Fokker Dr.1 Triplane (Red Baron) 11 years 5 months ago #54750

• zuperman
  • zuperman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13142
Sources: aviationfilm.com/aircraft/dr1_richthofen425/index.shtml
www.fighterfactory.com/fokker-dr-i-replicas

One of the most famous fighter aces of all time, Baron Manfred von Richthofen, like many of his contemporaries, actually served in a ground-based (infantry) unit before transferring to the Imperial German Army Air Service (Luftstreitkräfte) in 1916.

He was a fast learner, and after only a month in the air had already achieved 'Ace' status with six victories against Allied aircraft. As his reputation grew he began painting the fuselage of his aircraft (initially an Albatros D.III) bright red, and became known to the British as the 'Red Baron', and to the French as the 'Red Devil'.

In January 1917 he became the commanding officer of Jasta 11 and by June 1917 he was commanding Jagdgeschwader 1, a combined force of four individual Jasta (fighter squadrons).

While pursuing an Allied aircraft on 21 April 1918, von Richthofen was shot down. Canadian Sopwith Camel pilot Arthur Brown was officially creditted with the 'kill' but other evidence suggests that Richthofen may have been killed by a single bullet fired from Australian ground troops. Initially buried in France with full military honours (by the Allies), Richthofen's body was later exhumed and reburied in the family cemetery at Wiesbaden (Germany).

From Fighter Factory:
The Dr. is perhaps the most recognizable aircraft of WWI. It was thought by some to be too slow and too small until it became obvious that its superior maneuverability made it a potent weapon. Flying a prototype, Werner Voss shot down 10 British aircraft in six days of combat.
Baron von Richthofen shot down his last 20 aircraft in Dr.I’s and the Baron told Tony Fokker that it “climbed like a monkey and maneuvered like the devil”.
There are many replicas of the Dr.I flying, but no originals survive.

Manufacturer: Fokker

Engine:

Horsepower:

Max Speed: 115 mph

Weight: 1,295 lbs

Ceiling: 19,600 feet
The following user(s) said Thank You: junkhole61

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fokker Dr.1 Triplane (Red Baron) 11 years 5 months ago #54778

• Allied
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • God save the Queen!
  • Thank you received: 162
I saw this and said this:Zuperman is back???!!!
our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen! Send her victorious, Happy and glorious, Long to reign over us, God save the Queen!
[IMG]img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb200912171940...320px-Union_flag_160[IMG]

Fokker Dr.1 Triplane (Red Baron) 11 years 5 months ago #54780

• Gary-the-pink
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 111

zuperman wrote: Sources: aviationfilm.com/aircraft/dr1_richthofen425/index.shtml
www.fighterfactory.com/fokker-dr-i-replicas

One of the most famous fighter aces of all time, Baron Manfred von Richthofen, like many of his contemporaries, actually served in a ground-based (infantry) unit before transferring to the Imperial German Army Air Service (Luftstreitkräfte) in 1916.

He was a fast learner, and after only a month in the air had already achieved 'Ace' status with six victories against Allied aircraft. As his reputation grew he began painting the fuselage of his aircraft (initially an Albatros D.III) bright red, and became known to the British as the 'Red Baron', and to the French as the 'Red Devil'.

In January 1917 he became the commanding officer of Jasta 11 and by June 1917 he was commanding Jagdgeschwader 1, a combined force of four individual Jasta (fighter squadrons).

While pursuing an Allied aircraft on 21 April 1918, von Richthofen was shot down. Canadian Sopwith Camel pilot Arthur Brown was officially creditted with the 'kill' but other evidence suggests that Richthofen may have been killed by a single bullet fired from Australian ground troops. Initially buried in France with full military honours (by the Allies), Richthofen's body was later exhumed and reburied in the family cemetery at Wiesbaden (Germany).

From Fighter Factory:
The Dr. is perhaps the most recognizable aircraft of WWI. It was thought by some to be too slow and too small until it became obvious that its superior maneuverability made it a potent weapon. Flying a prototype, Werner Voss shot down 10 British aircraft in six days of combat.
Baron von Richthofen shot down his last 20 aircraft in Dr.I’s and the Baron told Tony Fokker that it “climbed like a monkey and maneuvered like the devil”.
There are many replicas of the Dr.I flying, but no originals survive.

Manufacturer: Fokker

Engine:

Horsepower:

Max Speed: 115 mph

Weight: 1,295 lbs

Ceiling: 19,600 feet

millstonenews.com/2012/11/world-war-i-fl...-carleton-place.html

And our aviation museum in ottawa is also well decked out
www.aviation.technomuses.ca/collections/.../aircraft/by_period/
The best pilots aim to please ;)

• Page: