Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225422

• zuperman
  • zuperman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13143
Hi

I've got notification already that the free servers from Microsoft will be gone shortly. Meaning, they will cost an arm to keep running. That's why I had to begin moving servers today and you saw some hiccups for a few hours.

Since I don't want to shut down the game because there is no way to pay for the servers with the purchases on the game, I thought of this idea and let me know what you think.

The servers will be divided into free and premium. Free servers are going to be very cheap low end machines but as soon as it gets a few dozens users I would expect lag. At some point they will get full and people will be required to wait until they unload. All free for everyone.

And then, we will have premium servers. They will have the fastest connection I can afford and be as powerful as possible. Less lag and more space for all pilots. So what would be a fair cost for that? Nobody will be forced to pay, but I'm thinking of maybe $1 a month or $5 for the whole life of the game?

I think it's fair, because I can't support expensive servers right now and people who never purchase anything and keep playing for months are just lagging the connection for everyone else, so at least the pilots that support the game will have a better connection and option to play even when the other servers are full. Any thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr., |111th| MissHell, The striker16, COBRA, --J--, yakuza, GreyGhost, [e]hammer_tool, Whiplash, *EOI* RAPTOR and 30 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225424

• Dr CurtisShoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 802
I would pay to keep this wonderful community afloat. Ive forked over in purchases already, and would do it again. If this would help lag, (pleeeaaaassssse) im all for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nightorado

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225425

• Mr.Becken
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 829
would you still be able to play on Windows 8.1 ?

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225427

• *EOI* RAPTOR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 5126
ZUP, Joaquin, I will be perfectly honest with you, ive paid for the game and played for .. well going on three years..... I love this game, its the only one i play and i really enjoy it on many levels.... i would be willing to pay much more then you have sugested. For me its worth a monthly fee and $5 per month is something i myself would gladly pay..... even to support the free loaders so they can enjoy the game as well....

Cant speak for everyone obviously, and as soonnas i hit submit my PM box with fill with many critical errors i made being honest and what i should be holding out for....
IM BEING HONEST i feel the game is worth much more then what you have mentioned to be a fair price to play..... i would say that it would be nice to keep the freeloaders in too though..... otherwise it be just me and wig playin...... hes far to predictible for tht to stay ineresting for very long...

Thanks fo the game ZUP i do really enjoy it

Flyin and dyin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wigbomb, --J--

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225428

• [*M] MISFIT CROCKETT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 13215
Not only would I pay the $5 for the lifetime but I also would be glad to volunteer to pay for at least 20 others who may not be able to do it. Please let me know.

THANK YOU ZUPERMAN
The following user(s) said Thank You: --J--, [*M]ONSTER CANNON, Ziza

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225429

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674
5 dollars.i will.pay could.you please pm.me.on how to change my account info as i have a new card number

Last edit: by darraxx.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225430

• MightyAce
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • TRAIN INSANE OR REMAIN THE SAME~
  • Thank you received: 527
ugh, I think it's a great idea, but I have the type of parents who are cheap and don't want to buy something stupid.. :( (not calling the game stupid though)And Idk if I won't ever play the game again because I might not be able to do either, not even get the update, Amazon is to slow on their updates!

Last edit: by MightyAce.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225431

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2783
'Can I still play on Windows 8.1'......Becken asked.........

.....and if so,....can everyone have the same placebo effected performance of their planes?

Maybe easier to sell if the graphics vary a bit from the free server.
Maybe some more options would be nice, and so on.

$ 5,--?

All these hours of playing DF would have been enough to work a second job......so money is not the issue for most here.

(Darn......calculating that I could have payed off my morgage already!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wigbomb

Last edit: by Rudolf Rednose.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225433

• _bts
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1091
I would gladly pay too!

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225439

• Squeak
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 362

Ditto what the others say and then some.

This is a great game and we're all thankful for the time and effort you've put into it. But just as important, great companionship lives here. Zup, if it takes $5.00 to help with the new servers, I'm in.

Squeak

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225440

• bobbysox
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 109
a buck a month is too cheap. i would be willing to pay 5 a month....or so much for the year. the lifetime deal backs you, Z, into a corner. less lag is worth paying for...i do sympathise with young players whose parents arent willing to tumble for the money but they can try striking a deal...for for game time...grades for game time...most parents will deal if you give them something they want ( what do they nag you about? )...or they can play the free server.
The following user(s) said Thank You: --J--

Last edit: by bobbysox.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225443

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2783
Just have to bring up the 'Dogfight Elite' again.

I would LEND you money to make that happen. Maybe some more would be willing to do so. 0% interest.

I am nr 350 in the ranking, but I got addicted when I was nr 3000-something. There are far more fanatic players that might like this idea. I guess at least 1000.....they don't have to get the new World of Warcraft and such crap.....and put that money to a far better use: DF Elite (including new servers).

(They are already hooked, so maybe you just have to reel them in?)

Last edit: by Rudolf Rednose.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225445

• bellsaj
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3094
"And then, we will have premium servers. They will have the fastest connection I can afford and be as powerful as possible. Less lag and more space for all pilots."

Less lag...
compared to what?
The free servers, today's servers, or what?
I'm sorry if I sound negative, but as the game is today, it's not the game, but the friendship with other players that keep many players flying the dogfight skies.

I would have no problem what so ever to pay a small fee if you could guarantee that it will be lag free.
I for one would sacrifice fancy water, clouds, detailed this and that and go back to when we got trees if it meant that the lag would also go back to what it was back then.

I like this game and have been around for a good long time, but the game isn't the thrill it used to be (due to lag, screen freeze, the freaking "you got a bad connection, get out" message that pops up when it's the SERVERS that are lagging). If this fee to play on the premium servers would fix that, I'm all in. If not, this is probably the end of the road for me.
Don´t live life faster then your guardian angel can fly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flying muck, Oedius Momicus, Wigbomb, COBRA, ParrotHead, Gizmo., Mac

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225446

• Kamikaze King
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Death is just a part of life! Get used to it!!!
  • Thank you received: 2400
I think it is a small price to pay for such a great game and community. I am in the UK and have an extremely fast internet speed, currently 154mbps download and around 15mbps upload. Perhaps locating a server in the UK may be an option? If I can keep it hidden away from the wife I would be more than happy for you to 'borrow' my internet! ;)

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225449

• Mac
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • They Hate me, but They Can't get Enough of me...
  • Thank you received: 1411
Disappears for 3 months, lets game go to hell, ignores moderator promises, lets dogfacesoldier and others run rampant, then returns for literally no other purpose than to ask for money.

Seems legit.

Give me proof that this product is going anywhere, then we'll talk.

I love ya, and I love this game, but I'm not one to waste money, no matter how little. I could use that one buck a month to buy a Snickers bar.

I've spent almost $50 on this game, I've defended you, and I reached the limit in that "Squad Wars new members" thing you did. Where the heck did all that revenue go?

Edit: To those who are going to rip me for being a jerk to Zup, look at it this way.

All the times I nicely gave feedback and requests clearly didn't amount to much.
You're getting predictable, guys. You can do better, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flying muck, Oedius Momicus, Wigbomb, [*M]Reckless, [TFL] muziki1, [*M]Comet

Last edit: by Mac.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225452

• bobbysox
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
you have to realize that a lot of lag issues are beyond his control. you will never get anything that is 100% gaurenteed to be free of lag. xbox live cost $60 a year...and less than 1/3 the number of players as psn and it has lag. your cable provider...wireless provider...atmospheric conditions...congestion of the network...players from various regions, are just a few of the contributing factors that are out of Z's hands. this isnt candy crush where he is making money hand over fist....i would be surprised if he was breaking even for all his work. so if you are looking for guarentees you are dreaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mac

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225454

• Mac
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • They Hate me, but They Can't get Enough of me...
  • Thank you received: 1411
I understand that completely. But if that's gonna be the way it is, don't say it isn't. I'm okay with no Squad Wars, no moderators, and no control of outrageously ill-behaved players. But if that's the way it's gonna be, don't promise Squad Wars, moderators, and control of outrageously ill-behaved players. Ya catch my drift?
You're getting predictable, guys. You can do better, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flying muck, Oedius Momicus, Wigbomb

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225455

• Grandpappy 9+1 {WP}
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 464

I am a casual player, Zup, number 4800 or something like that, but I would pay to help keep Dogfight alive. Just tell us how. If you are not making money on this game you should do what is needed so you can. I salute you for your hard work to give us this much fun.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225457

• The striker16
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • I have no idea what to put here
  • Thank you received: 445
I would gladly pay to keep this awesome game alive! Don't know what I would do without it!
Official Prodigy Math Officer

. 9 years 5 months ago #225458

• Slash
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 452
The following user(s) said Thank You: --J--

Last edit: by Slash.

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225460

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear
  • Thank you received: 7914

Your suggestion concerning payment for premium servers is more than reasonable. Some of the other suggestions are also worth looking into. You can put me in the "gladly pay" category. This game is great and very entertaining, definitely worth a few bucks compared to the amount of fun I have received from your product.

United We Prowl/Together We Howl

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225461

• bobbysox
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
i catch your drift...seriously i do and i do understand where you are coming from. a lot of times devs will get what they think is a great idea...and i may work out beautifully...and then again may not. hence, the old sayings " looked good on paper" and "back to the drawing board"....so he wasnt the first...lol. i have paid larger amounts of money for a game...paid xbox to play it online ( $60 )..bought several DLCs for the game and got treated way, way, worse by the devs...and these were big time outfits ( multi million dollar biz ). he put this out as a question....as i am sure he is trying every option to keep the thing alive....lets let the dust settle a bit and see what comes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mac

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225463

• [*M]Comet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Take off eh!
  • Thank you received: 11899
I would be willing to pay a one time fee, even more than the 5 bucks if need be. But the servers have to be better than they are. I don't mind lag once in awhile and I get that some things can't be controlled. It needs to be made clear exactly what we're getting for the money. But I am interested for sure.

I also agree with what Mac said, good points.
Bannerless and naked. Whatever...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bellsaj, Oedius Momicus, Mac

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225464

• Digger {WP}
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 550

So here is my two sense for what it is worth. DF is a great game, lots of fun, very enjoyable, a great escape and very addicting, and even better than that is the community of people, the friendships built, the camaraderie and the genuine support offered by many of the pilots to others. There is not one game out there that brings what DF brings to the table. For this, I believe that a yearly membership of (lets say $24.99 for poops and giggles) is not asking much. I understand that there is a community of minors that play this game,but tell me what kid today does not have a DS, WII, Play Station or an XBox? How many kids today pay for an annual XBox Live membership? And how do these kids come to attain these game consoles, memberships and games? Probably, mom and dad. So I do not see paying as a problem for many if anyone. If parents say no, then I agree with bobbysox, let the kids strike a deal with the parents,maybe earn some money,now there is a novel idea.

Now all that being said, I also believe that their should be some assurances from ZUP that these new servers will be lag free, that we will see some up grades to our beloved DF and that this game will be supported by programmers when issues arise. I for one have asked for a minor request on the Forum with no response. I have also sent an email in for the very same request, again with no response. This concerns me! I am willing to pay for this game as many probably will be. I also believe a free or a lite version should be available as an introduction to the game so we are able to continue to bring new players on board without discouraging anybody by them having to purchase a membership out of the gate.

ZUP, some assurance would be nice if having to pay becomes a reality. If you decide to let the game fold or if you would like to get out from underneath DF, then I would be interested in negotiating a purchase price to take over control of DF.

Respectfully,

Digger
TOGETHER WE PROWL, UNITED WE HOWL

The following user(s) said Thank You: Oedius Momicus

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225465

• MANIC
  • Thank you received: 133
Yes I agree to a $5 dollar monthly prescription..should be placed at start of login and maybe an optional button to nominate other players to play on our behalf who maybe cant afford to play..I would be willing to pay for some of our teammates..thank you zup.. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: nightorado

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225469

• Mr.Becken
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 829
I support ya zup all the way! ill even donate ! :)

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225471

• [*M]VonHuLK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • BOOM Game Over...
  • Thank you received: 21656
I say YES to a monthly subscription, it will weed out the trolls, and ultimately clean up the game. I would play for this game for sure. I have played for many hours and feel I may owe you some cash. lol

ALL IN 100%
The following user(s) said Thank You: --J--, *EOI* RAPTOR, [*M]Comet, [NLR] Big*Joe, nightorado

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225474

• [M]COUCHY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • paddle faster I hear banjos
  • Thank you received: 1290
I'm all for a monthly fee but is there also a way to put small ads in, maybe the first line of the chat or something , that could provide some revenue. Most other apps have it annoying sometimes but whatever it takes right?

Paddle faster I hear banjos...
The following user(s) said Thank You: *EOI* RAPTOR

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225476

• Dr CurtisShoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 802
Lovin the support here! I think we're golden Zupe!
How bout some cake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: *EOI* RAPTOR

Change on servers 9 years 5 months ago #225477

• BOAZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • sometimes my farts are lumpy
  • Thank you received: 1474
All for paying. I think $5 for lifetime is low maybe a yearly fee? Don't want you to sell yourself short. BUT I would like assurances that I will get my updates in a timely fashion.......I'm still fighting D8s

One beer two beer three beer floor

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds