Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #87853

• Mr. Serious
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • gen~~~~~~~~jack
  • Thank you received: 1352
The MoMs were getting too good , so I had to resort to the next best thing....Have to keep it balanced somehow...lol

Gen~~~~~~~~jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr Dave.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #87857

• SkyDavis
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 111th Falcon squad
  • Thank you received: 836
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr., Dr Dave.

Last edit: by SkyDavis.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #87858

• SkyDavis
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 111th Falcon squad
Story of M.O.M getting nuked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #87924

• Dr Dave.
  • Dr Dave.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE
  • Thank you received: 2818
Now that's funny.... :)
I could care....But I dont

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #87926

• Blenderguy
  • Thank you received: 16
This queston was asked to me yesterday on a BTB mission. I have started to drop on my first run of all bomb missions for tactical reasons... I use the increased speed to engage the reds closer to their own base, draw them away and allow my team a chance to get by with bombs. Meeting resistance as far away from my own base lessens the chance of a red getting by with little time to chase them down and complete their goal. Most times I end up as a sacrifice, but I always carry a bomb on the remaining runs. It is a team play in my mind. The trick is it only works well if one person drops and not several. Then it is like showing up to a gun fight with a knife. And just to add, I could care less about my ranking and number of kills.... My goal is for my team to win. Just sayin.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr.

Last edit: by Blenderguy.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #87937

• Mr. Serious
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • gen~~~~~~~~jack

Blenderguy wrote: This queston was asked to me yesterday on a BTB mission. I have started to drop on my first run of all bomb missions for tactical reasons... I use the increased speed to engage the reds closer to their own base, draw them away and allow my team a chance to get by with bombs. Meeting resistance as far away from my own base lessens the chance of a red getting by with little time to chase them down and complete their goal. Most times I end up as a sacrifice, but I always carry a bomb on the remaining runs. It is a team play in my mind. The trick is it only works well if one person drops and not several. Then it is like showing up to a gun fight with a knife. And just to add, I could care less about my ranking and number of kills.... My goal is for my team to win. Just sayin.

Cheers

Sounds good to me :) :)

Gen~~~~~~~~jack

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #87960

• Dr Dave.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE
The problem with that is when you drop the guy behind you most likely will do same, And any player that's been in game for awhile can tell who's packing and who's not just by watching them cross the field under fire. Then they drop, then others see their bombs hit the ground and know what's coming so They drop.... Surely you can see where this is going... After all your not stupid. And I don't think your chicken but I do think you need to give it more thought and watch more carefully in game what happens with the newer players when you drop. Their still learning the game, lets teach them the right way to play ok.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #87977

• Blenderguy
  • Thank you received: 16
Appreciated Doc. I too am still new ( 3 weeks or so) and am still learning and evolving my tactics. I have come to have a great respect for yours and other veterans skills and am forever uncovering the subtle do's and don'ts of the game. However I do not agree with you on this. I cannot control what he guy behind or in front of me does or know what his or her tactic is going to be ( be they a newbie or veteran) I only know what works for me in the here and now with my skill level. And this tactic seems to work more than not in the overall. (Granted I have only been trying it for a few days). My goal is to support my team and win the game and have fun. If I can best do that at this time by pushing the line of resistance out as far as possible and and try to remove as many chess pieces out of the way of my team for them to drop bombs, then that is the right play. Perhaps in time my skill will develop enough to have me rethink this tactic.

On another note, when I started playing this game I had no idea the fanaticism that some people have for it. It borders on lunacy! Now I fear that I too am hooked. Thanks for the great games.

BG
The following user(s) said Thank You: SkyDavis, Paul Mantz, Jr.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #88092

• Dr Dave.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE
That's fine all I'm saying is when a new player see's some one drop do almost always do same then you get to the reds base and, what do ya know? No one brought a bomb! Then what happens? Spawn killing that's what, I mean there's nothing else to do other than GO BACK AND GET A BOMB.... Paul you agreed with his last post by your Thank You. have you not seen this very thing happen? I have Many times. All I'm saying is if your gonna drop don't do it at the end of your own runway, try to do it at the end of theirs.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #88097

• Mr. Serious
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • gen~~~~~~~~jack
I drop it right in front of the enemy.......that way there is no questioning lolol.... ;)

Gen~~~~~~~~jack

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #88145

• SkyDavis
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 111th Falcon squad

Blenderguy wrote: This queston was asked to me yesterday on a BTB mission. I have started to drop on my first run of all bomb missions for tactical reasons... I use the increased speed to engage the reds closer to their own base, draw them away and allow my team a chance to get by with bombs. Meeting resistance as far away from my own base lessens the chance of a red getting by with little time to chase them down and complete their goal. Most times I end up as a sacrifice, but I always carry a bomb on the remaining runs. It is a team play in my mind. The trick is it only works well if one person drops and not several. Then it is like showing up to a gun fight with a knife. And just to add, I could care less about my ranking and number of kills.... My goal is for my team to win. Just saying. Cheers

Good way to think out of the box my friend. I have done this every now and then. Some times it works because team mates understand what I am doing some times it dose not work because they drop there bombs and make them selves look like fools getting my protection to show up at enemy base and just spawn the reds or try to and get them selves killed. Keep doing what your doing if it dose not work at times and your team all drops and gets there and spawn kills just leave to head back for a bomb. They will eventually get them selves killed and if they don't the reds will be tied up and you can fly in with and bomb with minimal opposition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: |111th| MissHell

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #88285

• Dr Dave.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE
That's all fine and good but please note. If I have to drop at my base to fend off spawners I won't be packing when I reach your base....

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #88420

• Wing commander
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree, if you need to go fast or you are protecting a noob for whatever reason then drop and go
Otherwise bombs are there for a reason. B)
[e]Wing commander

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #88703

• ParrotHead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Growing older, but not up!
  • Thank you received: 3728
Just left a game where 3 outta 4 reds were dumping... Lowenhardt, Chali and Santox. Absolutely no fun. Had to drop to try to compete. If you just want to dogfight, quit the bombing games and go dogfight. Oh wait, but then your enemies are on even terms. Never mind, that wouldn't work.

Fly any way you like... It's a game... But from now on, I'm not "helping" any dumpers on my teams win. If you're leaving the bomb at the end if your runway, there's no way YOU win the game without somebody else actually playing the mission. Maybe you dont care about winning, its just YOUR personal kills thats a win to you. So, If y'all see me drop out that may be why.
Fuck this place. Second rate hack playing in a yard that's too big for him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr., Dr Dave., Gizmo.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 3 weeks ago #88736

• Dr Dave.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE
Parrot you know where I stand on it, but as I said ill o longer be a target for dumpers to build on. And when I reach their base they won't be happy campers ether
The following user(s) said Thank You: ParrotHead

Did you forget something??? 11 years 1 week ago #92873

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
Aw, come on guys. :dry:

It all just adds to the complexity of the game strategy. B)

If the other team drops they won't do very well at getting your hangars. If they are camping over your base, drop and take them out. Then go back and pick up a new bomb. If they chronically drop you can go high and wide and take out their hangars while they are spinning circles.

It can be quite effective for 3 out of 4 to drop and cover while the other bombs, no? A really skilled bomber could do it in 4 trips. Also, tanks are not insignificant in btb. In BTC they are instrumental.

Due to technical difficulties I just started over at level 1 (after reaching 13) and if you haven't done it in a while, try fighting your way through a bombing run while carrying with a 3 star plane. The ground seems much closer and you can tell that the Albatros D.V is going to own you carying or not! :whistle: Now that I'm back up to level 10 and can fly the 4 star planes I feel that I can compete well while carrying. If a seasoned flyer drops when they see me I take it as a real compliment. (Oh look, they got so scarred they dropped!) If I'm a lone blue and suddenly I see three red aces comming and I cant get atleast one of them down on the first pass it would be pretty foolish for me to keep carying and try to dogfight them. Maybe when I get to level 20 that will change.

I fully encourage noobs to drop (if they want to) if they come up against an ace. What good is to have a team mate get shot down over and over because first; don't have the experience/skill to match and second because they have inferior equipment.

This issue reminds me of how gurilla fighters were looked down upon by those who wanted to face-off in great lines. Ready, aim...carnage! A better equipped army with more troops will take it every time. If an underdog wants to survive they will use their brains and adapt any startegy that will keep them alive.

If you insist that everyone carry, no matter what, it becomes a face off of skill and very little strategy. Frankly, part of the reason I like this game so much is that it combines the two so well.

I'm not here for points. I'm in it for fun! Sorry if my etiquitte is not up to par.
B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]VonHuLK

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Did you forget something??? 11 years 1 week ago #92901

• [M*]JÄCK BÜRTÖN1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • i just want my truck back
  • Thank you received: 1018
I always carry a bomb always!!!! I only drop if I'm getting spawn raped at my base or carrier.to clear out the reds then I land get a new bomb, then take off to try and complete the mission.
someones stolen my truck!!! they left a note.fight and we will give you your truck back.so here i am ready to fight!!!one problem they never said how long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Mantz, Jr., |111th| MissHell, Dr Dave., [*M]VonHuLK

Did you forget something??? 11 years 1 day ago #95076

• Gnasher
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • It's today that counts
  • Thank you received: 563
I asked myself this one in a recent btb game. I flew countless sortes at the reds base but never got thru the spawning defence (a line up of MOM aces). I decided that as I COULD NOT get into base airspace, EVER, I might as well drop bomb early and race about swatting flies for the rest of the team. So I did, at the time it seemed against orders. The impact of this pushed the enemy back to base to defend against our incoming bombers. Just where they are not wanted. The mission, our orders gentlemen, are to 'Destroy Enemy's Airport'. Bombs, tanks, bullets and tactics are our tools, its upto the team to use them wisely (sorry about the cheese ). I tried bombless attacking, but still had my horoscope read to me. Eventually I got to the enemy hanger, lined up, heart racing, yes yes, NO BOMB. I went back to carrying and eventually I dropped the concluding bomb on target. I proved myself wrong, I COULD break into enemy airspace. Practice and perserverence seemed to pay off. I think clear tactics could make bombless runs more effective. If we all ditched bombs early, took to the fast lane, it would take forever to destroy the airport with machine gun.

Did you forget something??? 10 years 11 months ago #102795

• ParrotHead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Growing older, but not up!
  • Thank you received: 3728
Well it finally happened... I called out for dumping. It's true... I dumped my bomb in a BTC game. Guilty as charged... Shame on me.... Nobody should ever dump their bomb in a BTC ot BTB... I should be ashamed...

Did I mention it was me and one other blue against 6? Did I mention I "dumped" my bomb on a tank at my carrier and then fought my way thru the other 5 reds with the help of my lone blue partner? Yep, I'm a dumper and will be in that scenario every time.

There's dumping and and there's dumping. I'm as guilty as the next guy for calling folks out. I even asked Hansone if he was carrying tonight because... Well because he outflew me. I was wrong. He had his ordinance with him. BUT I don't think I'd ever call out a guy fighting 3:1.

I laughed about it at first and then worked up a slow boil even after the game and a couple more were long over.

Ok rant over. Thanks for listening.
Fuck this place. Second rate hack playing in a yard that's too big for him.

Did you forget something??? 10 years 11 months ago #102828

• Dr Dave.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE
That's funny Parrot, I had to do same thing last night but it was 6 to 1 with Max flying under his girly name and others I downed one right next to my boat couldn't gun him so I dumped on him. Still lost game but I tired...

Did you forget something??? 10 years 11 months ago #102843

• [DD]Big C
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Molon Labe
  • Thank you received: 590
When I am outnumbered (atleast 2:1) or have my back against the wall i drop my bomb to make sure we don't lose.
"Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter" -Mark Twain

Did you forget something??? 10 years 6 months ago #138942

• Dr Dave.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE
Swop and Delhi sorry if I zoned out today but when Hawk started dropping I went after him in like forum. The game was a good match 2&2 all Marshals would have been a good game if not for the dropping..... Form Hawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: |111th|tSwopCaml

Did you forget something??? 10 years 6 months ago #140223

• falconsfan1
  • Thank you received: 21
If my base is overrun I am DEFINETLY dropping the bomb..... preferably on an unsuspecting enemy pilot. and then going to work

Did you forget something??? 10 years 4 weeks ago #173984

• Dr Dave.
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • EXTERMINATE

Dr Dave wrote: I was noticing there's a large number of players that tend to forget something in bombing games.... :unsure: I'm sure they don't think so poorly of their skills that they need that kinda edge?

Just thought I'd ask. Are you chicken???

Falcons no pun intended

This has been going on from the beginning of game that's why I call it

Beating a dead horse.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M]VonHuLK

Did you forget something??? 10 years 4 weeks ago #173988

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Dr Dave,

A tough old nag is better eating if you tenderize it first. :sick: :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr Dave., [*M]VonHuLK, [M]COUCHY

Did you forget something??? 10 years 4 weeks ago #174008

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
For what it's worth;

*[M] McFate wrote: Official Notice:

Further explanation of :

121st Misfit's Squadron rule # 12

12: Always carry a bomb in bombing missions!
(Only drop under extreme circumstances)

This is a “squad” rule, adopted by the 121st Misfits in an effort to promote game play which is fair and focused on the mission for games which require bombing (hangars or carriers) in order to win.

(There are no official Dogfight rules requiring anyone to ever carry a bomb and the 121st Misfits Squad does not have any special authority with the game maker.)

This rule is not necessary for more than 90% of DogFight players. The issue is that pilots who drop their bomb gain speed and maneuverability, thereby gaining a significant fighting advantage over those still carrying bombs which, after all, are necessary in order to win the game. Some pilots seem to have little regard for trying to “win” the mission and instead seem happy to “pad their stats” by relentlessly preying on the slower moving red bombers. Some players do this so effectively that it can seem “abusive”, especially when done to lower rank/newer players. The 121st does not support this behavior and anyone seeking the highest possible kill-to-death ratio (KDR, K/D) over a win for the team and a good game for all, should seek camaraderie elsewhere.

The case can be made for sound tactics with which a team consisting of bombers and dropper/chasers/escorts can be very effective at destroying the target. I sincerely believe that when “squad wars” comes many of these issues will be reevaluated. When teams can be arranged and sides can be chosen the game will take on a very different dynamic. Unfortunately, the way the game currently works with all of it’s random team selection, the constantly unbalanced games and the inability to choose your match, makes it so this rule helps promote game play that is more enjoyable in general.

If you see other players, red or blue, needlessly dropping feel free to remind them that bombs are necessary to win but don’t make a scene out of complaining. Don’t whine! It is bad form and reflects poorly on the squad. . Remember that everyone has the option to play the game as they see fit and some don’t agree with rule # 12. If you don’t like the way someone is flying show them why it is a bad idea. Sure some will have some advanced skills but most of the “stat padding” players will soon leave to seek easier prey. If they don’t, feel free to leave the game. I suggest avoiding this as much as possible because it rewards the jerks, but then, why should you have to put up with it? If the dropper is blue you can leave (let them know why?) or choose to stay and bomb.

So, when are circumstances “extreme” enough to justify dropping bombs on anything other than a hangar or carrier? Judge for yourself how your actions will further the game objective. I’m sure there will be many replies in support of, and in opposition to these positions but here is a list of situations which qualify:

1. Taking out a tank. This is the only reason that doesn’t “waste” the bomb. It’s probably best to try to shoot a tank and save your bomb incase you miss. (There are some pilots who can take you air-to-air with a bomb but it’s definitely the rare exception.)

2. To take out Sneakers. Having a red suddenly appear directly overhead or behind you from the East or West is definitely an “extreme circumstance" and often an imminent threat. You need to do everything you can to take these guys out ASAP.

3. To evict a camper. If red has set up “camp” by flying bombless over your base you need every advantage you can get to take them out now! When you spawn, set your brake and rev up your throttle. You can touch and drag the screen to see where they are if you think they are preparing to spawn kill you. If you time it right you can usually find time to release the brakes, pop into the air and drop before they can get you. A turning fight is always better than being a sitting duck. Try to lead them away from the base so spawning blues can have a better chance to get airborne. Also; if a red has just bombed a hangar (whether they are trying to leave or planning to camp) You may assume they are going to try to shoot you down. You are perfectly justified in dropping until they have been shot down or chased off.

4. Confronting a red dropper/chaser. There are going to be reds that drop. There is no good reason for you to be their punching bag. If they insist on playing the game that way, change your tactics. If you face an impassable red chaser you may want to take the opportunity to do some sneaks. It can be tough to coordinate with your team but it can win the game. (Team chat please, zup)

5. Confronting a wave of reds when they are on final approach. Sometimes they all come over the last hill at the same time. At that point defence is top priority.

Once you’ve dropped and taken care of the reds, (or they finally ran out of ammo) you have some options. People will have differing view points about this. Some say you should immediately land and reload. I think there are more things to consider. If you are at the blue base, no reds in sight and your teammates are already far afield, sure, by all means land and reload. If reds are in sight, forget it. By the time you’re ready to get back in the air the reds could be shooting you before you are airborne. If you are in red territory and there are other blues who have bombs you can chase or “escort”. Do everything you can to protect or draw fire away from the blue bombers. You can be a very effective protector/distraction without camping directly over the enemy base. Chances are someone will complain. Just don’t hang over the red base camping or spawnkilling while there are no inbound bombers.

(and then of course):

6. When heavily outnumbered, when you’re down to 2 vs 5 or worse. Take it straight or feel free to drop and hang in there as best you can until help arrives. Some 2 vs 6 games can be incredible! It can really get your adrenaline pumping!

This is really just all a matter of etiquette. It’s a case of doing unto others as you would have done onto yourself. The 121st Misfits encourage their members to extend this courtesy to the DogFight community. (Other Squads are welcome to adopt this in whole or in part.)

*[M] McFate
Media Officer
121st Misfit’s Squadron

Time to create page: 0.670 seconds