Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #45892

• [e]Sputnik
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Mt. Everest is my home.
  • Thank you received: 863

Slenderman wrote:

oedius wrote: So you can only play Arma2 on a desk top or lap top? I wonder how powerful the PC has to be. And, you just use key board or does it require special controller? My interest is more than peaked. ;)

Desktop for sure. And nah, just regular keyboard & mouse. Though, you can use a joystick and whatnot for vehicles/aircraft.

LOL@Mad's video.

Gosh, I want to play badly now.

Sounds fun

Say you'll never let me go...
A wise sput once said "you laugh at my skills I laugh at your bank account"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #45908

• Slenderman
  • Slenderman's Avatar Topic Author
  • The [e]nigma Corps
  • Thank you received: 849
It sure is. Look into Day-Z gameplay videos. THAT is a crazy game.

It's hilarious when you see hackers in game though. While there aren't many -- you'll very very very rarely see a AH-64 Apache buzz by, guns/rockets blazing. But it's also funny because EVERYONE playing will all try to shoot the helicopter down. Well -- they will if they don't care about conserving ammo. :D

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #46604

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 915

Slenderman wrote: It sure is. Look into Day-Z gameplay videos. THAT is a crazy game.

It's hilarious when you see hackers in game though. While there aren't many -- you'll very very very rarely see a AH-64 Apache buzz by, guns/rockets blazing. But it's also funny because EVERYONE playing will all try to shoot the helicopter down. Well -- they will if they don't care about conserving ammo. :D

thats nothing sledy......go to youtube and type in arma 2 nuke cherno - man those mods to use a russian scud launcher are a destroy all kinda weapon!!!!!

Knives 11 years 6 months ago #46672

• Trigger
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Dork, hiker, boatbuilder, master marksman, dork!
  • Thank you received: 100
My everyday carry knive is a Glock 22... Opens boxes just fine.

Actually I have made a few knives, and own a couple of finer handmades... But my actual carry knife is a Kershaw Clash. I bought it a year ago, fully expecting to ruin it in 6 months like all the ones that came before, but it is still like new. @ $30 it is the best value I have ever seen in a knife. Feels like a blade costing 3 times that amount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]Jacob10000

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53677

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi guys, thought id bump the thread witb a present my wife just ordered me - its not expensive at £25 inc postage from the u.s. But it looks well made - il know when it arrives in 8-10 days but until then i have these pics to look at......

mmmmmm tasty!!!

Slender - you are such a bad influence lol - nice one mate ;)

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53740

• isaactheman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 151

Slenderman wrote:
As you can see, if it were to be used in fighting -- you using slashing motions. With the standard knife, you just make 1 inch by 3-4 inch stabs. With a karambit, you're making long 4-5 inch clean slashes. When the weapon was first developed by the Indonesians & Philipino's -- they would often go for the neck or clavicle bone (collar bone). By simply coming up and "hooking" the collar bone; they would then kick the enemy back -- causing a break. Ouch.

Or you could use a bowie knife/machete and either get 3 inch wide/high (depending on rotation of knife) by 7-9+ inch deep stab or long 7-9+ inch deep jagged slash/ hack (jagged cuts being harder and taking longer to heal than clean slashes, at least, in my experience.) or 6-7+ inch deep throwing wounds.

Though you could argue that, in all technicality, a bowie isn't a standard knife and that a machete is a variation of the sword

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53746

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps

madtothebone1 wrote: Hi guys, thought id bump the thread witb a present my wife just ordered me - its not expensive at £25 inc postage from the u.s. But it looks well made - il know when it arrives in 8-10 days but until then i have these pics to look at......

mmmmmm tasty!!!

Slender - you are such a bad influence lol - nice one mate ;)

Nice karambit! Love the full tang blade! :cheer:

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53760

• CalvinIsAwesome
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fly [e]nigma, or I won't let you fly.
  • Thank you received: 963
Cool knife, Mad.
See you in the skies!

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53865

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

isaactheman wrote:

Slenderman wrote:
As you can see, if it were to be used in fighting -- you using slashing motions. With the standard knife, you just make 1 inch by 3-4 inch stabs. With a karambit, you're making long 4-5 inch clean slashes. When the weapon was first developed by the Indonesians & Philipino's -- they would often go for the neck or clavicle bone (collar bone). By simply coming up and "hooking" the collar bone; they would then kick the enemy back -- causing a break. Ouch.

Or you could use a bowie knife/machete and either get 3 inch wide/high (depending on rotation of knife) by 7-9+ inch deep stab or long 7-9+ inch deep jagged slash/ hack (jagged cuts being harder and taking longer to heal than clean slashes, at least, in my experience.) or 6-7+ inch deep throwing wounds.

Though you could argue that, in all technicality, a bowie isn't a standard knife and that a machete is a variation of the sword

Issac, To a degree i see your point - brutal, kinda like a surgeon using a sledge hammer, I think Slendermans point was a Karambit is a stealth weapon. If used in an inverted hold then you can draw and cut in one sweeping arc - straight across the throat - your enemy wouldnt see it coming! - the bowie they would either see and run / see and be stupid - getting a huge gaping wound or they would pull a gun and shoot you. - the point being, with a kerambit they dont have time to go for the gun - they say giime your wal....(insert gurglung noise here - slender knows hehe) and thats why i like them, a perfect precision tool.

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53869

• CalvinIsAwesome
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Mad, you live in the UK, right? Are gravity assisted knives legal there? I read that switches aren't.
See you in the skies!

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53889

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

CalvinIsAwesome wrote: Mad, you live in the UK, right? Are gravity assisted knives legal there? I read that switches aren't.

Good question - Ive never seen any but i know spring assisted folders are so i guess they may be.... Il find out ;)

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53890

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

CalvinIsAwesome wrote: Mad, you live in the UK, right? Are gravity assisted knives legal there? I read that switches aren't.

Ok Calvin - here is the UK law as it currently stands - Samurai swords are illegal unless they are genuine (antique or made traditionally) but you need a liscence to have one (i have one myself)

Basic laws on knives

It is illegal to:

sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
carry a knife in public without good reason
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)
Knives with folding blades, like Swiss Army knives, are not illegal as long as the blade is 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less.

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

Knives that are illegal

There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives:

flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
disguised knives – eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
gravity knives
sword-sticks
samurai swords
hand or foot-claws
push daggers
kubotan (cylindrical container, holding spikes)
shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
This is not a complete list of banned knives. If you want to check if a knife is illegal or not you should contact your local police force.

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53924

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

isaactheman wrote:

Slenderman wrote:

I see the point of big knives but a karambit is used as a weapon and nothing more - a true karambit is not a utility / hunting tool - it is made to destroy and nothing more......

To see the effectiveness of its use see below.....

this is what a karambit is used for and as you can see it is probsbly the most effective hand to hand combat weapon - check the throat cuts!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]Jacob10000

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53933

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps

isaactheman wrote:

Slenderman wrote:

I believe I have posted this video in the past on a Karambit's effectiveness:

I highly doubt anyone would carry a 440c bowie on their person constantly. Not to mention most people aren't trained in the ability to use it. That being said, it would be extremely hard to get any sort of "7 inch wound". The bowie is very clumsy. They tend to be very poorly balanced (as they're generally a novelty item from cheap knife shops) and made of weak material. You must also keep in mind of the force needed to make a proper cut. Yes, jagged cuts may take longer to heal -- but one needn't worry about that in a "defense situation". You need to focus on disabling your opponent. Not the attacker's healing for the next 3-5 weeks. Sharper blades allow for quicker cutting -- and they ensure you get your knife back. If you've ever had to gut an animal, you'd see that it takes a bit of force to do so. The same applies to a human atttacker. Keep in mind the human attacker is moving as well. This is why stabs (unless your grab your opponent) are a bit hard to get in an defensive situation.

Now, for the actual cuts themselves. Lets say that you manage to actually "get one in" on an attacker with a bowie knife. And someone else gets one in with a karambit. All in the abdomen. This would be the result:

Bowie Knife:

3 inch by 5-6 inch wound

Karambit:

3-4 inch by however long you keep the knife in

Since the blade is curved, it goes in a solid 3-4 inches. And because it has the precision of a straight razor, you can quite literally make any slash as long as possible. But considering you can't necessarily "go in circles" around an attacker to get some crazy cut -- you could easily ensure a 1 foot cut across the abdomen.

And due to to the curvature of the blade, it is very easy to withdraw after such a slash. The bowie knife (and bayonets) often get lodged and are unable to be freed.

For example, in the American Civil War -- many soldiers would only use the bayonet as a last resort. This is because if the blade wasn't properly sharpened or if the bayonet went into bone -- you had to waste time kicking and twisting your rifle free. Thus making you a big open target.

And finally, a folding karambit is extremely compact & socially acceptable to carry on your person unlike a clunky bowie knife. :lol:

In the very end -- it's pointless to talk about knives in self defense situations. This is because most attacks happen in an "ambush" style. The victim doesn't necessarily have the time to pull a knife as he's already wounded to begin with.

This is why I prefer choosing a knife based on EDC functionality. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edit: by Slenderman.

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #53935

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps
By the way Mad -- look into joining a Silat martial arts course.

While I prefer Krav Maga, I only joined during first initial weeks when they covered K-Bits. I thought I was good before; but they can REALLY teach you.

Also, having a basic understanding of human anatomy is priceless in Silat training. For example, you could quite literally cut the inside of both knees (even just a 1-2 cm cut), clipping key tendons causing an opponent to collapse. Yeah.

Look into Silat classes. :cheer:

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54008

• CalvinIsAwesome
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Wow, Mad, that's pretty harsh! Tight laws... I'm fourteen, and I could walk around town w/ an 8" Italian Stiletto, as long as it wasn't concealed. :P Lol, I think seeing a kid walking around with this in his hand would cause more trouble than having it hidden. ;)
See you in the skies!

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54113

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Slender, you missed the crucial part in differences of bowie v karambit. That is the time it takes to draw the knife and strike with it (in whichever way suits the weapon) a big knife needs a long draw, during this elapsed time you are open to attacks, with a karambit you just pull it toward the target and because its an extention of your fist ......it literraly takes the same time as throwing a punch! I know what id rather use!

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54114

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok so my first attempt at buying a karambit didnt work out so well, this was due to uk laws and ebay regarding it as a weapon? Really? Duh!

So last night i went ninja, real deep into the internet and ordered (free delivery) and paid for..............

the Gil Hibben claw II® - seeing video reviews it has great ergonomics, its full tang and looks very erm tasty!
Apparently itd double edged too! But.....not razor sharp so il be playing with getting it shave-ready lol.
The handles are micca and it is made of 420j stainlesd steel that has a bead-blast finish.

It was £22.44 inc the delivery from china (united cutlery).
Its cheap but its my first one and people are saying its a good knife?
Time will tell but i cant wait for it to arrive!

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54261

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps

madtothebone1 wrote: Slender, you missed the crucial part in differences of bowie v karambit. That is the time it takes to draw the knife and strike with it (in whichever way suits the weapon) a big knife needs a long draw, during this elapsed time you are open to attacks, with a karambit you just pull it toward the target and because its an extention of your fist ......it literraly takes the same time as throwing a punch! I know what id rather use!

Ah, that's true as well. Especially with the "wave" feature found on Fox & Emerson k-bits.

It's already saved me several times since I purchased the Fox Karambit! I've had my left hand full -- but still in need of puncturing/cutting away some packaging. With the wave feature, all I have to do is literally lift the k-bit by the "ring" and presto! Already deployed. :lol:

Nice purchase!

I can't stress this enough though -- either make a heavy duty blade sheath...or buy a freakin' trainer. You have no idea. I was playing with it on the first day and thought I was doing pretty good. Until I nearly nicked a vein in the middle of my forearm. :P

However, the worst injury was due to me being dumb. I was sitting outside, watching a storm roll in while doing various maneuvers with my karambit. I guess I forgot where my legs were because -- slice! I cut myself pretty deep. I now have a nice scar right there -- but it healed up just fine. Took forever to stop the bleeding, heh. Thankfully I had just sharpened it. So in all honesty, it didn't hurt that bad. I've had more painful papercuts.

Seriously -- what is up with that? I don't understand how a flesh wound would hurt less than those damn stinging papercuts.

Ahahah, anyways -- enjoy your purchase, Mad! :lol:

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54288

• CalvinIsAwesome
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
C'mon, man, you're a doctor! (In training) A papercut hurts more because the fingers are the part that usually gets cut, and the finger is the most nerve-dense area on the body. :P

As for the trainer... Don't buy an expensive one, I found a folding karambit trainer w/ a wave for only 15 bucks. As long as you don't try to use it or anything, there's no reason that a knockoff shouldn't be good enough. :)
See you in the skies!

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54325

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps
I specialize in cardiopulmonary function, Calvin.

I'm no dermatologist, nor did I feel like Googling the answer, heh.

Last edit: by Slenderman.

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54366

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yup n maybe not as sharp (slederman will attest!) thus reducing practice based injury!! - get it sharpened / buy a better one once you accumilate the skill not to *ahem* lose body parts while practising.

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54372

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps
:S

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54374

• Paul Mantz, Jr.
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 6460
I truly reading this thread. I use my knives for things like cutting line on the boat & slicing filet mignon.

Knives 11 years 5 months ago #54376

• killerbadger
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 38

Slenderman wrote:

madtothebone1 wrote:

Slenderman wrote:

isaactheman wrote:

Jacob10000 wrote:

Slenderman wrote: Yes. But it's too "Cowadooty"/tacticool for my tastes.^

Wth is cowadooty? Lol

Call of duty mockery?

And "Tacticool".

Too often anymore do you see people who believe they're weapon experts -- because they play Cowadooty or Battlederp. Or you seem them being tacticool with their airsoft guns attaching 4 flashlights/lasers, etc.

This is why I don't like Call of Duty or other major FPS games too much.

I like the originals though. (CoD1 for PC, BF1942, etc)

try DayZ For a great cod style (but way way way better and more realistic) game!!!!

YES. I love Day-Z. By far the coolest Arma 2 mod ever released.

You literally cannot trust anyone. Morals do not apply to that game. Insanity.

Plus there's nothing like raiding a robber's camp and stealing tents. :lol:

If you like Arma2/ DayZ, my brother has a Life server, a domination server, and a DayZ server. On Arma 2 just look up RDX. (He's a head admin, he doesn't actually run the servers)

Knives 11 years 4 months ago #61188

• MaD!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It seems karambits are a rare thing over here as many class them as illegal weapons (they arent listed as such though?) anyway - after much searching, hunting, frustration etc i found one, i ordered it and i just got back from the post office........

The pics online didnt do it justice, it was very "budget" but i can say that it is razor sharp, solidly made, has no play in the blade and feels very comfortable - the finger ring is a tad small but still useable. all for £16 inc postage from Germany!

Knives 11 years 4 months ago #61249

• Slenderman
  • The [e]nigma Corps
I'm thoroughly impressed, great buy. :D

I've found my karambit to be the most useful knife I've ever purchased. It's great for -- everything! Incredibly versatile. But hey, what can you expect from one of the world's first utility knives? Thanks Indonesians & Philipinos for your ancient designs. :cheer:

Have you gotten the "wave" function down? :)

Knives 11 years 4 months ago #61259

• Hospitaller [V]
  • Thank you received: 11
I have a couple of Spydercos... one a semi-serrated endura and the other a serrated POLICE. I have a kershaw Blur, and a really cool Emerson. I'm not a collecter, I just come by these things through my job.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Edmund Burke

Knives 11 years 3 months ago #61270

• |111th|Kevy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
A little off topic but you guys should know. I bought my wife an inexpensive ceramic kitchen knife and I'm impressed.I could see retiring a few of my favorites if they really last 5 years without sharpening. My question is do they really last and hold an edge or is chipping and other failures more common? Best brand?

Knives 11 years 3 months ago #61271

• [NLR]Jacob10000
  • Thank you received: 1711
Try sharpening your other knives on the side and back of the ceramic knife. I can put a surgical edge on anything with mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: |111th|Kevy

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds