Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #223997

• Angelic Silencer
  • Angelic Silencer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Who is this mysterious person who only Silences???
  • Thank you received: 291
maybe we should have a manual(or atleast a very obvious link to one) for noobs on how to operate DF and navigate DF on the homepage of DF....right where you land after clicking the 'forum' button.....

stuff that is in it should be like how to join squad.....how to go around the forums....that there is a name change time limit......and squad requesting limit.....etc....etc...(maybe even you have to search the name and not the initials or the squad tag to find a squad on the squad list......)

yes, we normal users can get through the forums and squads sections quite easily.....but it has come to my attention that a BUNCH of noobs still can't do it very well.....(or at all sometimes......)

edit*
i probably should have put this on the feedback section.....my fault guys....force of habit.......
Silencing.....Silencing.....Silencing.....now only if i could mute people.....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ziza, horriblebreast, Sharp Shooter, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, Viper10{WP}, alpha, bravo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Angelic Silencer.

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224038

• alpha, bravo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • squadron leader for Malta Force
  • Thank you received: 73

Angelic Silencer wrote: maybe we should have a manual(or atleast a very obvious link to one) for noobs on how to operate DF and navigate DF on the homepage of DF....right where you land after clicking the 'forum' button.....

stuff that is in it should be like how to join squad.....how to go around the forums....that there is a name change time limit......and squad requesting limit.....etc....etc...(maybe even you have to search the name and not the initials or the squad tag to find a squad on the squad list......)

yes, we normal users can get through the forums and squads sections quite easily.....but it has come to my attention that a BUNCH of noobs still can't do it very well.....(or at all sometimes......)

edit*
i probably should have put this on the feedback section.....my fault guys....force of habit.......

i think that is a great idea that way they have all they need to know. i think that can help to reduce misunderstanding amongst new players. i also think it should include lists of names considered disrespectful and tips on how to use the world chat. example avoiding swear words and writing meaningless stuff. not to forget, it should include shortcuts frequently typed in the game like 'gj' and 'np' ( some noobs thought they were offensive words and created ciaos for nothing).
gj for coming up it such a great idea. :cheer:
c u in the air :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: horriblebreast, Viper10{WP}

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224061

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3431

all this in the forum, busquelo.muchos veterans have written everything you can ayudar.pase pages and look sure there is all the answers Friend

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224070

• horriblebreast
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fly hard, die hard!
  • Thank you received: 6101
a manual for beginners is a very good idea. this game does not provide much information for new pilots as to how to do anything, really. i know in the past zebraup has posted some very helpful threads on how to use the forum and whatnot. the only problem with forum threads is they get buried. often by newer threads expressing a request that old threads have already covered.

so i very much agree with having a separate link outside of the forum.

common problems i hear people having would be:

-what are squads and how do i join?
-what is the forum?
-what is the difference between my game rank, my world rank, and my squad rank?
-i don't know how to operate the squadron i just formed.
-should i upgrade my plane, or buy a different one?
-"oh, that's against the rules?"

so what the heck? rock the discotheque!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ziza, Viper10{WP}, alpha, bravo

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224071

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear
  • Thank you received: 7914

Great idea. Maybe we can just start a thread and sticky it? Perhaps? Possibly?

United We Prowl/Together We Howl

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224084

• Angelic Silencer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Viper10{WP} wrote: Great idea. Maybe we can just start a thread and sticky it? Perhaps? Possibly?

The only problem about sticking is a thread is that they still need to navigate to get to it, UNLESS the link outside if the forum/or on the main page, went directly to it

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224086

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2783
Tip 1: Don't bomb the bridge. Zup has to repair it, wich diverts his attention from making the new two-seater bombers. It won't get you points anyway.

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224087

• Paul Mantz, Jr.
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 6460
Use SEARCH!

It's there!

That's what search is for.
You could have used it and bumped it up.

Common sense dictates that cussing is frowned upon.

Ooopppsss.....sorry....talking to the new leaders of tomorrow....no common sense.

Good luck World.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rudolf Rednose

Last edit: by Paul Mantz, Jr..

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224093

• [*M]ONSTER CANNON
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9167

Rudolf Rednose wrote: Tip 1: Don't bomb the bridge. Zup has to repair it, wich diverts his attention from making the new two-seater bombers. It won't get you points anyway.

Oh and don't shoot MONSTER CANNON.

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224095

• Mac
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • They Hate me, but They Can't get Enough of me...
  • Thank you received: 1411

[*M]ONSTER CANNON wrote:

Rudolf Rednose wrote: Tip 1: Don't bomb the bridge. Zup has to repair it, wich diverts his attention from making the new two-seater bombers. It won't get you points anyway.

Oh and don't shoot MONSTER CANNON.

But Meek 'n' Mild is fair game, he's a bully.

This is a great idea. I had a level 18 spawnkill me twice in a tank in a Dogfight missions yesterday. I then found him in a bombing mission and dropped him 6 times in a row before he quit. As he left, a level 22 said "a kill is a kill, however you get it." Noobs don't even know that tsk'ing is illegal anymore! Of course, it's not like there's a punishment.

The bombing mission is a good story, by the way...

"He's mine, he tank spawnkilled me yesterday" I began.

"So?"

"That's illegal" I said.

"I've never been punished before," he replied. "What's the big deal?"

"How about 'I don't like it'?" I asked, and the killing commenced.

I'm all for a manual. Hell, if you want, I can write it! Let's give some suggestions and figure something out!
You're getting predictable, guys. You can do better, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: alpha, bravo

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224100

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
There are some top players that never bothered with anything that comes close to 'ethical gameplay', or whatever.

Droppers, campers, spawnkillers and the likes. Morafs all the same.

The noob server or in the practice missions might contain nice hints about how to make friends in this game.

But there áre no rules,.......and that's cool!

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224104

• baron rojo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3431

look at my subject (spaw this is right) write some rules for nuebos have an idea.

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224155

• [M]ad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3321

--J-- wrote: Good question. There really is not anything that will get you banned without warning, and any game ruining action can lead to a ban if warnings are not heeded. Things that I feel are game ruining, and can lead to a ban: Repeatedly spawn killing (camping) in any game with the exception of protect the zep, and then only in the last few minutes. Any spawn killing done with a tank. Team killing, the auto ban deals with this, but if I see someone team killing who has multiple complaints by multiple people posted on blacklist, then I may ban. Things that I feel are game ruining, and can lead to a mute: Excessive profanity. It is not such a big deal for the occasional "oops". But when it gets out of hand, and a warning does not work.... Personal attacks in chat-box on an individual. I will not ban for any action that a mute can stop. I leave the forum for the other mods and zup. Most of my muting is done in the world chat. I am very reluctant to ban. I will " kick" rather than ban all but the worst repeat offenders. I will not hunt players down to ban them. I review the black list two or three times a week and take action on those who have a lot of complaints made by a lot of different players. As for bomb droppers: I think that most of the time it's poor sportsmanship, but not always. Those on the short end of a 2:6 game have good reason to drop. I do not take action against droppers, if it is bothering me, I just leave. I know that there are mixed feelings on moderation. Some feel mods take to much action, others feel that not enough action is taken. Some want longer bans/mutes. As a player, forum member, and global moderator, If I could do one thing to improve moderation it would be to get more global moderators. 15 or 20 more responsible moderators who only take action in game would go a long way toward reducing the occurrences of game ruining behaviors.

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224237

• alpha, bravo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

[M]AD wrote:

--J-- wrote: Good question. There really is not anything that will get you banned without warning, and any game ruining action can lead to a ban if warnings are not heeded. Things that I feel are game ruining, and can lead to a ban: Repeatedly spawn killing (camping) in any game with the exception of protect the zep, and then only in the last few minutes. Any spawn killing done with a tank. Team killing, the auto ban deals with this, but if I see someone team killing who has multiple complaints by multiple people posted on blacklist, then I may ban. Things that I feel are game ruining, and can lead to a mute: Excessive profanity. It is not such a big deal for the occasional "oops". But when it gets out of hand, and a warning does not work.... Personal attacks in chat-box on an individual. I will not ban for any action that a mute can stop. I leave the forum for the other mods and zup. Most of my muting is done in the world chat. I am very reluctant to ban. I will " kick" rather than ban all but the worst repeat offenders. I will not hunt players down to ban them. I review the black list two or three times a week and take action on those who have a lot of complaints made by a lot of different players. As for bomb droppers: I think that most of the time it's poor sportsmanship, but not always. Those on the short end of a 2:6 game have good reason to drop. I do not take action against droppers, if it is bothering me, I just leave. I know that there are mixed feelings on moderation. Some feel mods take to much action, others feel that not enough action is taken. Some want longer bans/mutes. As a player, forum member, and global moderator, If I could do one thing to improve moderation it would be to get more global moderators. 15 or 20 more responsible moderators who only take action in game would go a long way toward reducing the occurrences of game ruining behaviors.

what you say is very valid :) that is why I think a noob manual is needed to explain what would you earn a player a mute etc. therefore there is no excuse like "I didn't know". :)

Last edit: by alpha, bravo.

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224238

• alpha, bravo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Rudolf Rednose wrote: There are some top players that never bothered with anything that comes close to 'ethical gameplay', or whatever.

Droppers, campers, spawnkillers and the likes. Morafs all the same.

The noob server or in the practice missions might contain nice hints about how to make friends in this game.

But there áre no rules,.......and that's cool![/quote
yeah, moraf misbehaving? I have seen lots of it too. tips on how to make friends it a great idea. the manual should be included in the practice missions. :)

Noob Manual? 9 years 6 months ago #224240

• [M]ad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3321

alpha, bravo wrote:

[M]AD wrote:

what you say is very valid :) that is why I think a noob manual is needed to explain what would you earn a player a mute etc. therefore there is no excuse like "I didn't know". :)

These are not my words.
J,One of the previous MOD. I just quoted it.

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #226849

• Angelic Silencer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
thx jacob for moving this to its proper location

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229373

• malcolm.dickson
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, as a "Noob" who has been attempting to answer a question about how to play the game (via brilliant plan of utilizing search in the forum), I can attest to the need for a simple, concise, STAND ALONE set of instructions. Totally and entirely seperate from the forum. After searching for some time, I realized I had come across all the information I need to use the forum, start a new thread in the forum, and of utmost import I was instructed how to talk in a proper manner such that I do not offend anyone with my potty-mouth on the forum. I also learned that alot of folks get all worked up over the goofiest of things...like curse words...and it makes me wonder. Indeed, all this information I now posess does absolutely nothing toward conveying the actual rules of the game. If nothing else, it would go a long way toward keeping new players interested longer as they won't have to figure out the game thru trial and error, like I did.

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229455

• Roamer{W.P***}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1058
But I found that it's through trial and error (and some 5 on 1's) that skills are honed. Besides if everyone stayed there would be too many "potty" mouths just hanging around and stuff like that. At least that is my opinion it not not reflect the opinion of the DF community, G.I., etc. etc.

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229462

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned

Larry G. wrote: But I found that it's through trial and error (and some 5 on 1's) that skills are honed. Besides if everyone stayed there would be too many "potty" mouths just hanging around and stuff like that. At least that is my opinion it not not reflect the opinion of the DF community, G.I., etc. etc.

I completely agree,....I think......and so on........

A noob that doesn't hang in there...........good ridness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roamer{W.P***}

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229467

• Roamer{W.P***}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1058
Oh Rudolf you have such a way with words......

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229578

• [NLR]DIS*RUPT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Stay Classy Dogfight
  • Thank you received: 754

I really like the idea of some sort or manual or user guide for the game. I think the only way to truly be effective with it is to have it as some sort of in game menu. Most people who play the game do not look at the forum.

I think this setup would prove most effective.

Attachments:

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229590

• alpha, bravo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

DISRUPT wrote: I really like the idea of some sort or manual or user guide for the game. I think the only way to truly be effective with it is to have it as some sort of in game menu. Most people who play the game do not look at the forum.

I think this setup would prove most effective.

most certainly right.i think that's the way it would work. :)

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229652

• nebular
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2034
Howdy All,

As a relative NOOB I'd like to humbly throw in my 2cents worth....

The idea for a BASIC manual accessible as posted above is a great idea, however I'd like it to stay very basic. Such as a paragraph on how to handle an aircraft, one on how to handle a tank and parachute....

IMHO, part of the fun of the game as it is now is the discovery of how to play and have successful flights and missions.... maybe a small mention of the various pros and cons of certain "tactics" employed in the different missions and a blurb on being civil or else might be in order too....

And then at the bottom it might say something like;

"Be prepared to get blown out of the sky until you have taken the time to develop your skills and discover all the nuances of the game!! Above all HAVE FUN!!"

Many Thanks to Zup for a great game and thanks for all the fun!!

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229655

• alpha, bravo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Nebulas wrote: Howdy All,

As a relative NOOB I'd like to humbly throw in my 2cents worth....

The idea for a BASIC manual accessible as posted above is a great idea, however I'd like it to stay very basic. Such as a paragraph on how to handle an aircraft, one on how to handle a tank and parachute....

IMHO, part of the fun of the game as it is now is the discovery of how to play and have successful flights and missions.... maybe a small mention of the various pros and cons of certain "tactics" employed in the different missions and a blurb on being civil or else might be in order too....

And then at the bottom it might say something like;

"Be prepared to get blown out of the sky until you have taken the time to develop your skills and discover all the nuances of the game!! Above all HAVE FUN!!"

Many Thanks to Zup for a great game and thanks for all the fun!!

I like your approach to the manual :) c u nebulas

Noob Manual? 9 years 5 months ago #229671

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
....but serious,

As a new player you don't know what you don't know. You just wonder how you get hit with one round again and again.
I played for months and still wondered what camping was, and spawnkilling was 'strafing the aerodrome' to me.

Thanks you great aces like Frank Baracca, Gizmo and others to point out what I was doing to piss everyone off.

F.i. I was shooting at guys that had foolishly landed on a hillside like 'sitting ducks' because I didn't know what that was all about.

If you think the term 'noob' by now should not apply to you anymore, start reading the forum. And in chat, don't be affraid to ask anyone for advice. Everyone will love you for that.

Hang in there, hone your skills, bedazzle everyone with your 'stick-to-it-ifness' and with good humor.

Try other games like Storm Raiders and Sky Ramblers only to turn back here to this wonderful community of players.
This game IS going somewhere! (....... well,........we dó have snow now, that's something....or is that gone again?)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.571 seconds