Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rules, complaints and etiquette...*sigh* 9 years 9 months ago #202914

• [NLR] McFate
  • [NLR] McFate's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
The forum has gone a bit mad lately. :(

I think that for many it's more a case of exasperation. I mean really, what can anyone do in the face of "injustice" other than just keep your chin up and try to have a good time?

There is no MODerator SQUAD to police the game, even when there was they couldn't be in every game. Some squads formed around the ideas of maintaining a set of standards for the members but I think that has come full circle, to the point where good intentions turned into indignation and often false accusations. I believe it ends up just stoking fires of resent.

T.A.S.K was formed, previously and now reprised, to have a force of vigilanti justice. While their intentions are in the right place, it still can easily go afoul. There were many times when the original T.A.S.K. ended up "ruining" many good games (my opinion) while hunting players on their list. Sure those who were hunted had done something to presumably deserve it, but the cure was still a disease. As for the new T.A.S.K. even though they may not have carried out any actions yet, there has been a lot of dischord over the issue. (Sorry taskers, but I myself was inaccurately accused of unfair play and threatened by one of your members.)

I have taken it upon myself in the past to "punish" players who's play I didn't like. It didn't go so well. I had a couple of times when I ended up pinning someone to the carrier deck only to have some rookie reds spawn in and have no idea why I was trashing on someone. What kind of example was that? :pinch:

Zuperman has made many coding adjustments to prevent undesirable behavoir. Some of them have been big improvements. A few examples;
* Immunity against spawnkillers while the brakes are on.
* Foul language filter.
* No soldiers on the carriers (to prevent sniping/spawnkilling)
* Auto-kick for repeated teamkilling.
* No tank for chutes in enemy territory.
* Defenders can't shoot the zep.
* Tanks can't park on the spawn point.
All of these were issues for complaints at one time. Anyone who thinks Zup doesn't listen to complaints has not studied their dogfight history. :P A new thing that many people are not aware of is that there is a record of name changes (available to Zup and any Mod) so real jerks can be tracked for permanent bans.

Unfortunately, there are still some behaviors that can't be handled by coding. It took a while (and many updates) for Zup to implement the changes. He has been working on it constantly. The blacklist was created so people could report the worst offenders but it has always been a catch-all for myriad complaints including things which are not against any rules. If a rule can't be enforced by coding it takes a moderator's attention. Someone must spend their time reading the complaints, judging what actions to take, issuing warnings, reading responses, responding, consulting with the game maker and other moderators, receive constant criticism about the job they are doing..... :dry: :S And for their effort? They are expected to be fast, accurate (though they have incomplete information), level-headed, patient, efficient... Who really wants this unpaid job?

Rules? What rules?

Other than those "rules" fixed by coding, the only "official rules" for in-game play are: Don't use tanks to spawnkill and "no game ruining behavior". So what is game ruining behavior? Pretty subjective, no? Is there is any way to reach a consensus on this? So, logically unless Zuperman sets up a new enforcement mechanism there can be no universal rule about things like sneaking, camping, dropping or even spawnkilling.

(edit: A deluge of reports about spawnkilling can eventually earn a ban but it really has to be extreme and usually after several warnings)

Sneaking, Camping, Dropping or Spawnkilling?

Sorry. Not in the rules. They may piss you off, they may make you want to smash your phone or tablet but there are no rules against any of them. If you would rather play a game where these things will not happen you should probably go elsewhere.

Etiquette?

If you want to play by your own ethics or etiquette, great! You can also create or join a squad which upholds a set code of ethics. Just remember that etiquette are not the same as rules, they are more like manners. You cannot make other people follow your version of what is ethical in this war game. Thank goodness! (Hey! Get your elbows off the table or you're going to jail!)

Complaining? *Sigh*

Complaining too has a place. Zuperman has made changes to the game based on feed back by players who didn't like something about the game. Believe it or not, he still does. While he doesn't answer every thread, you do see the occasional reply. Mostly to account issues. He has posted a few invitations for input in threads like his own "What do you want to see for the next update?" (or something to that effect). Complaints against specific players?... Well, if you feel they are committing "game ruining behavior" then I suppose you should put it on the blacklist thread. I think that the fact that there is rarely a response has made people less inclined to do so and more inclined to create a new "flaming" thread. Please consider carefully before doing this; what good do you want to come from it? Are you recommending a rule change? Are you writing in a way to appeal to the offending player, or are you just trying to get them punished somehow? Please don't fill the forum with "he did this, he did that". I've tried it. Venting can be cathartic but too much is too much, and I think many will agree that it usually does more harm than good.

Personally, I'm taking a new approach (so far so good). I fly how I want and others fly the way they want. If they are doing something I think is "unfair"... oh well. I can always leave, find a way to counter it or stay and get my butt kicked. (Isn't that part of the game?) I may even go on a vindictive killing spree if I get mad over something but I'm going to try to keep it in the game and once it's over, win or lose, it's a new day.

So, now that I've lulled you into a state of boredom and apathy, get your nose out of this drivel and go shoot some reds!

:woohoo:

Dang, I cant believe you read that whole thing. ;-P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manfred, Jimboslice27, jacklpe, ¥M4rtin¥, BTJ582, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M] Pagan, Gannet

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Rules, complaints and ettiquete... *sigh* 9 years 9 months ago #202926

• BTJ582
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2533
Nice post Mc. I play how I want or actually capable of which may not be very good but I try and I have no problem with others playing how they wish within the rules. Of course rules apply to all. So is this thought in line with Kant? Perhaps. The forum has recently been a great example of good utilitarians and bad utlititarians at war with each other. I myself perfer Camus--the absudity of it all but at least I exist.

I am an ex-submarine sailor who has taken the battle to the sky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK

Rules, complaints and ettiquete... *sigh* 9 years 9 months ago #202935

• [*M]bzerkbzerk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 6993
Rules, Rules.

I only recall some basic rules from Zuperman that no longer appear under the rules tab. As for what squads tend to put into place has always been left to interpretation as most are vague or just outright generalizations of some form of structure. I always considered them more as a guide instead of iron fisted rules.

I personally have fallen short of myself within this game as to my interpretation and created enough crap to overfill any sewage plant. Have I learned from all of those mistakes? Constantly.

So I now just play the game as I did when I first found it and realized how much I loved it. I have also found that the chat is not a necessity in any game, in fact it's just a distraction.

Action vs. reaction, interesting concept as the reaction is not always the answer yet necessary if used in good judgment.

Again a concept that can be misinterpreted depending on the reader and the personality of the player. Personality, well that seems to be a core issue in my opinion. How does one interpret the data at hand and what solution is used to solve the issue.

Anyway just my rambling, some thought to process and interesting topics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BTJ582, [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK

Rules, complaints and ettiquete... *sigh* 9 years 9 months ago #202957

• Manfred
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Just Manfred
  • Thank you received: 3866
There are only two Rules.

1) Don't shoot at me.
2) If you have to break Rule #1... aim a little left.

Please pass that along. Very few players seem to know the Rules!
B) Manfred
The following user(s) said Thank You: jacklpe, [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK

Rules, complaints and ettiquete... *sigh* 9 years 9 months ago #202963

• jacklpe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If you got it, a trucker brought it!
  • Thank you received: 3027
Very good McFate.

Contact The Jolly Roger at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds