TOPIC:

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #247427

• GHOSTRIDER1
  • GHOSTRIDER1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Yippie Die Yo Yippie Die Yay
  • Thank you received: 1873
I use an iPhone 4 to play the game, when I first started I used 3G at home to play and it always worked fine. When we lived in El Paso dependable Internet just simply wasn't available in our neighborhood. When we move back to North Texas and got dependable Internet I started using Wi-Fi to play the game.however, when we when I do, after about 1 to 2 minutes of play everybody disappears but they can still see me and shoot me. I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with mywi-Fi, my router, or my device. I don't have any problems on my laptops, or desktops, or streaming videos on any device. The problem only seems to occur when playing the game.Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated I can manage to hook these things up but I'm not very tech savvy in terms of diagnosing any problems I use an iPhone4 have 10/2 DSL and have a decent router (though I did buy it from the phone company)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #247640

• GHOSTRIDER1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bump

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #247648

• [*M] bware
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • raised on a moisture farm, moved to a point farm
  • Thank you received: 2173
Although I don't have any experience with DSL, I do know that the connection speed isn't as fast as cable. Have you measured your connection speed on your device? Ookla is a popular app many use for this. Check your upload/download speeds on DSL, then switch your device to cellular data and measure again to compare.

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #247651

• [*M] Pagan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Live every day as if it's your last cos one day...
  • Thank you received: 4857

[*M] bware wrote: Although I don't have any experience with DSL, I do know that the connection speed isn't as fast as cable. Have you measured your connection speed on your device? Ookla is a popular app many use for this. Check your upload/download speeds on DSL, then switch your device to cellular data and measure again to compare.

Are you sure you are connected to your own router, go to settings on phone to make sure. DSL ,DIGITAL SUBSCRIBER LINE usually delivered over copper , is not as fast as CABLE which is a fibre optic means of delivery. Having said that most DSL should be more than fast enough to play DF on. If you have a tablet or laptop available do a speed test and compare it to a speed test done using your phone. I have played ,successfully, with speeds as low as 4meg download and 2meg upload. Although I can still have the sort of problems you describe ,at home ,with speeds of 30 meg download and 12meg upload. I suspect it is a programming glitch ( lag), hopefully the updates may sort the problem.
May the ancestors look down upon your achievements and smile.

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #247692

• [e]hammer_tool
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • ut malleus omnia similis clavum
  • Thank you received: 1285

Be q rth checking to see if there are firmware updates for the router. Also a reboot never hurts. I've had several routers that get wacky after around 45 days. I just reboot mine once a month

ut malleus omnia similis clavum

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #247716

• Whiplash
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Been Doomed since 1990!
  • Thank you received: 3010

Ok first thing for everyone who reboot your modem once a month and if you have to do nothing else and that fixes your issue you 99% need a new router or firmware. I suggest going around all the problems your stock router's firmware has and use DD-WRT for your router firmware. It is open source firmware with many more options, diagnostic ability, power and all. My router has an afterburner ability I never knew about, I can control the power used to send the signal and make it so that my signal doesn't leave my yard so to hack in you would have to be in my driveway or home. See if the have it available for your router and they have all the instructions and all there. I suggest using QoS (Quality of Service) and put your own device in that class on the router. That gives your device priority over others on the network so you should be unable to be affected by other traffic.

www.dd-wrt.com/

And it works on dirt old routers that you may believe are junk. I think my main wireless router is 8 years old
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Aj5cS2yr1O2fenK2

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #247906

• GHOSTRIDER1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Even though it's DSL the cable Internet in my town is awful, I live in a town of about 2000 people and we just don't have the cable infrastructure for good cable Internet and digital cable TV. I am paying for 10 down and two up which is the fastest that my telephone company provides. I usually get no worse than 9.5 down and 2.5 up so it seems to methat my speeds are adequately fast enough to do almost anything I want. My iPhone is the only thing I play games on and I stream video and music regularly on all my devices.

Whip, how would I go about updating the firmware on my router? It's a fairly new router, less than a year, and I just kind of think it's a piece of junk since I bought it from the phone company

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #247941

• [e]hammer_tool
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

even the crappy ones you get from your service provider should be able to be upgraded. Log into it and see what firmware version it has. Some allow you to check for upgrades from the WebUI, others you have to go fetch yourself.

I always buy my own routers now. I'm a netgear user, just because they have a simple UI and don't cost the earth, not because they are the best I could buy. The DD-WRT is a nice unit, and as Whip mentioned since it's open source people do all sorts of cool things to drag out features hidden deep in the silicon.

A hard reset is always a good idea though. Most of these home grade routers where not expected to be running for months at a time, so a reboot just cleans their RAM of any memory leaks and gets them behaving

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #248208

• Whiplash
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Been Doomed since 1990!
  • Thank you received: 3010

GHOSTRIDER1 wrote: Even though it's DSL the cable Internet in my town is awful, I live in a town of about 2000 people and we just don't have the cable infrastructure for good cable Internet and digital cable TV. I am paying for 10 down and two up which is the fastest that my telephone company provides. I usually get no worse than 9.5 down and 2.5 up so it seems to methat my speeds are adequately fast enough to do almost anything I want. My iPhone is the only thing I play games on and I stream video and music regularly on all my devices.

Whip, how would I go about updating the firmware on my router? It's a fairly new router, less than a year, and I just kind of think it's a piece of junk since I bought it from the phone company

Well it's all on the site typically you download the firmware they suggest to start with and do a 30-30-30 reset which is hold the reset for 30 sec. with power then still holding reset pull the power, wait 30 and still holding reset plug the power back in and hold another 30. Usually this is a MUST you can brick your router if you are not careful so make sure you follow what they say. So after the 30-30-30 reset you use the web interface of your router to load the new dd-wrt firmware and then another 30-30-30 and hopefully all went well and you are on ddwrt. Then you can run custom roms for other needs like a media server or vpn or whatever ...I don't have any additional needs so I chose what they gave as best suggestion but you can do anything once it's on, given you have the time and patience to go through it...My only issue I have run into was I had to downgrade the stock firmware to get it to accept ddwrt's firmware and then it was gold. ASUS and other router makers are starting to use ddwrt as their router management software so thats a good vouch for its stability and quality. Let me know if you need any help...you know where to find me hahaahha
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Aj5cS2yr1O2fenK2

Help with Internet/router 9 years 1 month ago #248209

• [e]hammer_tool
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

dont forget to note down your authentication details before you do the reset :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.654 seconds