other people also said thanks.

Last edit: by [*M]VonHuLK.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217101

• Mongo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fly like its stolen shoot like you mean to keep it
  • Thank you received: 6558
Hi Zup I would like to throw my hat in the ring here. I believe i have a very good reputation here, have always tried to help out newer players when possible. I do not own a squad, i am a member of a very well regarded squad, 121 Misfits, and would like to help out. I am a MORAF, way over the age of 18, way, way, over, i have been playing nearly 2 years now. I fly at many different times throughout the day and night, as i am retired and able to play when i want. I am in the central USA but as I said i fly at all hours of the day and night. I would like to see the game returned to the one that i first played almost 2 years ago. I think that it can be.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction
(.Y.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Livingdead99, YEMX, Gizmo., [*M] bware, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]ONSTER CANNON, Longrifle, Killer!, mach2, RT and 3 other people also said thanks.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217103

• Auld
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cope with me, I'm anti-social
  • Thank you received: 188
Well, with a risk of being a bit off-topic, I would like to request a position of moderator of The Portuguese thread (Fórum Oficial em Português). I think this is my chance. The Portuguese thread is The only one which doesn't have any mod. With the departure of Pedrinho (Who would Be my choice to be the Portuguese's Thread's mod), I think I have to pick-up this responsability. The Portuguese thread isn't much hectic as the English, but I think there must be someone to look after it, to keep it organized. We are almost 400 million People... So, there it is my application. Hope I have some backup of my experienced friends of the English thread.

I am 19 years old;
I am from Feira de Santana, Bahia, Brasil;
I am level 31 (MORAF); My time zone is GMT -3;
I Always online, in my college breaks and weekends.

Auld

P.s.: I don't want to be GLOBAL MODERATOR, Just the Mod of PORTUGUESE THREAD.
DROP DED
The following user(s) said Thank You: YEMX, Gizmo., [*M] bware, [*M]VonHuLK, Frank Baracca, Longrifle, ZebraUp, Killer!, [TFL] Robert33, mach2 and 2 other people also said thanks.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217106

• [NLR] The Blue Fighter
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Nothing is Impossible.
  • Thank you received: 9789
Hi Zupperman.

I'am 45 years old, resident of India amd my time zone is +5.30 GMT.
Level-31 (MORAF)
Belogs to NLR Squad

I 'm already addicted to game like others and usually play daily between 5 P.M. to 9 P.M. and on weekends in morning too between 10 A.M. to 1 P.M.

Reason applying for moderator is to make this game clean of foul language so that everyone from kid to elderly one who wants to spend time playing this game should enjoy making friends and play in true sportsmanship.

I would like to vouch here for few gentleman whom I played with and seen how they diffuse arguments and I think if they apply for moderator will definitely help the company in implementing the idea of Global Moderator.

McFate, Davy Crockett, VonHulk (already applied and a thorough gentleman), Big*Joe, Wig and Mac then Myself.

NLR-Blue Fighter
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M] bware, [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, Longrifle, RT, SLA¥ERinc, D- CC RIDER, Mac, { G.I. } ! M, [NLR] Big*Joe and 1 other people also said thanks.

Last edit: by [NLR] The Blue Fighter.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217109

• [e]hammer_tool
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • ut malleus omnia similis clavum
  • Thank you received: 1285

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. I'm 37, from Melbourne Australia (GMT +10).

I fly reasonable odd hours to the rest of you, so I see what many of you don't. I'm on almost every evening and on weekends during my day, so I fly European day, and US east coast very early morning (through to the point where the US guys start going to work).

Been playing near enough to 2 years. I stay out of the rubbish on the forum, I don't get involved in tit-for-tat exchanges, and while I'm linked to Enigma, no one would be treated differently because of the squad they do or don't belong too.

I'm happy to operate within defined rules where they exist and to use my judgement where there aren't any rules, with the consultation of the wider mod team where necessary.

I have already poured a lot of time and effort (and $$$) into DogFight, I really believe this is a great game and the community is what keeps things interesting. I want to see the game and community thrive and grow, and I'm happy to keep putting time into the game for the greater good.

ut malleus omnia similis clavum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Livingdead99, --J--, Gizmo., [*M] bware, [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, Longrifle, mach2, SLA¥ERinc, D- CC RIDER and 1 other people also said thanks.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217114

• [*M] MISFIT CROCKETT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 13215
WELL ZUPERMAN, you already have some excellent choices, I like them all. You have created a game which I love and we all enjoy however sometimes I have children over that I would love to show them but I can't. My wife will no longer look at the forum and I stay away from chat nowadays.

This is what I can offer.

1. Several players have my phone number and I would have no problem giving my number to several others whom I trust. Most of the time if I were to receive a text about a offensive player I would be able to immediately look into it and ban if necessary.

2. I can monitor blacklist most all the time and can take swift action providing there is proper proof.

3. I would only go after clear cut offensive people and quickly, anything that could be controversial would have to be decided on by the rest of the mods.

4. I consider myself to have common sense.

5. I work well with others. (Well most of the time lol). IM EASTERN TIME ZONE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Livingdead99, YEMX, [*M] bware, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]ONSTER CANNON, Longrifle, mach2, EchoSaber, RT, SLA¥ERinc and 5 other people also said thanks.

Last edit: by [*M] MISFIT CROCKETT.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217115

• TRIXSTER
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 51
My name is Devin,48,level 31..im on day and night and single so have a lot of time to devote to DF. Main goal is to make the game enjoyable for all ages,ingame and forum as i live in Virginia,U.S. Im EST of course but on any given time. I have seen to much language and hatred in this game,it needs to stop,Im affiliated with no squad so there is no conflict,all are equal.The main purpose for modding,to me,is to not just mete out punishments but to teach,if a player wont listen then kick him out of a game after telling him of possible consequences. Not just ban or mute,this is a family community. Chosen or not,those are my thoughts and opinions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Longrifle, SLA¥ERinc

Last edit: by TRIXSTER.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217120

• [TFL] muziki1
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 180

idunno wrote: My name is Devin,48,level 31..im on day and night and single so have a lot of time to devote to DF. Main goal is to make the game enjoyable for all ages,ingame and forum as i live in Virginia,U.S. Im EST of course but on any given time. I have seen to much language and hatred in this game,it needs to stop,Im affiliated with no squad so there is no conflict,all are equal.The main purpose for modding,to me,is to not just mete out punishments but to teach,if a player wont listen then kick him out of a game after telling him of possible consequences. Not just ban or mute,this is a family community. Chosen or not,those are my thoughts and opinions.

You are one of the biggest potty mouths I have ever come across in the DF game. I wouldn't let you moderate an "ice cream van"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mac

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217123

• Gizmo.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 908

[TFL] muziki1 wrote:

idunno wrote: My name is Devin,48,level 31..im on day and night and single so have a lot of time to devote to DF. Main goal is to make the game enjoyable for all ages,ingame and forum as i live in Virginia,U.S. Im EST of course but on any given time. I have seen to much language and hatred in this game,it needs to stop,Im affiliated with no squad so there is no conflict,all are equal.The main purpose for modding,to me,is to not just mete out punishments but to teach,if a player wont listen then kick him out of a game after telling him of possible consequences. Not just ban or mute,this is a family community. Chosen or not,those are my thoughts and opinions.

You are one of the biggest potty mouths I have ever come across in the DF game. I wouldn't let you moderate an "ice cream van"

LMAO let the fun begin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]Destroyer24, RT, SLA¥ERinc, *Sapphire*

Last edit: by Gizmo..

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217124

• [*M]ONSTER CANNON
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9167

Lotsa hats in the ring...one more wouldn't hurt. I've been playing for just over one year. I don't cuss or condone back biting. I work in a system which is supposed to be fair and conduct myself accordingly. I don't typically "push my values" on others; however, I do believe those values would improve the experience players of all ages would have here. I'm 44 in 4 days...yikes. I typically play from about 5 or 6 pm until sometimes 10-11 pm week nights. Weekend, a typical day of flying ...well all day and night Saturday, about 1-5 and 8-bedtime Sundays. I live in the CST.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YEMX, [*M] bware, [*M]VonHuLK, Longrifle, RT, SLA¥ERinc, [NLR] Finn, [*M]Comet

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217125

• [*M]bzerkbzerk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 6993
I'm in the U.S. east coast. I'm on the forum through out the day as well as in and out of games enough to see the good and bad side of many players.

To you all in this community of Dogfight, we have all witnessed a change that has occurred within this game and forum over the past few month's. With the influx of players that this wonderful game has brought to the community, brings the reality that we are all of different opinions and values.

This is displayed on a daily basis on the forum, world chat and in game, both positive and negative. We have all observed how quickly the forum community responds to negative posts in comparison to positive. It seems like the good ones fade and the bad are kept alive with pointless arguments at times.

Expression is a great form of communication and yet ones worst enemy. Expression in text is more difficult at times to interpret compared to spoken word. Expression by those when used in the forum, world chat, or game to imply insult or verbal injury that turns toxic in nature should be removed once it has reached that point.

Always be aware that people of all ages play this game, men, women and children. Different races, cultures and countries combine in the game and on the forum. Be respectful with your language and responses. Do not get drawn into negative comments or subjects, try to help newer players in the game. Show respect towards all even if you do not get it in return.

Players should be allowed to play however they wish, with the exception of tank spawn killing at the enemy runway. Let's face it, even spawn killing is a tactic regardless of how people feel about it.

I think the majority of this community can agree that the inappropriate language is out of control and that some standards need to be in place. Some of us have children, some have religious value and most a morale compass.

Regardless of the outcome of any decision made here, I feel it is important to remember that Joaquin/Zuperman has allowed his game to take on it's own life. We as a community are now responsible and self monitoring is a necessary step towards global moderation.

Apologies for such a long application, mainly thought's I hope are considered, discussed and more opinions added to for this great game and community.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]bhfoust, [*M]TBUILT, YEMX, [*M] bware, [M]FOX#1, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]ONSTER CANNON, Longrifle, RT, SLA¥ERinc and 4 other people also said thanks.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217128

• tKestrel old
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3991

Sweet that means it safe to fly again lol.

Would I be allowed to apply to be a moderator? The only reason I don't come around often or fly often is because there are so many drama queens and dirty mouthed players. I would love to be a part of the dogfight healing process.

I am in north america, North Carolina GMT +5. Been playing dogfight for over 2 and a half years and have been a moraf lvl 31 for a almost a year now and am friends with close to everyone. I believe in flying with honor and that my flight style is my signature. Therefore I don't sneak, camp, spawnkill or the likes. I don't condone it, but I don't care for it either. But everyone had their opinions on that topic.

EDIT: Sry forgot to mention my flight hours. I am a night fighter. I tend to fly when everyone in the house goes to bed, from 9pm to around 1-2 or even 3am. I fly around 8am-noon and 1pm-3pm on Thursdays. Those are my free hours that Im guaranteed to fly. I also fly at random times that can't really be mapped, just when I feel like flying.
Retired in the skies of Dogfight.
Raising Hell in the skies of Warthunder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Livingdead99, [*M]VonHuLK, Longrifle, *Sapphire*, [TFL] muziki1

Last edit: by tKestrel old.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217130

• tKestrel old
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3991

[*M] MISFIT CROCKETT wrote: WELL ZUPERMAN, you already have some excellent choices, I like them all. You have created a game which I love and we all enjoy however sometimes I have children over that I would love to show them but I can't. My wife will no longer look at the forum and I stay away from chat nowadays.

This is what I can offer.

1. Several players have my phone number and I would have no problem giving my number to several others whom I trust. Most of the time if I were to receive a text about a offensive player I would be able to immediately look into it and ban if necessary.

2. I can monitor blacklist most all the time and can take swift action providing there is proper proof.

3. I would only go after clear cut offensive people and quickly, anything that could be controversial would have to be decided on by the rest of the mods.

4. I consider myself to have common sense.

5. I work well with others. (Well most of the time lol). IM EASTERN TIME ZONE.

Also, this guy right here is one of the most honorable here so far to apply. Davy is an outstanding fella, cool tempered, and friendly to all. I've never seen davy start or get involved in any kind of fight that didn't involve shooting down a red. I vote yes to davy, he would be a great moderator
Retired in the skies of Dogfight.
Raising Hell in the skies of Warthunder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasonmc, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]ONSTER CANNON, mach2, *Sapphire*

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217132

• TRIXSTER
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

[TFL] muziki1 wrote:

1..aint seen you in a game in months,so you dont know me kid...2,you instigate things to begin with,bence no application submitted by you i see...3the fact that you mention an,ice cream truck might suggest you keep an eye on one..for your.....personal reasons.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217133

• [*M] MISFIT CROCKETT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 13215

tKestrel wrote: Sweet that means it safe to fly again lol.

Would I be allowed to apply to be a moderator? The only reason I don't come around often or fly often is because there are so many drama queens and dirty mouthed players. I would love to be a part of the dogfight healing process.

I am in north america, North Carolina GMT +5.

DAVY says, I'm sorry KESTREL, I don't think we want any NORTH CAROLINA folks here :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Yes you also would make a fine MOD. You have my vote.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tKestrel old, [*M]VonHuLK

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217134

• [TFL] muziki1
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

idunno wrote:

[TFL] muziki1 wrote:

1..aint seen you in a game in months,so you dont know me kid...2,you instigate things to begin with,bence no application submitted by you i see...3the fact that you mention an,ice cream truck might suggest you keep an eye on one..for your.....personal reasons.

1. I bin around.
2. I ain't no "kid".
3. I don't intend to stand for moderator
4. Anyone interested view page 217 on the blacklist thread and ask yourself. Is this person really suitable to be one of our moderators?

Last edit: by [TFL] muziki1.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217135

• Mac
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • They Hate me, but They Can't get Enough of me...
  • Thank you received: 1411
My hat will not be thrown in the ring, not because I'm less than intrigued by this prospect, but merely because I'm underage. I'm 17. And I'm level 26, so I feel slightly underqualified regardless.

That, and I've spent the last 4 days flying under the name "Not pluribus/Pluribus2.0", and have resorted completely to sneaking, crashing, parking and doom-proclaiming. I would probably be forced to kick myself.

So, Vivek, thanks for the thought, but I must respectfully decline.
You're getting predictable, guys. You can do better, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Last edit: by Mac.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217138

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674
Hey can i get my name in there two. I know almost everyone i try and show everyone respect for the most part im friendly. Im.lvl 31 i lve on the upper east coast i get to fly sunday through Wednesday. Sunday is an all.day thing monday through Wednesday i fly between 1pm and 10pm. I like helping out the newer guys by giving them advice. The more they know the better everyone is. Ive always found if their treated like jerks then thats what they act like. But if you give them a hand here and there most of them turn out fine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Livingdead99, YEMX, [*M] bware, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]ONSTER CANNON, Longrifle, SLA¥ERinc, [*M]Comet

Last edit: by darraxx.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217141

• TRIXSTER
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

[TFL] muziki1 wrote:

idunno wrote:

[TFL] muziki1 wrote:

1. I bin around.
2. I ain't no "kid".
3. I don't in tend to stand for moderator
4. Anyone interested view page 217 on the blacklist thread and ask yourself. Is this person really suitable to be one of our moderators?

the fact you been around and havent done anything here means you aint contributed either kid,and then my dad was dying and is now been buried from cancer,so i vented..i wont apologize to you or anyone else that just looks to make trouble. To the others,i do..you even took the effort to find me in BL..sad..im sure youre squeaky clean,in all thqt you do,hows that halo holdin up kid?

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217143

• [TFL] muziki1
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I made my point.
This thread is far too important to disrupt.
I'm out of here..

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217145

• [NLR] Big*Joe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Meta Gaming 101
  • Thank you received: 592

[NLR] Ishan Sang-Blue Fighter wrote:
McFate, Davy Crockett, VolHulk (already applied and a thorough gentleman), Big*Joe, Wig and Mac then Myself.

[NLR] Vivek-Ishan

Hello Zup,

I would like to be considered as well, I have a 13 year old daughter that I DONT allow to play DF because of the forum. I would love to be able to assist in making the forums a place she could visit as she and other kids this age would love to play but cant or wont due to forum issues.

I also have experience in web-design as well as forum admin and moderation. I built the website for Gunners Inc squad as well as New Lunar Republic, and I also created and moderate/admin NLR's private forums so i am well versed in how to do so. Zup - feel free to email me for links to forum/websites i have created and admin if you like.

I am 32 years old, level 25 in game, and I live in Florida (EST Time Zone) and I find myself on mostly 8pm EST until 3:00 or 4:00am and off and on during the day at varying times, but am on forums all day. I cannot always have dedicated un-interrupted time to fly, but i am almost ALWAYS available on the forums and I would be "that guy" that is always doing most of the work (usually winds up being me).

I have not been around years so i am not buddy buddy with some of the other mods mentioned, but I dont think all mods should be for fairness purposes and I dont think every mod should be ones that have played for years as they tend to favorite the others that have been around as long. I would not play favorites at all and would only use mod power to remove things unsuitable for someone under 18 and not just because it benefits my cause. Even as a non-mod the few arguments I have been in here i have kept the language clean and remained respectful. I have spent real $$ here in DF and am invested in the community and would very much like to see it succeed and would be honored to help as a parent and a dedicated DF pilot.

I have recently tried to keep myself away more because I do not wish to read insults and drama which there seems to be too much of lately, so I would love to be able to help clean it up so many of us can return to being more active once again.

Edit: Also my profession is customer service manager, so I know how to represent the company/community in a positive light and coach others to do so as well (its kinda my job lol)

Warning: Spoiler!

Personal Rules I will abide by if selected: (My 10 DF Commandments)

1. I will be fair and moderate necessary threads without bias on who created post

2. Anytime I must remove something I will post as I did in above "spoiler" that content was removed and why allowing the poster to re-post within set guidelines.

3. I will allow squad threads to me moderated by mods in their squads unless absolutely necessary and if anything is removed i will take SS for squad leaders.

4. I will represent DF in a positive way and refrain from any bickering or negative posts.

5. I will only use mod powers if given in game on those that Team Kill repeatedly, use foul language, or bomb own hangers (repeatedly and not by accident) and NEVER just on the word of another and without valid verifiable proof.

6. I will not interfere with others opinions or disagreements as long as no rules are broken.

7. I will work with other mods on "grey areas" rather than rushing to judgement.

8. If rules are not clearly broken I will not use personal opinions to moderate content of another persons post/thread.

9. I will de-troll all obvious trolls quickly and swiftly in a very un-trolly like way.

10. I will be on as much as possible and a contributing, positive, member of the community.
NewLunarRepublic.spruz.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: YEMX, [*M] bware, [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, [TFL] muziki1, DireWolf{WP****}

Last edit: by [NLR] Big*Joe.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217148

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear
  • Thank you received: 7914

Jim. 52 years old, level 25, Eastern Standard time. I am on the forum most of the time as I get email updates sent to my phone, so even though I have a job, family, hobbies, etc. I have one ear on the forum traffic. Game-wise when not working I am on 10p to 3a, and 11a to 2/3p.

My posts will show that I have always been a DF promoter as to me there is no better way to preserve what many of us love to do.

Looks like lots of worthy applicants so far. Thanks for considering me.

United We Prowl/Together We Howl
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M] bware, DireWolf{WP****}

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217149

• SLA¥ERinc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 369
Hey, nice job bringing ur childish drama into Zup's thread for recruiting mods, guys. Well done (sarcasm)! :dry:
I would be interested in throwng my hat in the ring also. I surely do miss the old days (been playing DF for almost a year),
when the arguments were at least civilized and quasi intelligent. Now it's just mostly disrespectful kids (AND some adults)
who think they can come into this beautiful game world of ours and try to bring the rest of us down to their level. Well I for
one, am getting tired of all the pointless threads and raging insults that have been going on as of late.
I am closer to 50 than I care to admit. :whistle: I am level 29. B) I usually shoot morafs in the day time. :silly:
and I live in the east U.S.A. (THE great state of Michigan). Most folks in this game know me as a straight shooting,
hard flying, spinning turn fighter from hell. Does that about sum me up, you zipper-suited Sun Gods? Lmao
SET AN EXTRA PLATE.....HELL IS COMING TO BREAKFAST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M] bware, Longrifle, *Sapphire*, [NLR] Big*Joe

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217160

• [NLR] Big*Joe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Meta Gaming 101
I'd also like to add, in this online world, that anybody could be anybody regardless of what they claim to be. As a Mod and representing DF it might be worth considering a system for new global mods to verify they are who they claim to be. They should at least be willing to "Voice Verify" via phone or VOIP as well as a photo with date and a certain code. If nothing else this will weed out anybody underage or posing as someone else. I myself am more than willing to submit to these requirements and would also be willing to help in conducting any voice verifications by phone in the U.S.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217164

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
  • Thank you received: 5075
This will not be a popular opinion, but having invested much too much of my time and energy into moderating Dogfight I think I have an unpopular opinion pass coming:

Moderators are of no use.

I've played this game through the pre-Mod Epoch. the Mod Era and the Post-Mod Period. I was a moderator myself, one of the more active Mods to whom Joaquin has referred here. I banned team killers. I muted obscene chatters. More than my share. Every. Single. Day.

Not only did active moderators have no positive impact on the game, I became keenly aware of a very clear negative impact. Prior to the last batch of Mods there were anti-social players in Dogfight. I can't think of the name of one of them. Since the Mods were unceremoniously sacked we've had anti-social players. I can't think of the name of one of them. During the time we Mods were on duty we had TheGodofGods, PR Ace, Snobumm, Eddie Rickenburg, Zippy/Spitfire...I could go on and on.

Game cops bring game wreckers out of the woodwork. There's no question in my mind. They thrive on the attention. They love being banned and muted. Those we've had since have done what they've done and said what they've said, annoyed a few people, been largely ignored and quickly moved on.

The forum doesn't demand censorship. It demands a responsible game developer who'll delete threads that clearly fall outside the boundaries of common sense good taste. The main threads, those of the squadrons, already have moderators. We've seen how a so-called "global mod" meddling in squad threads goes over. 99% of objectionable content is in flame threads created by new, less dedicated, less involved users.

If new Mods are appointed it would be a mistake to appoint anyone with any trace of a history of controversy here. How Kestrel can say Davy Crockett has never been involved in anything ugly is beyond me. or Kestrel himself, for that matter. I'm sure they think they mean well, but...c'mon. I wouldn't let either of them, or me or Manfred or Jacklpe or Whiplash or BluE MaX or GreyGhost or Cricket, anywhere near Mod controls. And some of them are very good friends of mine. Despite the completely fallacious accusations that I "abused mod power" and that we mods somehow colluded to crook the game, we took the responsibility seriously, did the best job that could be done, never misused the controls, and got spat in the collective eye for it.

Hammer_Tool is above reproach. Viper10, Big*Joe, Darraxx, all also solid candidates. No one, myself included, at the center or on the periphery of some smackdown or flame war or ongoing pissing contest should be considered. No one who "leads" a squad should be considered despite my respect for Zebraup, bzerk, horriblebreast, Luna. Ideally no squad members would be Mods, only players like Longrifle, Loewenhardt and 1001 who've proven themselves above petty clan related nonsense. And yes, I was kidding about Loewenhardt.

Beyond all that, why burn time and energy on the issue at all when it could actually be used to address a few other minor quibbles? Y'know, like how the servers are so much more severely lagged out than they've ever been that the game is almost unplayable. How tanks still end up fifty feet in the air or having a seizure underwater. How half your crash stats occur on the airstrip at the moment of spawning in. How there is no front at the Western Front, but there are still levitating trees. Only six mission types. Windows 8 sync lag. Zeppelins stuck in one spot. Soldiers who can shoot tanks to death with rifles but who can resist half a dozen tank shell direct hits. Can we get the game to actually work rather than screw around with cosmetic adjustments and this ancillary stuff?

Does anyone doubt that I loves me some Dogfight? I'd be daft to play as much as I do if I weren't a fan. But there are much bigger fish that need frying than whether to go back to a policing system that was clearly serving little purpose other than to motivate jackasses to more and higher profile jackassery. I was there, my fellow Mods are still the best qualified people in this game and no one appointed now will be better than a Reid or a Kevy or a --J--. And with all that, I defy anyone to show how Mods made the slightest difference. I served my time as a Mod because I care about the community, not because I give a rip about a video game app. It was a pain in the ass with zero thanks and a lot of rancor from people who don't care to be policed and it ultimately harmed more than it helped, precisely what'll happen with a fresh batch of zealous cops.

I look forward to your torches and pitchforks.

--w--

Wigipedia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manfred, bellsaj, [NLR]*XxXxX*, Livingdead99, Flying muck, bopes, tKestrel old, GreyGhost, ParrotHead, [*M]bhfoust and 12 other people also said thanks.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217168

• ZebraUp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Flying & Fighting with STYLE!
  • Thank you received: 4244

Well Wig for a second there I almost threw up in my mouth a little bit when you said :x Loewenhardt! :laugh:

Seriously though, I agree with much of what you said. And yes, being a moderator is a thankless tough job for sure! Whether or not it has a positive impact within the game I am not sure (other than for ridding the skies of teamkillers) because there isn't a "Rules for Dogfight" page or screen for everyone to see before anyone starts playing.. which you would think it needs to exist.. it only makes common sense for all players to see the rules if you are going to have rules to be enforced.. sheeesh!

I also agree with you on the point that squadron leaders shouldn't be moderators.. it would make it tough to mute or ban pilots in your own squadron, plus it would make it hard I guess to be completely unbiased when certain situations occurred. I personally LOVE this game & community and I am sure I could be a good moderator but I am not throwing my hat into the ring just to avoid any possible finger pointing due to the above stated reasons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wigbomb, YEMX, Templar, SLA¥ERinc, [TFL] muziki1

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217170

• [NLR] Big*Joe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Meta Gaming 101
Ah wig, the voice of reason ;) there are some good points here as always, but one I would like to address in particular about squad threads. I personally would do nothing more than turn a curse word to a @#%&!, anything more I would leave to squad mod unless content is just too disturbing for a child to see or after some time squad mod fails to (after pm). Each squad has their own way to have fun, express themselves, and even bicker and fight, a global mod shouldn't interfere other than to sensor words not allowed.

PS thanks for the vote of confidence, and you should still be considered for global mod as you are ALWAYS fair and open minded (ask Santa :P )

edit: in game mode should only kick for language, EXCESSIVE Team killing, bombing own hangers (more than once and not by accident) ECT... And not because somebody ruined your game flying some way you didn't like personally. Also a touchy spot will be these stealthy invisible folks, some may not know (happened to me mid-game with wig on my team), but others may be abusing this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wigbomb, YEMX, [NLR] McFate, Khemist Ace

Last edit: by [NLR] Big*Joe.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217171

• Jasonmc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 804
Wig

I agree with pionts you made and disagree with points. Yes any of us involved with any of the stink going around, shouldn't be a mod. I think mod can be a good thing IF used in the right way. If things are deleated or changed I beleive the mod should stay hey I deleated this for this reason. Also the squad threads should be left to moderate themselves, unless it something very bad and that squad moderator refuses to do anything. Last peoples opinions should be allowed to be voiced as long as they do it in a civilized manner.

This i just how i see it. I mean no disrespect

And sorry for helping derail
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wigbomb, YEMX, SLA¥ERinc, [NLR] Big*Joe

Last edit: by Jasonmc.

Potential Moderators 9 years 6 months ago #217174

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
  • Thank you received: 5075
Joe and Jason, my primary concern with the "global forum moderator" concept is the ease with which even a well meaning Mod turns into a subjective censor with a reckless, puritanical red pencil. All that rubbish about me bending the other Mods to my will? What really happened daily in the ModSquad was us hammering each other over minutiae that should have been left to the squad leaders, the system we have now and which is, in my view, an improvement. Just the conflicts between Kevy and me over what does and does not constitute "proper" would make a good Pay-Per-View event.

The M.O.M thread appeals to a mature readership. I let most things fly on it because it's made by grownups for grownups. If kids are seeing it that's the jurisdiction of their parents, not of me or the other adults posting on an adult thread. The Misfits thread appeals to a different audience, as do the L-E and NLR threads. I worry about one narrow set of values being applied to a fairly broad range of content. I object strongly to Jacklpe's "We Love Guns" thread and would not allow a child of mine to read it without supervision and some serious one on one discussion before, during and after. But while I find it reprehensible I stand by its right to exist. I'm not its demographic and neither would be my kids, but there are people in Dogfight who are into that sort of thing regardless of my radically different values.

Again, the cleaning up the forum needs has more to do with random flaming threads than with in-thread content on established threads. Perhaps within that limited scope a global mod would be useful while the game developer is busy fixing the crippled game.

Wigipedia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flying muck, Paul Mantz, Jr., YEMX, suxxor, Jasonmc, SLA¥ERinc, [NLR] Big*Joe

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds