TOPIC:

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353585

• Agent003{WP*}
  • Agent003{WP*}'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Thank you received: 968
So I'm going off everything I know and have read, correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

A lot of people tend to be disappointed in Zuperman for all the bugs and issues with Elite. I'm not trying to talk about anyone in specific. This is directed towards the community as a whole. I know that not a huge amount of players know what it's really like to be zup. I'm gonna try and give everybody some perspective.

I'm not a programmer, I'll say that right now. The most I can do is draw a simple picture with JavaScript. But I know a lot of programmers and I know how a lot of it works. Anyone want to guess what kind of coding it takes to make a game like this? With rules, entities, systems, and linking user interface with terrain, websites, and servers? I don't know the exact number, but I can tell you it's probably not less than 10-12 THOUSAND lines of code. In a word document with 1 inch margins and 12 pt. font, thats the better part of a gigabyte in pages. Now in raw text with no format or margins it's less, but I thought I'd give you a number in easy things to understand. It very well may be HUNDREDS of thousands of lines of code, depending on the code language and some other factors. But bottom line. That is a metric crud ton of code to write.

Now when zup started this idea, and I challenge you to find the DF Elite Kickstarter page, he had a team. From what I've read, money got tight back if df1 and he had to lay off everyone else. He is the only employee of Echoboom Apps. That alone is sad. But without coworkers he has a massive amount of work every day. Trust me, its a full time job for sure.

Here's a big reason why he made the Throw me all those bugs thread. Whenever one lf those issues comes up, he's gotta spend so much time to fix each one. So every time Joaquin needs to figure out why some users are crashing, or why entities are jumping around, he has so scour that massive amount of code for the issue. Sometimes he knows where to look, and other things he doesn't. So a lot of things, the poor guy has to spend 8, 10, 12 HOURS looking and investigating to find the problem. And several more hours to fix it and send out the patches.

If I was him, I'd struggle with waking up day after day thinking, I have to do this and this and this to keep people playing today. But he has to do it. I might be motivated a bit by the fact that I've created something that hundreds of thousands of people are a part of. But I sense that he's a tiny bit of a perfectionist, as am I. And he's frustrated that he has to fix so many problems before he can focus on making his vision a reality. That's hard.

Zup also doesn't get paid much, despite what some may think. There are lots of expenses running a business. Just for dogfight elite, it takes the initial game purchases of THOUSANDS of users just to cover the cost of one years app market fees. And he has to devote time to his other apps and business affairs too. Plus, the guy also has a life to live, groceries to buy, meals to eat.

So trust me, Joaquin is certainly doing all he can to make this thing the best it can be. I get frustrated at the bugs too, but I play on with hope and trust in the vision for this game, because I know zup can make it happen one day.

Thanks for reading, I know that was long. Joaquin, have a Merry Christmas and I thank you for all you've done for us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]*XxXxX*, [NLR]Jacob10000, [NLR] McFate, ZebraUp, D- CC RIDER, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, Acegirl, R E Z, WB|War hawk1-5, [NLR]Mysterio and 5 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353592

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4939

Agent003{WP} wrote: So I'm going off everything I know and have read, correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

A lot of people tend to be disappointed in Zuperman for all the bugs and issues with Elite. I'm not trying to talk about anyone in specific. This is directed towards the community as a whole. I know that not a huge amount of players know what it's really like to be zup. I'm gonna try and give everybody some perspective.

I'm not a programmer, I'll say that right now. The most I can do is draw a simple picture with JavaScript. But I know a lot of programmers and I know how a lot of it works. Anyone want to guess what kind of coding it takes to make a game like this? With rules, entities, systems, and linking user interface with terrain, websites, and servers? I don't know the exact number, but I can tell you it's probably not less than 10-12 THOUSAND lines of code. In a word document with 1 inch margins and 12 pt. font, thats the better part of a gigabyte in pages. Now in raw text with no format or margins it's less, but I thought I'd give you a number in easy things to understand. It very well may be HUNDREDS of thousands of lines of code, depending on the code language and some other factors. But bottom line. That is a metric crud ton of code to write.

Now when zup started this idea, and I challenge you to find the DF Elite Kickstarter page, he had a team. From what I've read, money got tight back if df1 and he had to lay off everyone else. He is the only employee of Echoboom Apps. That alone is sad. But without coworkers he has a massive amount of work every day. Trust me, its a full time job for sure.

Here's a big reason why he made the Throw me all those bugs thread. Whenever one lf those issues comes up, he's gotta spend so much time to fix each one. So every time Joaquin needs to figure out why some users are crashing, or why entities are jumping around, he has so scour that massive amount of code for the issue. Sometimes he knows where to look, and other things he doesn't. So a lot of things, the poor guy has to spend 8, 10, 12 HOURS looking and investigating to find the problem. And several more hours to fix it and send out the patches.

If I was him, I'd struggle with waking up day after day thinking, I have to do this and this and this to keep people playing today. But he has to do it. I might be motivated a bit by the fact that I've created something that hundreds of thousands of people are a part of. But I sense that he's a tiny bit of a perfectionist, as am I. And he's frustrated that he has to fix so many problems before he can focus on making his vision a reality. That's hard.

Zup also doesn't get paid much, despite what some may think. There are lots of expenses running a business. Just for dogfight elite, it takes the initial game purchases of THOUSANDS of users just to cover the cost of one years app market fees. And he has to devote time to his other apps and business affairs too. Plus, the guy also has a life to live, groceries to buy, meals to eat.

So trust me, Joaquin is certainly doing all he can to make this thing the best it can be. I get frustrated at the bugs too, but I play on with hope and trust in the vision for this game, because I know zup can make it happen one day.

Thanks for reading, I know that was long. Joaquin, have a Merry Christmas and I thank you for all you've done for us.

That is the Post of the year brother. Thank you for that informative and much needed support for Zup. Merry Christmas Zuperman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, airwolff, Agent003{WP*}

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353603

• Agent003{WP*}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Also, let's not forget how much time and money go towards maintaining the servers we play on. Servers alone take a lot of money to buy. And there is a lot of config work and maintenance that has to be done. Plus servers take up a tremendous amount of electricity and bandwidth

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353607

• Agent003{WP*}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
And thanks Cypher, that means a lot bro

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353608

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Agent003{WP} wrote: Also, let's not forget how much time and money go towards maintaining the servers we play on. Servers alone take a lot of money to buy. And there is a lot of config work and maintenance that has to be done. Plus servers take up a tremendous amount of electricity and bandwidth

The game has actually been really smooth for me last couple days. With a few laggy periods. But all in all good. Except the keyboard flight controls and chat overlapping. And I really get slaughtered in ww2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Agent003{WP*}

Last edit: by Cypher7{WP}.

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353627

• pmoon1{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 851
Now that you mention it the lag has not been an issue lately! Huh! Funny how you don't miss it when it's gone! Bravo Zup!

What doesn't kill you can hurt like the dickens!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cypher7{WP}, Agent003{WP*}

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353665

• Airborne Kiwi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Who said Kiwi's couldn't fly?
  • Thank you received: 518
The perfect message to relay Agent! That was well rounded and got to the point. Zuperman, take a bit of a break, have a week or so off. You have deserved it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cypher7{WP}, Agent003{WP*}

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353672

• Husky Dog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3536
I'll tell you what he goes through! He goes swimming through his mountains of gold bouillon that he makes from my two bucks a month! THAT's what he does! Scrooge McDuck ain't got nothin on this guy!

To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into thy bosom’s core
The following user(s) said Thank You: TXLAWMAN, acefreely, Cypher7{WP}

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353673

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
And he still wont cough up the Camaro

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353674

• Bingo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If at First you don't Succeed, Give Up!
  • Thank you received: 463
Zup wakes up everyday at zero dark thirty. Takes his dog out to poop on his neighbour's lawn. Doesn't bother to bring a baggy cuz it is still dark out. With his bathrobe half open and his junk flailing to and fro, he quickly scoots across the road to steal the morning news paper from the doorstep of the pretty brunette with the unibrow. He then surreptitiously ducks back in the house, kicks off his slippers to sit at the kitchen table to read the 4015 emails from E.A.G.L.E,
Subject "Someone said the word FART in WC"
He then deletes all unread email from his inbox.
Sips coffee
Looks at the performance stats of the previous 24 hours of DF elite.
Shakes his head and looks to the heavens and asks WHY?
He then checks the balance of the previous day's purchases of coin,.
Shakes his head again, looks to the heavens and asks WHEN?

Buy some coin and support the Game

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cricket, TXLAWMAN, acefreely, Cypher7{WP}

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353676

• Husky Dog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
FART!

The following user(s) said Thank You: TXLAWMAN

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353679

• Agent003{WP*}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
lol you guys are froot loops if I've ever seen 'em. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: TXLAWMAN, DireWolf{WP}

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353680

• DireWolf{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In all of us lies a wolf..waiting.
  • Thank you received: 2604

Agent003{WP} wrote: lol you guys are froot loops if I've ever seen 'em. :lol:

:lol:

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353684

• D- CC RIDER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Never suffer fools lightly .
  • Thank you received: 5843
Excellent thread Agent . You said it exactly how it is . I have a lot of admiration for someone who puts something like this together on his own without help and tries his best to make it work . No matter how hard you try you are never going to please everybody . Tyre kickers are a plenty in the car of life . People complain at every little issue but have they ever done something as big as this .....answer usually is no . Sometimes Zup comes into game testing and dosnt say anything . People then say " dam he's ignorant because he just came and left " . They don't realise or think that he maybe flat out trying everything he can think of to fix an issue that they posted on thread and he hasn't got the time to fart let alone sit there jawing about another problem someone just thought of that will break his concentration on the issue at hand . When he does have time he does chat and is quite a funny bloke when he gets going in game with you . He is very passionate about this game and I can see that in his effort to try and please everyone as best as he can . He can't help it if your device is outdated and dosnt support the platforms that are needed to run this game . If it was that easy we would still be using Commodore 64 's to do our office work . I own and run several businesses and can tell you it's a pain in the ass trying to please just my staff let alone customers . I have to renew my office computers every 3 years as there are programs that simply won't run on the old systems . So sometimes it may not be Zups fault that your device dosnt support the game . So feel free to vent your anger out at Apple , or Windows or the maker of your android device . How dare they make a new model . Oh and if you aren't a subscriber then why complain it's free isn't it ? . That's why Zup put the crown on your avitar , its easy to see who in a subscriber and who isn't :) . So with that Merry Xmas Zup and keep up the good work . Hope one day you get the rewards you deserve for the effort you are putting in . From a happy customer CC .
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]Jacob10000, [NLR] McFate, infernal, Agent003{WP*}, DireWolf{WP}

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353685

• Agent003{WP*}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Well said Sir CC. I'm glad you found my post interesting.

Merry Christmas!
The following user(s) said Thank You: D- CC RIDER

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353686

• Husky Dog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You forgot about Unity! Freakin Unity!

Oh, and just a by the by. I am a subscriber and have been for years. Don't ask me why the crown doesn't show up on my posts.

Sniff... always a bridesmaid, never a bride

The following user(s) said Thank You: TXLAWMAN

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353693

• D- CC RIDER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Agent003{WP} wrote: Well said Sir CC. I'm glad you found my post interesting.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you again Agent bro , and Merry Christmas to you and the Pack :)

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353694

• D- CC RIDER
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Husky Dog wrote: You forgot about Unity! Freakin Unity!

Oh, and just a by the by. I am a subscriber and have been for years. Don't ask me why the crown doesn't show up on my posts.

Sniff... always a bridesmaid, never a bride

You might need to email echoboom if you haven't already Husky . Maybe your payment isn't going to Zup and to your provider instead :dry: . I'm sure can fix that one without too much hassle .

An Idea what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353726

• Gannet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4454
But Wait, there's more:

Last edit: by Gannet.

An Idea what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353727

• Gannet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4454
Agent, you forgot:
The cost of the endless cups of coffee.

The doctors bills to treat the liver problems brought on by the caffeine overload.
The psychologist fees for helping Zup cope with the schizophrenia symptoms that having a the two names and personalities, Zuperman and Joaquin.

The psychiatrist cost for treating the paranoia caused by the unending complaints about the faults in his creation.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

Last edit: by Gannet.

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353735

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Husky Dog wrote: FART!

Husky man........ You got to stop eating that cheap ars bacon being imported from south of the border, stick with Grade A Canadian maple smoked heaven. Because that fart you just squeaked out of your ars neck ,would have made Hulk turn back into Bruce banner. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :huh: :huh: :ohmy: :ohmy: :unsure: :unsure: :angry: :sick: :angry: :sick:

Some one turn on the rear defarter before every one leaves the game. You can see ace already bookin it back to the Islands lololol

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353739

• TXLAWMAN
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Life is tough. It's tougher when you are stupid.
  • Thank you received: 3499

This is what I think a day in Zups life is like:

Thanks for your efforts Joaquin! Have a Merry Christmas. I wish I could've found a better Doug and Wendy Whiner sketch, but I have limited attention and motivation. :lol:

RIP CRAZYWOLF
The following user(s) said Thank You: acefreely, Cypher7{WP}

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353741

• acefreely
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 805
Did someone say fart? Had to stop by and laugh .. I would like to also say thanks zup for coming into games and testing, gives me a break from being abused by Dixie and cricket..Which hold me down and water board me and take away my birthday and steal my lunch money...They also call me slow and refer to my shooting as Ray Charles like. I'll save the rest for my therapist.

An Idea of what Zup Goes Through Everyday 7 years 4 months ago #353789

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2783
I've been enjoying playing this game for years, although for quite some time now it I am clearly free of the addiction.

Unity provides more pre-made assets, terrains, flight caractristics and what not than any flight sim dev needs, i think it is quite admirable that Zup insists on programming everything himself.
The game is at the exact sweetspot of being a fun game, a historically somewhat interesting background and a socially easily accessible gaming community. (Too much historical accuracy will alianate players that are just in it for the fun, too little promise of historically correct improvements will make history-buffs go to historically realistic games already out there.)

The community he let evolve around the game is still unique, and the loyalty to the game is amazing.

Zup, stay illusive! Keeping them guessing about you is a big part of your success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]Jacob10000, TXLAWMAN, Gannet, Agent003{WP*}

Last edit: by Rudolf Rednose.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.728 seconds