Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170620

• [NLR] McFate
  • [NLR] McFate's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
=Survival Mode!!!=

The history of video games is full of "hopeless causes"

Space invaders
pacman
Asteroids

Many x - box games have a "survival mode" where the point is to hold out as long as you can, knowing that you are going to eventually be overrun. Why not here?

The servers dish up uneven games all the time. Even a balanced game can turn lopsided any moment. Why complain or quit? Some of my favorite games have been while heavily outnumbered. It gets my adrenaline flowing and amazing things can happen!

Give it a try. There is no shame in losing. Why do games have to go on as a protracted stalemate to be a "good one"? I don't know how many times I've seen people switch sides just to see things go lopsided the other way. I don't hold anything against the other team for the luck of the draw.

If you want to switch to make a more balanced game feel free but don't do it for my sake. Don't get me wrong, I like the help I just don't have a problem with letting a game end.

B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]*XxXxX*, [NLR]Jacob10000, GreyGhost, Cricket, [*M]VonHuLK, Frank Baracca, Uplandbird, 2Storm2, Donm775, [*M]Reckless and 4 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170634

• [*M]ONSTER CANNON
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9167
I agree and find I often switch to the side having only one pilot. I find my best shooting occurs when I "have" to keep from my side losing. I don't have the option to depend on others taking care of business...plus, it gets me LOTS of kills.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]Reckless, Killer!

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170635

• [*M] MISFIT CROCKETT
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 13215
I would much rather have only myself and one other against several reds, makes it fun.

Something's I try to change to be the underdog but it don't let me in the same game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]Reckless, Killer!

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170639

• ZebraUp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Flying & Fighting with STYLE!
  • Thank you received: 4244

Davy Crockett wrote: I would much rather have only myself and one other against several reds, makes it fun.

Something's I try to change to be the underdog but it don't let me in the same game.

I agree with you Davy.. myself & 1 other blue is great.. yeah the odds are that you're gonna lose.. but who cares? It's FUN! :)

As for switching.. I have finally just about given up on that.. I very seldom can get back into the same mission... I have tried numerous times to get back into a mission that had my squadron members in red.. only not to be able to get back in at all.. and also, I won't switch once I have been flying for one team for a little bit.. I just stick to the cards I was dealt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]Reckless, Killer!, Ziza

Last edit: by ZebraUp.

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170643

• TXLAWMAN
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Life is tough. It's tougher when you are stupid.
  • Thank you received: 3499

I just want my trophy for showing up! This game doen't give a crap that I tried my best! :woohoo:

RIP CRAZYWOLF
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]Reckless

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170647

• Two Ton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 126
For me it just all depends on what mood I'm in. If I feel like trying to switch i'll do so, and sometimes I just want to shoot other planes.

I think the reason most do not like to stay in a loosing battle is that this game has been made more than just dogfighting(good, bad, or indifferent). With the whole ranking thing, most people do not want to "waste" time on missions that are more than likely going to loose when they can easily get into another game and still get to shoot at people, but have a better chance of winning the mission. And you couple that with the fact that they are playing other "humans", it compounds it all the more.

Its kind of amazing to see how humans can hurt others more than computers when doing the same thing. We humans just instinctively feel it and are sucked up in the erroneous notion that we are being berated by others because they are human; we naturally feel "less than" the other person when they beat us at something which is a feeling we do not often associate with when we play against a non-animate object.

The times you do not see this happen is only when the people with high thoughts about themselves(good, bad, or indifferent)feel like they can overcome the others in the game. After all, that is the whole point of a game. Its to win. If you felt like you for sure could not win, then you would not play - at all.

Now, there are those of us who are realists and understand that the chance of winning is about 1%, but we enjoy the fight and that's why we play. Not for wins as far as mission goes, but for wins as far as how many planes we can shoot down. Others could care less about the kills, and look at the mission as a whole and only care about that win.

So it really is all just a personal matter of how one views this game...
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]Reckless, Killer!, [TFL] Robert33

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170650

• [*M]Reckless
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The pilot formerly known as Porkfinger
  • Thank you received: 2690
I LOVE 5 vs 3 and 6 vs 2 when you get paired up with players you just "click" with - you know you're probably going to lose if nobody leaves but when you're hammering the hell out of the opposition and they haven't even laid eyes on your base yet who cares? You get points for just finishing the game do you not?
The best games I ever had - in which I beat my personal kill records - were games with no hope of winning. Games that come to mind for me were with names like Whiplash, Airpix, Howie, Goldmember - the games that reach triple-digits just because you hung in there and didn't give up. Wife getting pissed, cat was supposed to be fed an hour ago and meowing its little black head off, kids running around trying to kill each other - and they may as well be on another planet. Those are the ones you lose in the end but you take it to the reds so hard for so long they think you're a DF GOD. Those games are the best ones when they happen - you can't do that 4 on 4.

SANITY IS HIGHLY OVERRATED....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whiplash, [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, ZebraUp

Last edit: by [*M]Reckless.

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170663

• [*M]VonHuLK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • BOOM Game Over...
  • Thank you received: 21656
It's the only time you will have players on the other team say " how does he do that " or " his kills are higher than all of ours together". When you come into a game outnumbered, you have nothing to lose, you are expected to lose. So get up in the air and prove them wrong. I don't care if they sneak, drop, barrel roll, hell they can fly upside down if they want. It's gonna be a good one.

ALL IN 100%
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manfred, [NLR] McFate, Mongo, [*M]Reckless, ZebraUp, Killer!

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170669

• Dr CurtisShoe
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 802
Couldnt agree more. Outnumbered there is nothing to lose so just leave it all out there!

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170673

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674
Yep I don't mind being outnumbered. Like was said some of the beat games have been when I'm.alone or on a two or three man team. It does get ones blood flowing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]Reckless, Killer!, Dr CurtisShoe

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170674

• [*M]VonHuLK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • BOOM Game Over...
  • Thank you received: 21656
It will either make you a better player, or make you quit. I never,NEVER leave a game when I'm outnumbered. I will leave if my team is stacked. I won't play a game if I'm on the bigger team. The other blues shoot my targets, that's no fun. Where is the challenge? I don't win every game, but I have FUN every game. That's why I'm here. In real life I have to be serious, at work I have to behave. At home I can't behave like a child, I have kids, who look to me for guidance. But once I crank up the IPad, LOOKOUT, I'm here to have a GOOD TIME. No Drama, No issues, No one telling me to act my age. On this game I'm 13 years old again. Not a care in the world. If you look closely, when I fly by you, I either stick out my tongue, or shoot you a moon. lol

ALL IN 100%
The following user(s) said Thank You: woospy, [NLR] McFate, [*M]Reckless, ZebraUp, Killer!, [TFL] Robert33, Two Ton, Dr CurtisShoe

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170818

• Duke {INV}
  • Ruler of the Skies
  • Thank you received: 55
Being outnumbered is great because not only does it give you more targets to shoot at :D it also makes you become a better player as you have think about defence while attacking.... It's great!

One thing that might not work with the actual survival mission/mode is that you'd have to wait for that game to be full before starting it or else you could end up with it being 1 v's 1 before anyone else joins and that is hardly unfair (depending who you're up against).

Still it always fun to have a challenge and it's less likely for the reds to leave because they think they're close to winning haha :)

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170828

• Killer!
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 197
Well said McFate! :cheer: Most of times I switch to help the severely outnumbered side. But sometimes when I switch, the other side's players leave the game :angry: But I do enjoy playing on the outnumbered side whether I "win or loose". KILL! KILL! thats what I think :evil: All I believe is make it as hard as I can for the reds to win, that they think "Oh God I thought it'd be easy :(" lol :lol: These are some games I played recently both outnumbered but Good Games. I lost in one and won in other-

I lost No worries, because I tried my best and fought till the end. :)

When I joined C.H.U.D. and one blue was against 6 players and two of them sneaking. We had 3 hangers, the other blue left and sneakers got 2 hangers and then I dropped for some time and took care of sneakers and they left :lol: and then I carried the bomb till the end and we bombed all there hangers thereafter. *HAPPY ENDING*

Note:- [*M] C.H.U.D. If u see this tell me what is your other that u always use. You didn't tell me the whole time in the game
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]Reckless, ZebraUp

Last edit: by Killer!.

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170858

• Longrifle
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 876
I love playing outnumbered, hammering the waves of reds, seeing them slowly switch tactics from mob rush to sneak/go around once the kills start to rack up, and then seeing them start raging and quit. If there are accusations of cheating or rampant whining about fairness, much the better. Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of the women.

The only thing I find slightly annoying is when down 6 to 1 or 6 to 2 with a goofball partner that likes to drive up the mountain in a tank, and the reds are sneaking and camping and spinning and going wide, that they clap each other on the back for every hangar they hit like they just broke through at Verdun. You got one hangar in five waves with 30 collective losses to my 5, and you think you are doing good?

The most respect I have is for pilots like Ark and Max that can hold alone against five or six decent pilots and run up the count, littering the field with burning wrecks.
This Gun's For Hire

The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK, [*M]Reckless, ZebraUp, Killer!, Duke {INV}, Ziza

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170861

• [*M]ONSTER CANNON
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9167

Longrifle wrote: I love playing outnumbered, hammering the waves of reds, seeing them slowly switch tactics from mob rush to sneak/go around once the kills start to rack up, and then seeing them start raging and quit. If there are accusations of cheating or rampant whining about fairness, much the better. Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of the women.

The only thing I find slightly annoying is when down 6 to 1 or 6 to 2 with a goofball partner that likes to drive up the mountain in a tank, and the reds are sneaking and camping and spinning and going wide, that they clap each other on the back for every hangar they hit like they just broke through at Verdun. You got one hangar in five waves with 30 collective losses to my 5, and you think you are doing good?

The most respect I have is for pilots like Ark and Max that can hold alone against five or six decent pilots and run up the count, littering the field with burning wrecks.

Littering the field with burning wrecks...still working on that :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170870

• Ziza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 419
but of course only that sometimes when you are the most numerous team some pilots want to ask for mercy and that we are always available for them to shooting us.

but when I'm on the team outnumbered, it's amazing the number of red triangles that make you feel the blood in your head and shake ipad nerves in your hands
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, ZebraUp

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170886

• suxxor
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 260
d5v3 is fun if the other two on your side are good.

Case in point, yesterday come into a btc game, our carrier is at 50%, enemy at 100%, Zeb and another vs 4. They seem to be holding the fort so I go wide. Another red appears so now its 5v3...game on. I bomb and as the red respawn due to great Defence, I'm accused of camping by a good pilot who will remain nameless. I just laugh as the cry baby accuses me of not being a real pilot. Anyway, we hammered away, until it was 10% vs 30%, almost won until Junkie tanked underwater and was unkillable and popped off three hits.... we lost but the moral victory was ours for sure.

The best wins are always when you are outgunned and still manage to come out on top
<< WIGBOMB >>
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp

Last edit: by suxxor. Reason: sp

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 10 years 1 month ago #170888

• ZebraUp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Flying & Fighting with STYLE!
  • Thank you received: 4244

suxxor wrote: d5v3 is fun if the other two on your side are good.

Case in point, yesterday come into a btc game, our carrier is at 50%, enemy at 100%, Zeb and another vs 4. They seem to be holding the fort so I go wide. Another red appears so now its 5v3...game on. I bomb and as the red respawn due to great Defence, I'm accused of camping by a good pilot who will remain nameless. I just laugh as the cry baby accuses me of not being a real pilot. Anyway, we hammered away, until it was 10% vs 30%, almost won until Junkie tanked underwater and was unkillable and popped off three hits.... we lost but the moral victory was ours for sure.

The best wins are always when you are outgunned and still manage to come out on top

Yeah Suxxor that was a good game.. the other pilot on our team was Mudpuppy.. many players came & went as the game progressed including several top morafs but it was a hard fought battle to the end. You can't fight that underwater tank glitch though! Can't bomb it or shoot it and yet its shells just fly thru the water like it ain't there lol!

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 9 years 9 months ago #202856

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thought I'd dust this one off again.

It may sound crazy but I really do enjoy a good butt kicking. Back in the days when coin-op video games ruled most games were in survival mode. Funny how I'd keep throwing in quarters with grim determination that I'd make it just a bit further next time! :S

I've spent far less on dogfight than my life's career on Gallaga! :blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killer!

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 9 years 9 months ago #202937

• [£] Pie of Jerry
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Delicious & DEADLY....... La vie est belle!
  • Thank you received: 591

I just hate it though when I'm outnumbered (usually 1/2 of my games) 6-1 or worse on the non German side flying a half upgraded barn to battle :blink: :unsure:
IN YOUR OVEN OR ON YOUR SIX!

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 9 years 6 months ago #220978

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

McFate wrote: Thought I'd dust this one off again.

Thanks to all for the great contributions to this thread!

And as long as you are in an almost inevitably losing situation, why would it be a problem for reds to sneak? It actually breaks up the "wall" of attackers. :)

So the game may end more quickly, maybe not? Why get mad? It's funny that some players will be furious and start calling names and bashing people on World Chat or on the forum. Why not just enter the next game where the tides will most likely change? Is it better to poison the community with blame and hate than it is to take one on the chin and move on to the next game?

Bring it! I challenge everyone simultaneously! :woohoo:

Medic! :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr., ZebraUp, Ziza, Dr CurtisShoe, [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 9 years 6 months ago #221120

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Two Ton wrote: ...
Its kind of amazing to see how humans can hurt others more than computers when doing the same thing. We humans just instinctively feel it and are sucked up in the erroneous notion that we are being berated by others because they are human; we naturally feel "less than" the other person when they beat us at something which is a feeling we do not often associate with when we play against a non-animate object.

I think there is something to this idea. When playing against a computer it's easy to take it in stride. When playing against another person it's... well, personal. :huh: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 9 years 6 months ago #221305

• *420*
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Genocide====>YOU
  • Thank you received: 543
:cheer: tru dat :evil:

If thats the way to exterminate, it'll take too freaken looonng

Outnumbered? =Survival Mode=!!! 9 years 6 months ago #221423

• MICHAEL KANE..
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1336
Love being outnumbered..or when u get with another pilot and you have a connection in the game...once had my best game with Ishan sang..6 vrs 2 great fun planes all over the floor..
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds