Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176847

• [M] Congress
  • [M] Congress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I am POW/MIA, but I shall return!
  • Thank you received: 412
Okay,

So, if you think about it. The Great War, was a Trench Warfare styled war involving multiple European Countries. Planes were one of the newest technologies, but planes never saw much action in the war. If you watch "All Quiet on the Western Front" there is a plane, not revealed that flys and casts a shadow over the trenches, but it doesn't bomb or shoot enemies.

These planes that are available in the hangar. Are they really WW1 style planes, or are they post-world war 1 planes. Think about it. Planes didn't have auto turrets or guns on them until at least the early 1930s. There were some planes in WW1 that had the pilot manually drop bombs on enemies, but I imagined they didn't do this to frequently for very good reasons. Just wondering what your input or history tells you.

This is a great game, but is it reflective of the times of the Great War in an early age of human flight?

The Congress :)
I SHALL RETURN!

The Congress has declared war on Dogfight. Watch out... Congress is in Session!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176856

• ZebraUp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Flying & Fighting with STYLE!
  • Thank you received: 4244

You really need to read up on the history of WWI aviation.. it will enlighten you immensely as well as it is very interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [M] Congress

Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176869

• SkyDavis
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 111th Falcon squad
  • Thank you received: 836
All of them are ww1 aircraft. Some are early war aircraft like the Acro Dh and the Fokker E.III along with the N 11. The other aircraft like the Spad 13 N 17 triplanes Se5a and albatrosses can be considered mid and late war aircraft. During ww1 they did not have auto turrets they just had another pilot standing up in the back seat hanging on to his machine gun for dear life. They could drop bombs from the bottom of their aircraft with the flip of a switch or the pull of a lever. There bombs were not quite as big as ours are but they had many small ones many 3 or 4 under the belly of the plane. Each one of these had the punch needed to take out a buildings structure support and cause it to come down to the ground. Considering the buildings they were bombing at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: |111th|tSwopCaml, [M] Congress, [TFL] Robert33

Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176874

• EchoSaber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 271
Watch FlyBoys, it will help you understand...awesome movie
WoT ingame name - Nijenrode
The following user(s) said Thank You: |111th|tSwopCaml, [M] Congress

Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176905

• zuperman
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13142
You can also look up on youtube the history channel and the first dogfighters. They have a bunch of documentaries about the real history of planes and guns. Here some for fun

Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176913

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398

Congress wrote: Okay,

So, if you think about it. The Great War, was a Trench Warfare styled war involving multiple European Countries. Planes were one of the newest technologies, but planes never saw much action in the war. If you watch "All Quiet on the Western Front" there is a plane, not revealed that flys and casts a shadow over the trenches, but it doesn't bomb or shoot enemies.

These planes that are available in the hangar. Are they really WW1 style planes, or are they post-world war 1 planes. Think about it. Planes didn't have auto turrets or guns on them until at least the early 1930s. There were some planes in WW1 that had the pilot manually drop bombs on enemies, but I imagined they didn't do this to frequently for very good reasons. Just wondering what your input or history tells you.

This is a great game, but is it reflective of the times of the Great War in an early age of human flight?

The Congress :)

At the beginning of the war planes were glorified, powered kites. Their use for reconnaissance was the original justification for them. Pilots started bringing guns up to try to shoot enemy scout planes. The first mounted guns were not front shooting. It was a huge development to synchronize the machine guns so they would not hit the propellers.

The ww1 aerial arms race was responsible for huge developments. There are some great videos and books about it. B)

Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176917

• horriblebreast
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fly hard, die hard!
  • Thank you received: 6101
this is an interesting thread topic. i was wondering how many people that play this game are also interested in the great war. i'd imagine we have some history buffs out there. ww1 is my main focus for some reason, so when i saw this game available i downloaded it only because it was a ww1 game. i've never played a flying game or a huge online game before, but this game is awesome!

what makes it awesome is the historical accuracy of the planes. all of them were combat planes used over the trenches and in all of the theatres of operation. it is true, in 1912 planes weren't what we think of today. at the beginning of the war in 1914 planes still weren't used for any tactical purpose other than observation. the observers were the stars of the day with the pilots simply playing chauffeur. all that changed when pilots started to "have a go" at the next man and began bringing pistols and rifles up with them. soon propellers were fitted with deflection shields in an attempt to fire bullets through the propeller. it worked, but every 12th or 13th bullet would bounce off the propeller and go buzzing around the cockpit. yikes. then in 1915 tony fokker developed the interrupter gear and true fighter planes were born. that plane is represented in the game by the monowing german plane. pretty cool indeed.

so what the heck? rock the discotheque!

Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176943

• Donm775
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 174

*[M] McFate wrote: The first mounted guns were not front shooting. It was a huge development to synchronize the machine guns so they would not hit the propellers.

Hmmm... That's a really good point... I knew where the guns were mounded but I never thought about the fact that they were shooting through the propeller! That's crazy!

Mind BLOWN!! :blink:

Are these WW1 planes really WW1 Planes 10 years 1 week ago #176949

• [TFL] muziki1
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 180
In the early 70s I subscribed to the "cross and cockade magazine.
I have always had a keen interest in 1st world war aviation and an admiration for those who fought. I see they have a website now.
Here is the link
www.crossandcockade.com/#sthash.sJUW3wTQ.dpbs

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds