Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story.

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224020

• [NLR] McFate
  • [NLR] McFate's Avatar Topic Author
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5380
Shot Down!!!

A collectively written choose-your-own-adventure Dogfight story

Credits, Instructions and rules for story submissions HERE

“Thwick-Thwack! Thwack!...Thwack!

Your SE5a has just taken four hits. The sound is a lot like rocks hitting the windshield of a car. You bail out as your plane goes down in flames. You desperately bring your rifle to bear as the MORAF in the on-rushing Siemens-Schuckert IV opts to shoot for you directly rather than aiming for your chute or your poor doomed plane. But your investment of time has honed skills and chat announces that you have won the ridiculous quick-draw competition twice! YES!! First his plane then his soldier in the chute! You’re amazed how hard your heart is thumping! A moment later your parachuting pilot is touching down in the fields of Gretchland.

Congratulations!
You have leveled up to
Brigadier General III

"Congrats"
"Gratz"
"GJ"
"Congratulations!"

"Thanks!!! Woohoo!!!"

You have just reached rank #19

It’s been a good long fight and your fires are stoked! You have finally earned your swords! The yellow rank insignia is no longer 3 stars dangling above your plane like the celestial sword below Orion’s Belt, they have been replaced by the two elegant crossed cutlasses! It's a distinction with which you have come to mark other players who must not be taken for granted. Now you are one of them. Red noobs will now spot you with dread, and there will be more blues who are glad to have you spawn on their side. Ah yes, the swords are nice, hmm… although, they would look even better surrounded by stars…

You close the in-game stats board and find that the timer has finished counting down. You've missed your chance to lob some hopeful tank shells at the red's airport, now the rabid red defenders are strafing your corpse, some have even come back around to bomb. Feeling just a touch distracted, you hit Retry and start on another run. You take off and quickly climb to 200m. The other blues are still in sight as you level off and pick up a little speed.

The red whose SS IV you took out with your rifle says:
“ns”
“interested in a squad?” It’s ‘Eddy P.Rex’, a top 100 player and the MORAF of the ‘MAMAsBoYz’. They are one of the largest squads; a real powerhouse. It’s sometimes hard to find a game without one of them presiding at the top of the leader board.

Before you can answer you get offers of membership from other squads too.

“Drop by our forum thread and say you’re ready. Tell them I sent you.” says ‘Baron VonDouche’ of 'Special Ops'; a focused killing squad with their own website separate from the forum. They usually fly together, they seldom speak and rarely show any mercy.

“They wish! Yur signing up with us right?” Says ‘Banjo Plucker’ of the ‘Kill’n’Fokkers’ They are known for their bad-ass attitudes as much as their deadly skills. They have a palpable driven team spirit and are the most likely players to have real squad tattoos and tee-shirts.

“Hey bro, you’re pretty good, gratz on the swords”
“We’ll let ya in if you wanna cruise with us” says ‘Mr. Blunt’ of the ‘Delta 9 High Flyers’ They are the mellow guys who can display some impressive skills but other times they're seen just sitting on the mountain tops or driving tanks off in far corners of the map.

You'd been holding out, waiting for invitations form all of these squads. Now the choice is before you.

What will you decide? Do you:
(Click on the blue links below)

Go back to the crib with the "MAMAsBoYz"

By Mac
MAMAzBoYz

Run with the "Kill’n’Fokkers"
By Big Joe
The Kill'n'Fokkers

Go for a sci-fi odyssey with "Special Ops"
By McFate
Special Ops

Chill with "The Delta 9 High Flyers"
By McFate
featuring :
Fly. Crash. Die. Repeat
By Luna (used here as the "vision quest")
The Delta 9 High Flyers

Or...

Perhaps its time for ThE rEtReAt!
By Eagle22
ThE rEtReAt

Pull yourself away from the game because you're late for your meeting at:
Dogfight Addicts Anonymous.

Featuring testimony from:
Davy Crockett
[NLR] The Blue Fighter/Vivek
G.I. Gunnerzz
Dogfight Addicts Anonymous

...Turn them all down and make your own Squad
Create a story or write about your own squad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TOPH, [*M]Destroyer24, [NLR] Finn, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, [M]ad, fireball, [NLR]DIS*RUPT

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224021

• [NLR] McFate
The MAMAzBoyz.
By Mac.

MAMAzBoYz. The big guns. You've been in near-awe of them from day one. And now, Eddie P. Rex has just invited you. But it.s not just MAMAzBoYz. You look at all the big names that just invited you. Do the swords really have that much power?you wonder.
You look at your kdr and the player menu, thanking God that you had the fortune to have your best game in a lobby with all these guys.
You do your best to hide your exhilaration. "lol um lemme think about it" you type. It's a screen, they have no idea how awesome this is.
VonDouche pretends to be upset. "what's to think about?" He replies. Then, realizing that you might legitimately think he's upset, he quickly adds "lol jk".
The game rolls on, and the kills pile up. So do the deaths. Parachutes have a one-in-ten chance of ever hitting the ground, and the valley of death has become a veritable elephant graveyard of carnage. It finally ends with Eddie P. Rex splitting through the red defense and grabbing that final hangar. An eight-kill streak, with some elite-level spiraling thrown in as Mr. Blunt pulled off the runway for a final shot. And that might be what makes your decision. MAMAzBoYz, definitely, you think with grim satisfaction. At the very least, I'll have an excuse to switch sides when Eddie is red
"Place your request, then PM Cry, so your request can be voted on and processed" instructs UltimateF1, the premier dogfight master of MAMAzBoYz. I can't believe this, you think. I'm gonna be in. Omg. Just... Wow.

TWO DAYS LATER

You're in. You were accepted. You post an emotional little anecdote on the thread, thanking the members for accepting you. An hour later you check back. 7 "thank you's". So it begins, you think.
You go to fly, checking out the brand new tag, and see how it fits. Messiness? Vimy? Festubert? you wonder vaguely. Festubert. Definitely Festubert.
You enter the server, and are awe-stricken immediately. There, resplendant in his SSIV and a blue tag over his head, is Cry.
Cry is THE man. The most polarizing figure in Dogfight, Cry has been around since Zuperman decided to make a WWI flight simulator. He is as witty and intelligent as he is hard to shoot. He may not be the best pilot in Dogfight, but he's the best that everyone knows about. And here he is, on your team.
"Welcome to MAMAzBoYz, bud" he types. "Thx, mate," is your hurried reply. You have a battle to fight.
This. Is. Awesome

MAMAzBoYz. Chapter 2.

Two weeks later, and things have settled down a bit. You're flying quite a bit, and the experience has been great so far. The best part is unfolding right now.
You are in Borimov. Bomb the base. 2-v-3. You and that level 28 that never talks are German. The blues include a group captain who apparently thinks that sneaking around the edge of the map is an effective strategy in a tank, a level 29, named SneakySnake, who talks way too much and usually gets shot while typing, and a level 18 from one of those newer squads with a bird in its name, who seems very worried about your tag.
"Is there such thing as 'MAMA love?'" He asks?
You frown. "Mama love"? You've never heard the term before.
"so i tld my cuz, 'thats a turky' lololol" types level SneakySnake as you unload 8 shots into him.
"Of course there's mama love," you reply. "How do YOU think you were born?"
"my mama is white, but my dad is white too lololol" SneakySnake as you destroy his tank.
"Am I on the love list?" asks the level 18.
"i have 2 gfs, but they dont no about each other lol"
SneakySnake crashed
You're starting to get the picture. By "love list", djiuhv (as the level 18 is named. Why? I have no clue) is referring to some sort of hit list: players your squadron hates and spawnkills relentlessly.
"My squadron leader hates MAMAz, so he told them he wanted them dead" explains djiuhv.
"dont hate ur momma, bro, youll gey unborn lolol" SneakySnake brought down by FullBlown (your teammate)
You pull over, bombing the hangar. Djiuhv is parked in the runway, and Snake crashes into him. ("lolol")
"Yep, we have the list, and you're on top," you quip, and begin to relentlessly spawnkill him. Snake quits. Within 5 minutes, Djiuhv also quits. You and Fullblown collect the rest of the hangars. The Air Commodore in the tank is never seen again. To this day, his ghost is said to still haunt the corner of Borimov, in a tipped-over tank.

Later, you're on world chat, celebrating a hard-fought, 2-hour epic.
"I think we destroyed more planes that game than the entirety of both world wars", you type.
"Not a chance."
??
You look at the name, and moan inwardly. It's DryGuy. The crusty veteran who can't take a joke, or let anything go, for that matter.
"It was a joke dude" replies Dipster, your chat companion, who finished the previous game with a 2:1 ratio.
"I never said it wasn't, I was just saying, you could not have possibly destroyed more planes than both world wars".
"Seriously?"
"Yes, apparently unlike you."

The argument continues for several minutes. Finally, with all the joy sucked out of your momentary experience, you exit chat. Some things, you just can't win
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter, [NLR]DIS*RUPT

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224022

• [NLR] McFate
The Kill’n’Fokkers
By Big Joe

While trying to figure out what to do, you decide to check out Kill'n'Fokkers' tatts and you discover a secret code which leads you to a hidden website belonging to the squad with butloads of tips and pointers so you take a look and decide to enter a game and give a few a go.

You suddenly find yourself vs the best player in the game (Hairspray) so you try out what you have just learned and BAM you dodge all his fire and race past him at 78,738,927,892.6 mph so you quickly turn and fire and your sweet sweet bullets now seem to to hunt him down like a poor injured animal lost in a field.

Everybody is noticing how good you are for a mid-level player and begins to question what you play on and they try to figure it out but they can't, so they start calling you a cheater. Wow, you think to yourself, for 19 levels these guys have been owning me, but I never called them out when their bullets flew at me like magnets at a Billboard sized refrigerator, so why once you figure out how to do the same to them are you suddenly cheating? But you just give it a big "whatever" and keep on killing fools.

By the time you finish the game you are just in shock at how the big boys acted once they couldn't take you down, and rather than let everybody think they just got destroyed by a mid-level player (or as they call you "noob") they would rather label you a cheat. So you down a cold one and head to the nearest Tattoo parlor with photo of K.F. logo in hand.

You head in and get comfortable as you can while they poke away at your arm. They soon finish and you settle up and head to the tatt coffee shop to upload some pics and let K.F. know their newest recruit just made it official, but before you get through the door your new is spotted by a dude wearing a whole lot of hairspray. As he approaches you throw up your K.F. Signs to rep your squad and before you can put your hands back down BANG! He pulls out his Glock and unloads in your direction. Fortunatly for you he is not that good of a shot and they all seem to miss. This is when you realize the strange man shooting at you is none other than the one and only "Hairspray", just then you feel a sharp pain in your arm, you brush it off thinking its the tatt but you then realize its the other arm hurting and YOU'VE BEEN SHOT DOWN!!!!......... "To Be Continued"
:P

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224023

• [NLR] McFate
The Delta 9 High Flyers
By McFate

(featuring : "Fly. Crash. Die. Repeat." by Luna used here as the "vision quest")

“Alright! Delta 9 High Flyers, it is!”

“Awesome dude! Hey lets bounce and I’ll sign you in right now!” says Mr Blunt

“Well, wha…? What about the game…?” you stammer.

“What ev’. They’ll be here for hours. Come on I’ll show you around HQ.”

So you quit in the middle of your run and follow Mr Blunt. You land beside him at south base and follow him to one of the large brick buildings and into a dark, smoky shop, at least you thought that’s what it was… this is not just a mechanics shop, oh no. The place is festooned with the finest Persian rugs and wall hangings. There are aeronautical photos all over the walls, pics of exotic places everywhere around the globe. There is a portrait of an American military pilot on one wall, surrounded with candle sconces and insense smoke rising from charcoal braziers. You recognize the face of Captain Richard Bong, from the video introduction to Dogfight.

"Ha! Who is this Bong guy, your hero?" You ask with a laugh.

"Hey! Who's there?" Shout several voices in mock alarm.

“Relax.” says Blunt. “It’s a new recruit I just picked up in Festubert. Say hey to the newest Niner!”

“Hey, Yo, fresh meat! Welcome to the show buddy!” You start to make out some faces. "But hey, don't disrespect 'Tricky Dick'! Captain Bong is the patron saint of the Delta 9s."

"Yea, I can Imagine." You chuckle. "But come on, he was a respected pilot and you guys are revering him like a counter culture hero? Isn't that kind of disrespectful?".

"Dick Bong was a great pilot. He was responsible for shooting down 41 Japanese planes in WW2 but he was also a rascal. While there are no records of any 'counter culture' activities, he was born and raised on a Wisconsin farm at a time when that state was the USA's second largest producer of hemp. But more than that, Bong was known for 'misbehaving' just for kicks!" At this there are some cheers of agreement from the squad. "His service records show that he once got in trouble for stunt flying down Market Street in San Francisco, flying so low he knocked laundry off of clotheslines. Later he was credited with leading a wing of pilots to loop the Golden Gate bridge! ... A tradition we honor by stunt flying around the bridge as a squad at least daily."

Mr. Blunt then introduces you to a short, scruffy, long-white-bearded man with sharp intelligent eyes. “GooRue is da boss around here; what he says, goes. You can have the squad tag but you’re not on the bus unless GooRue says you’re on the bus, a’ight?”

The squad reverently bows to their leader. In the moment of silence a gentle 'thrumming' sound draws your attention to a blue-glowing donut-shaped contraption gently pulsating in the center of the room. It resembles a stack of large truck tires but it seems to radiate a charge of sublime energy. You follow your curiosity over to it as your hair begins standing on end.

“What is that thing?” you ask, with a sense of awe.

GooRue steps up. “Ah, you've noticed the double toroid power pods. Everyone is drawn to their elegant simplicity. Our plan is to develop the harmonic vortex engine and put it in a Spad XIII”

“The old stiffs won’t know what hit ‘em" says a tall, lithe girl all in shiny black, silver and royal blue. (Gamer avatars!) "Ha! Once we get these things tuned and fitted the good-ole' boys will be longing for the good-ole' days when lag switching and bit rates were the big worry! We’ll be flying silent patrols there and back twice before they realize we aren’t meeting them in the middle, their last hangar will be all lit up!”

"That’s the lovely 'Blaze 24/7'” says Blunt. “And believe me, she does. And the one who is lurking over there is 'CandyMan' he’s the go-to guy if you need anything”

“Hello,” Hmm… “So what is that thing, some kind of space age engine?

"Actually, yes." Says GooRue as he hits you with a penetrating gaze. You can’t help but squirm under his perfect eye contact.

"Well... what are you doing with it in a 1917 video game? It can't possibly be considered okay to use 21st or 22nd century technology here and call it fair game, can you?” Your incredulity is obvious and perhaps your tone is a little more abrasive than you had intended, but really? “You want to win by cheating?!!”

You’re amazed to witness the nearly literal act of four grown adults ROFL (their) AO. Since GooRue is the only one able to speak, and still on his feet, you hit him a quizzical stare. As he looks you over for a moment, you feel him taking in every inch, every twitch, every thread, every hair. You’re sure that now you know how it feels to be subjected to a polygraph test. “What?!” you demand.

“Relax. No one is going to use it just to win games. We’re going to use it to blow minds. Just wait 'till we blow by Eddy, VonDouche, Banjo and Hairspray! They’ll be flaming us all over the forums! And we’ll just be here watching the show. No, this will be way better than any win or any high KDR stats. Hey, take a look at that plaque on the wall. You see what it says?”

It has only two lines of text. The top says 'recreate' the bottom says '5269/4831'. GooRue sees your eyes blink with consternation. “Those are the answers.”

“Huh? What are the questions.” you ask

“What do you seek when you keep coming here, day after day? Is it just the kills, the wins, the triumph? Is it only the domination over your adversary?” GooRue patiently asks.

Your focus softens and you begin to think that there may be more to the nature of these guys than just competitive drive.

Autodestruct

“Hey, I've got an idea." Proposes Blaze. "Let’s call a truce in a dogfight and go up the mountain with the noob.”

“Yea, get in your plane and follow us!” they all chime in. Then, like a flash they all vanish out the door like cockroaches when the lights go on. You’re the last one to get out to the planes and into position for takeoff. CRASH!!! You've just spawned right on top of CandyMan. You hit Retry and instantly spawn crash again. Oh great! Now you’re getting all flustered riding the throttle and brake as CandyMan just starts rolling leisurely down the airstrip. You hold the brake a moment too long and go upside down into a faceplant into the runway. Sigh. Autodestruct

You’re now 0-3 in your first flight with your new Squad! “Sorry guys, I’m not usually this bad…”

“No Worries, relax and follow” says GooRue. You take off from South base and follow in line as they turf their way between trees; wing tips seemingly skimming the ground. They hug the terrain as they head up and over the hills and drop to the surface of the western lake. The allied carrier is making it’s lazy turns in the distance. The squad heads for the Jolly Roger and buzzes the place so low you’re sure the bottles are rattling on the shelves. "Let that shiver your timbers, Jackaroe, Ya ole' pirate!" They then sweep under the bridge and deftly pull up, around and through the structure following the roadway. Your knuckles are locked as you desperately hang on, following as they calmly circle the bridge footings and fly between the upper supports. As they break off from the bridge you can see them curiously glancing back to see if you’re still there, then they continue on an insanely low-altitude, contoured and coordinated flight path. "Just like Tricky Dick" you think to yourself.

A few minutes later North base comes into view to the East. There are a handful of reds twisting around each other like rabid fireflies, too busy to care about 5 planes turfing their way up the West slopes of Duckwing Mountain. Suddenly the squad ahead of you all go inverted still at tree level. You’re actually a bit shocked to see this unnecessary flirt with death. They continue to move as a flowing stream; their wheels, now pointed skyward, suggest the antennae of a strange insect. As the procession nears the mountain summit they break formation and dump their air speed using the drag of ascent and adverse yaw. They touch down in perfect stall-landings on the pitched field at the mountain's peak, right in front of DUCKWING1’s memorial. You had recently read about this Dogfight legend on the forum. This guy had gained universal respect for his skills and sportsmanship. The fact that he was a real-life soldier who had been injured by an IED in Iraq was secondary yet relevant to his game play because it had left him as a triple amputee. He had found Dogfight while in the hospital. By suspending his tablet from above his bed he was able to play one handed and even somehow managed to deliver and drop bombs.

Sunshine Daydream

You're caught by surprise by their sudden landing and have to overshoot the field. By the time you've come back around and landed they are placing a wreath of wild flowers at the foot of the monument.

There is a feeling of ceremony in the air as you are directed to sit in the middle of the bench which has been turned toward the setting sun. As you take in the scenery you notice that though the sun is above the horizon in your peripheral vision, when you turn to face it, it drops and spares your eyes in a gesture that actually seems polite. The squad circles the bench and you are presented with a wreath of purple, red and orange flowers: Poppies. They remind you of the sceen in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy, Toto, the scarecrow, tinman and the lion are succumbing to the Wicked Witch's field of poppies….Hmmm… is that the Emerald City in the background?….wait… You’re not in OZ,…LoL…you’re in Gretchland… Are there munchkins here too? You’ve never seen any yellow brick road… *YAWN* ….You’re always busy fighting… Can’t abandon the mission, you know? Gotta keep pushing those stats. Gotta keep up the fight! Hmmm...what is it inside that keeps telling you to 'go...go…go!' …*YAWN*… Your mind is busy but you can't seem to keep your eyes open. The sun begins to "peak" back above the horizon as you find yourself falling into a daydream…

Luna wrote:

Fly. Crash. Die. Repeat.

It’s been this way for as long as you remember.

You question if you’re even alive; if your existence is anything more than just fly, crash, die, repeat. The exasperating drone of WWI-era plane engines and terrifying cracking of machine gun fire has all but consumed your mind. Your reality, whatever it may be, is a living hell with seemingly no end. However, there’s something that compels you to take off that runway every single time. Some unknown urge that pushes you towards a hailstorm of bullets or a torrent of explosive shells in order to complete a unanimous objective. More often than not, you’re not alone. You usually find yourself pitted with (or against) others in this nightmare, and as real and alive as they all may be, you can’t help but feel that all of you are helpless drones trapped in someone, or something’s, unknown agenda.

Fly. Crash. Die. Repeat.

Why?

The time for free thinking is over, as you feel the compulsions return. Before now, nothingness surrounded you, and you were alone with your thoughts. However, slowly, a green world starts to materialize around you, and with it, a new thinking in your mind. It’s all you could describe it as; a separate consciousness within your own that seems to control your body just as a pilot controls her plane. Unable and unwilling to fight it, you let it take you over, and its thoughts become yours.

The green plains around you begin to take a more tangible shape. Rolling hills and sporadic trees quickly fill the landscape, and in the distance you see massive mountain formations rise from nothing. The blackness of the sky transforms to a soothing light blue, and you see a large orb of brilliant light glow bright above you. Some artificial structures start appearing around you; airplane hangars, watchtowers, and a paved runway directly below you. Your body is next to appear. From a formless consciousness comes a human being, and an influx of the other senses become a part of you. All this happens in what feels like a few seconds. At first, this entire ordeal was extremely overwhelming to you, but by now you’ve grown accustomed to it, something you’ve taken to call “Spawning”.

Your have a body, but you do not attempt to move. The last thing to come into existence is your airplane. An almost an instant, an aircraft that you know by the name “S.E.5” appears below you. You find yourself seated within its cockpit. A string of text flashes in your mind.

Bomb the enemy hangars!

With the world around you and your objective fully realized, you take no delay. Your plane’s engines come to life on its own, and with a swift movement, you push the throttle and begin take off. The plane’s propeller begins to rotate faster and pushes you along the narrow strip of asphalt. As you gain speed your wings gain lift, you feel the wheels below you part the ground.

Your takeoff was swift and clean, something you’ve done many times before in the past. After a long look around you, you find the skies completely empty. No one follows you from the runway behind you. It seems you’re alone for this run.

You check your bearing and hope for the best.

You take your solitary time to your advantage to appreciate the universe set before you. Other than the dark void that fills most of your time, this is what you’ve come to accept as your home, if it could ever be called such a thing. At times, your home is consumed by a bitter blizzard, or a relentless rainstorm.

But sometimes, the sky is littered with a perfect arrangement of clouds, partly blocking the afternoon sun in the distance. Rays of dazzling light squeeze through the clouds and create a comforting palette of yellows, oranges, and reds on the landscape far below. Trees spot the ground far underneath you, and in the distance you pass a small group of houses and homey structures. Towards the passing horizon you see a large reflection of the perfect sky; a lake that stretches for miles. Above it lies an old bridge that connects opposite sides. On one end, an old tavern that gives you a welcoming impression; on the other, quite the opposite, a hauntingly quiet and empty storage hanger. You shiver quietly as it passes from your peripheral vision.

A series of familiar buildings break over the horizon before you. It’s your objectives; the enemy hangars that you need to destroy. You check the cumbersome bomb that your aircraft is carrying, and make sure it is ready for deployment. A quick scan of the area around you reveal no enemy aircraft, so you close into the enemy base, smiling with anticipation.

As you approach your target, you ready your hand to release the bomb. “The timing must be perfect, and with no distractions, there should be no excuses,” you think to yourself. You aim for the middle of a pair of hangars, in hopes to kill two birds with one stone. You pass over, you release the bomb at best possible time, and mentally cross your fingers.

The bomb hits dead-center between the hangars, but they still stand intact.

“Damn it!” you shout audibly. With minutes wasted, you turn back towards your home base to re-arm your plane. “I knew I should have gotten the bomb upgrade. Well, at least nobody’s shown up yet, so I should have ti-”

Your train of thought is interrupted by a series of text that flashes in your mind.

BoomUrDead has joined the game![/b]

SkyKiller has joined the game![/b]

XxlolSWAGxX has joined the game![/b]

UrMOM has joined the game![/b]

* - * has joined the game![/b]

FyreWolf has joined the game![/b]

“Well... great,” you say. Scanning reveals six enemy aircraft spawning in at the airbase not too far behind you. You hear the sound of machine gun fire and see tracer bullets start flying past you. One of these bullets were lucky enough to clip your left wing, and you momentarily lose control of your aircraft. These guys want you dead.

Text flashes in your mind.

XxlolSWAGxX>Haha n00b ur gonna lose.[/b]

Already, you know this is going to be interesting...

Lofty long shots

* BOOM *
Sudden cannon fire jars you back to your senses. You’re sitting bolt up-right on the bench, the wreath of flowers is strewn on the ground at your feet. At the far edge of the peak your new squad mates are having a blast in their tanks, lobbing shells at North Base. As GooRue sees you approaching you feel everyones attention turn as he asks “So, the answers are right there on the plaque at HQ. Do you remember? It said ‘Recreate’ and ‘5269/4831’ right? So, have you figured out the questions yet?”

You venture “Well, there's the sign on the wall, but I want to be sure, because you know sometimes words have two meanings." the Delta Nines smile while you continue "First: 're-create'; to make something new again, like every time we respawn I guess. Second: 'recreate' like 'recreation'. The first question must be: What is my true purpose for coming here?...”

"Yea. It's pretty simple, right? Somehow some people just don't get it. They think it's all about kills, hangars bombed and kdr. Recreation is defined as something people do to relax or have fun : activities done for enjoyment. Some seem to depend on their stats or maybe they are afraid that enjoyment is a self centered thing. To 'en' means to make something happen, so 'enjoy' means to make joy. So the Delta 9 High Flyers take it as our highest order: to make joy wherever possible. " GooRue and the others all flash mischievous smiles but their sparkling eyes make you feel completely welcome. “And the second question?”

You’re at a bit of a loss and no one offers any help. “What is this, one of those philosophical questions like ‘What is the sound of one hand clapping?’”

“Close!” They shout while falling into the ROFL schtick. Then with a beaming smile “5269/4831…” GooRue savors the moment… “is the stats of one hand fighting! While it may not be the highest kill/death ratio, it is one that was fully earned, by a good man who took no heavy handed advantage and simply fought a clean fight to the best of his ability. Anyone who can truly claim that throughout their entire dogfight career is a true 'Ace'. No doubt it's clear to everyone, when it is clear in one's own heart and deeds”

Stats for DUCKWING1
Top # Name Game Rank # of kills # hangars bombed # of deads # crashed Won Games
#317 Duckwing1 Air Vice-Marshal III (22) 5269 1211 4831 2067 942

You take a few moments to ponder what it would be like to fight one handed while laying in a hospital bed. You begin to feel pity for the pilots who spawnkill without need and the stat-padders who prey on honorable players and noobs without regard for the mission. The Delta 'niners' have returned to their mischief. You watch with some detachment as it takes a full 15 seconds for their tank shells go from the top of the mountain to the North Base runway. They even occasionally manage to hit a spawning plane!

“Woohoo!”
“Nice one!”
“Yea!”

In one sense they’re actually spawn killing from tanks in a dogfight and cheering about it?!!! On the other hand it does take some luck, and it is from the top of the mountain after all.. Sure, well.. why not?... What have you gotten yourself into?

:blink:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224024

• [NLR] McFate
Special Ops -A sci-fi odyssey.
By McFate

Feeling kind of cocky ‘eh? Well “Special Ops” may be the most serious squad out there, and there’s no denying their high level of skill. They are known to aggressively prosecute the game mission and though they are known to camp and drop and sometimes even spawnkill they also make fast work out of a game. You never see them leave a teammate un-covered but you also don’t see them going for cheap kills.

After the game ends in a quick victory you meet VonDouche on world chat.

“Yes sir, Mr. Douche”

Baron VonDouche". He corrects without missing a beat. "Now go to the forum and make a post on the 'Official Special Ops Squadron" thread. State your intention to pledge, your current stats, your hangar load out; planes and upgrades both German and Allied, your in-game currency, your annual gaming budget, your join date, weekly schedule of availability, any dogfight player with whom you associate IRL ….”

“I-R-L?” you ask.

“In Real Life” The Baron curtly explains. You are a little taken aback by the seriousness of the Douche. Is he for real? Does he realize it's only a game? You guess that he's just really into it. Poor guy. You wonder what he does "IRL", probably sits 24/7 in his gaming chair with built in speakers, just lives for dogfight. LOL! But still, isn't he taking the roll-playing aspect a bit farther than seems…sane? You gather up the requested information and post it to the forum thread, it's reminiscent of some sort of military induction process. (Where is the "group W" bench?) Within minutes of your posting, a notification appears that you have a new Private Message waiting. It's from "Maj. Lee Sirus" Head recruiting officer for "Special Operations Grechland Division" There's a password and link to the "Grechland External Security"" website.

ATTENTION SPECIAL OPERATIONS RECRUIT!!!
(Fill out the form below and immediately post it to the secure website in the link above.)
ONCETHISFORMISCOMPLETEDANDSUBMITTEDYOURMEMBERSHIPISCOMPLETEANDBINDING. THEREISNOTURNINGBACK. MAKENOMISTAKEANDDONOTSUBMITUNLESSYOUAREPREPAREDTOFULLYCOMMITTO:
SPECIALOPERATIONSTACTICALDUTY.

'Immediately'? and ‘FULLYCOMMITTO’? You laugh as you fill out the 'form'. You pause for a moment before entering your cell phone number and actual street address. Hmm...what harm can it be? You figure it's just so they can send you some swag. Heck, guys who take it this seriously probably have all kinds of squad insignia patches or stickers they mail out to every new member. You hit send.

Wake up call

That night your dreams reflect your growing addiction to the game. You’ve had dogfight dreams before but this time they are more visceral, more ‘real’ somehow. You are flying your SE5a , the same as several times before, but this time you can feel the g-forces. You notice because at times you're having trouble keeping your head facing your intended direction, using all of your strength to keep your hands from falling off of the control stick while pulling wild maneuvers. Since when did playing dogfight have g-forces?!!! As you pull out of a dive you feel the blood rush from your head to your feet, while your slumbering brain calmly wonders; why when everything else is being pushed down, the contents of your stomach is about to head in the opposite direction. You feel like you're being chased... expecting bursts of machine gun fire at any moment. But something is different... It's a feeling... It’s like the game is about to “END”. Not the same ‘end’ as when Zaza or Blaze 24/7 have 14 kills in a dogfight and you know they’re on your tail. This seems much more…

BAM! BAM! BAM!

“WHAT, what the?!!!”. You're suddenly wide awake! Your head is trying to reconcile the dream and the obnoxious pounding on the door of your apartment. You shake your head trying to to lose some of the confusion. “Who the &%#@ is banging on my door at 5:am?!!!”

Voices outside say: “Echoboom special operations! We’re coming in!”… BOOM! The door flies wide open and three uniformed 'troops' rush in with 'SOG' insignias and tactical gear. You jump back and take a stance to defend yourself. The intruders look directly into your eyes as they advance upon you, yet their expressions are more urgent than malicious. You stand braced for an attack that never comes.

“We are so greatfu…plea…no, honored! Sir!” They snap to attention.

Very confused you say “What in the HELL is going ON?! Get OUT of my HOUSE!" you bellow. You're using a great deal of effort resisting the impulse to kick the jaw of the closest one, plant a fist in the face of the guy on the right, then drive your elbow into the face on the left. It's not that you've been trained in hand-to-hand combat and you aren't someone who goes looking for fights, but the few times a conflict has been unavoidable your enemies have regretted their actions. Somehow in your natural reactions, time seems to slow down. It's the same with the game. When you come upon a 'wall of reds' your mind automatically reacts like it's some sort of puzzle. While other pilots seem content to point and shoot at each enemy one at a time, you subconsciously prioritize your targets like a champion billiards player laying out a sequence of shots; dodge the high-rank red deadly shooter, snap off a couple rounds at another red marshal who is steadily targeting your teammate. With a skilled shot he goes down and the other blue is free to assist and take out your attacker. Sure your tactics may not be fool proof, nor do they yield the highest kill-to-death ratio (KDR) but it just makes sense to you somehow.

“Our sincerest apologies sir, but they are waiting for us. Everyone power up. We must go now.” The three troops bring out several electronic devices. One goes to your window and quickly sets up a satellite dish type device; another connects what appears to be a military-grade wireless router; the other is using a Kevlar cased laptop and reports “128 BPS and steady. Ready to ping for lag.” … “Ping now."

Then to you; "Where is your device, sir?”

“Uh….” Your mind reels. You have been awake for only about 45 seconds and are not convinced that any of this is actually happening. Bemused, you look at the ‘ping' guy who is now kneeling amid a fortune of equipment and say matter of factly; “This can’t be happening. I'm asleep. I am still dreaming.” In an effort to prove your point you back-hand him across the face, fully expecting to somehow “respawn” in your bed with your face deep in your pillow and the covers pulled up nice and tight… oops!

The next thing you know the three of them grab you and send you face first into the rug, arms pulled up nice and tight behind as you feel a needle prick in your gluteus maximus...ouch!...3...2...1... * BOOM!!!! Ten ccs of injected adrenaline hit you like a million volts. Now you’re the one standing and they’re all picking themselves up from the floor.

“Feeling better now, sir?” asks ‘Ping’ as he picks himself up and returns to his task. He and the goons seem only slightly perturbed. “I need your device. If I can harvest your control settings, you can link and be ready to fly in about 30 seconds.”

Understanding slowly blossoms. “You mean ‘what do I play Dogfight on’? This is about DOGFIGHT?!!! " Confusion now replaced by disbelief, you glance at your tablet, charging on the desk. Following your gaze, one of the troops quickly grabs it and tosses it to Ping.

“Hey! Give me that! What do you think you're…” You watch as Ping connects a mini USB. The tablet makes a bright flash and a wheezy popping sound. You know at once that it is dead; smoked, cracked, shattered and fried. Disbelief gives way to adrenaline enhanced rage. The very moment before you spring an elaborate improvised attack that would not have ended well, Ping’s intense concentration melts into a smile. He shoves a strange helmet/visor/headset thing into your shaking hands. “All your settings are loaded, just put it on.” You pause to inspect it for a moment. “PUT IT ON NOW!....PLEASE!” Yells Ping desperately. Resignation finally takes over and you set it on your head. “Oh, yea, I think you’re going to like this…”

A meeting in Grechland

First there is a moment of deep, dark nothingness so complete and profound that you wonder if you have just blacked out. Then the Echoboom logo suddenly appears in front of you and familiar music “...Dun Dat Da, Dun-dat-da, dun dat da ….” It fills your senses more completely than a THX Dolby surround sound 3D theater. You are expecting the first game screen to appear but it never does. You blink and rub your eyes and find yourself standing in front of the “The Prancing Unicorn”, the lodge in Grechland village. But this is not the same village you have explored in-game, this is a living landscape with grass and trees swaying in a faint breeze, mountains, blue sky and buildings made of wood and stone. There’s a somewhat alpine scent and the sounds are of people on their way to something important.. The three goons who had invaded your house are right there beside you but they now have the animated character look of the soldiers from the game, their familiar sight is strangely comforting. “Ummm…Okkkkay…” you stammer, the jitters of adrenaline are the only thing keeping you from dropping to the grassy ground in shock. The goons are stupidly grinning with huge, unblinking eyes and with their bolt action carbines. They motion you through the doors. “After you, sir.” Dumbfounded, you rub your eyes again and this time, when you open them, there are troops everywhere. There are hundreds of familiar and unfamiliar name tags, all blue, floating above dogfight pilot/paratroopers who all look the same. They’re all being directed into the doors of the lodge by yet more of the uniformed soldiers. The only thing different between them is their ID and squad patches.

Bringing up the rear, you walk up the stairs, through the open door and into a scene you never would have imagined to be in Dogfight; a town hall meeting. There look to be about 300 in attendance. Zuperman stands center, behind a big table at the far end of the hall. He’s flanked by Dog Fight Clan goons and various officers from other squads. Bewildered onlookers seem to be waiting to hear him address the crowd. “Last one’s in, Boss” say the goons as they follow everybody in and close the doors.

“Well? What do you think of the latest update?” asks Zup with a grin. The room fills with an uproar that takes several minutes to quiet back down. “Easy, calm down. We don’t have a lot of time so let me explain. First of all, welcome to Messins, the command Cube of the ‘ESPS ECHOBOOM’, an interplanetary spacecraft.” Dead silence. “I know, you were hoping for ‘Squad Wars’ or more game options, but this must come first. The simple fact is that the 'trolls' are taking up too much bandwidth. They log in with multiple accounts, they spam profanity in chat, they overload the reporting system and the auto-ban mechanisms, they flood my email with stupidity and bash the game in reviews complaining about the problems they cause; and worse, they’re growing!” Sounds of agreement all around. “We should have starved them from the beginning! Didn’t you hear the wisdom when people said ‘don’t feed the trolls’? Now look! They have grown so strong and so many that they feed off of eachother. They are taking over the game so completely that new players mistake the trolls’ nastiness for the status quo. This is not what I want for the game. Now I need your help. If you want Dogfight to reach its potential we need the ‘good’ players to ‘moderate’ the threat caused by the trolls. The ‘good’ are all of you. Those of you who are gathered here… You have all been found worthy, through your great gaming spirit! You have all shown the desire and drive to make the game a better experience for everyone!”

The meeting hall erupts into a cacophony of cheers and clapping. You find yourself caught up in the moment, looking from face to face and seeing a common resolution, but when your eyes fall on the ridiculously similar soldiers, reality (what’s left of it…) comes crashing into your thoughts. “Hey! Wait! Worthy of what?” The din quickly subsides. “What the heck are we supposed to do?”

Zuperman lifts and holds his laptop up like an offering and proclaims “I have work to do. Von Douche and the other squad leaders will share with you the situation and the plan. This war is for everything! Fail, and it is all over! Succeed, and the game will be as it should, no more trolls, lag will be banished and Squad Wars can finally be launched!”

“Will there be team-chat?” yells some jerk from the side of the room.

“Yes” Says Zup as he beams away Star Trek style. ‘Yea, right’ you think to yourself. Von Douche of Special Ops, Eddy P Rex of MAMAsBoYz and GooRue of the Delta 9 High Flyers take the meeting.

Hunting for trolls

“Alright everyone…” starts GooRue. “Abandon all reason ye who enter here. Do NOT try to make too much sense of any of this. If you do, your mind will not make it through this mission and you will have to spend the rest of your life being spoon fed and having your teeth brushed by your loved ones.” He smiles a nearly toothless grin. “That’s right! The lag, the unbalanced servers, good people quitting, Zuperman needing to waste countless hours of development time on disciplinary nonsense, it’s all because of the trolls! We can’t just sit back and watch them destroy the game. So, some of us have formed a taskforce and have been watching behind the scenes, looking for clues and signs to find out how many and who they are and where in the world they come from. We have discovered that while there may be many trolls, only a few cause most of the strife. We have identified four who are the most troublesome. We believe that these jerks encourage all the rest and they have a numbing effect on the good players thereby desensitizing them to the abuse, making it easier to spread profanity and anger over all of Gretchland."

“We’re calling one troll the 'Filtch', short for the ‘infiltrator’ has tricked his way into many squads and torn them apart. He has been known by the names; Crobar92, PRatt ACE, zackster, CheeseBait, flybum, Smackattak, Slaphappy...

“The second; probably the most foul, we call 'The Mouth' known in-game as: MissPratt, Suey22, InContinental, papschmerlda, .SMedusa…

"The Third is a name changing spawnkiller with an obvious grudge against the game and everyone in it. Ironically he seems to really enjoy the game. He has gone by Stachio, @hole, =Copy=, ru486...

“The fourth seems to be the worst of all. He has actually contacted several players to harass them in real life: TheDogofDogs, Shintstir, Legion of Spleen, ManChile9, StupedoVon Schiet… we usually just refer to him as ‘tDoD’.”

“So where do we find them?” demands the same guy who asked about team-chat.

“Um, well… we believe they have come together with several hundred minions and are now headquartered on Europa.” Says GooRue, once again to dead silence. “You know? Europa. Jupiter’s 6th moon? Ever hear of it, maybe in 2001 A Space Odessy? ” Blank, silent stares...”Remember the part about not making sense? Anyway, we need to go to Europa and destroy the trolls’ net connections once and for all. While we’re at it, we should rehabilitate any of the minions we can reach. I’m sorry to say that many of them are former friends and good players, even a few squad mates lost to selfish stupidity. I would like to see them return to their former good standing rather than be permanently banished.”

Murmurs of confusion come from the assembly. “How do we get to Europa? Why us? What can we do? How long will this take? When will we be back? I’ve got school, work, dinner, my wife will be furious….!”

Eddy P Rex is the next to speak. “Everyone here was hand picked for their combination of skills, dedication and for their display of social responsibility to the game community. You have all been brought here under your own authorization. You have all signed the contract which was specific to your squad but it contained the wording ‘MAKE NO MISTAKE AND DO NOT SUBMIT UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO FULLY COMMIT…’ So here we are. We’re all here for as long as it takes. If all goes well we’re looking at 2-3 days to get there and another 2-3 to return. BUT, if all goes well Zuperman will be able to run up the game clock so that time in the game is eight times faster here than in the real world.” This seems to have a relieving and somewhat calming effect on the crowd.

Eddy continues. “As Zup said, this is the ‘ESPS ECHOBOOM’. It’s an enormous improvised space craft made up of all six game maps. The game maps are actually cubes with the center of the sky being one corner. The playing map is a surface suspended a little below half way between the top point and the bottom point. Everything above the ground surface of the map is the sky that we fly in. Below the surface is the ‘underground’.

“The underground is real? Why has it always been a secret?” Ask several voices in the crowd.

“Yes. The underground is real… well, as real as anything can be in a digital world, but slow down a moment here and I’ll tell you the whole thing. Okay the ‘ESPS ECHOBOOM’ is a long craft made of the six game map cubes, all in a line. Messines is the command module. The ship is powered by a borrowed ‘Infinite Improbability Drive’ unit. Manufactured by Douglas Adams. "

"The only trouble is that the manual is incomplete. All it says is ‘Don’t Panic!’ and that whatever your question, the answer is ‘42’. As long as we keep it fed with warm tea it seems to keep tracking on whatever destination we collectively imagine.” Eddy’s words are met with blank stares and complete silence. “Don’t try to make sense! Basically we’re in huge space craft heading to Jupiter’s 6th moon. So, how do we fight the trolls?” Eddy continues. “Okay, our Spads and Fokkers are WW1 style and obviously not designed for space flight. Here comes the fun part. Are there any ‘Star Wars’ fans in the house?” Loud whoops and hollars are heard from all around and many hands shoot into the air. Sci-fi nerds!

“Great! So I’m sure that many of you will know that George Lucas recently sold the ‘Star Wars’ franchise to Disney. The sale included the rights for the movies, video games, and the primary story line books, however it did not include many of the extended stories in the ‘Expanded Universe’. The good news for us is that there was a lot of confusion, so much of the property and some of the equipment was misplaced in the transfer of LucasArt. In details which will never be discussed nor see the light of day, Gretchland became home to 300 small space craft. Republic and rebel star fighters actually. We have a few X-wings and Jedi Fighters but most are A-wings, B-wings, ARC-170s and one heavily modified souped up, twin-engine, Corillian galactic racer.

“What about battle cruisers and destroyers?” Asks ‘Red Five’. Another in the crowd yells “What about the Imperial ships, I want a tie fighter!” …” I want a Deathstar man!” … “Weren’t both Deathstars destroyed?”… “Oh yea.”

“I’m sorry to say but we did not get any Imperial craft and most of the well known ships were moved under heavy press coverage so they were closely accounted for. We were only able to get what fell through the cracks. But hey, what do you want here, Jedi powers too? Sorry, different game. The down side is the trolls play dirty and we think they got some of the tie-fighters. We also have reason to believe they have some accomplished hackers on their side and there is no way to know what they may throw at us. This means we need to come up with a multifaceted plan that can change depending on what we find once we get to Europa.” At this point Eddy pauses to let everyone take it all in.

The Double Entandre

“What’s the plan for the fight?”

“Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of information about our target yet. But we have some ideas and a plan for reconnaissance. Among the Star Wars fighters was the Corillian racer. It’s in the underground hangars now getting outfitted with two ‘harmonic vortex pulse engines’ on loan from the Delts 9s. They look like big blue, pulsing spheres that sit at the back of the single long fuselage….Uh, for certain, shall we say ‘phallic’ reasons it has been semi-officially christened ‘The Double Entandre’. or just the ‘Double E’ if you’re looking from a different angle.”

Snarky laughter escapes several in the crowd. “Yes, it seems to be the butt of many off color jokes around here.” Says Eddy with a wry smile. “Anyway, It is a fine piece of equipment. Our next order of business is deciding who will pilot the reconnaissance mission. We are open for nominees and volunteers who are willing to skirt around the trolls rear flank, penetrate their defenses and probe them while they are unaware. Make no mistake! This mission is no simple Saturday afternoon tryst. You have to get in and out before they become wise to your actions.”

The crowds questions come quickly. “Can it be done? How fast is the probe? What if the trolls have more rear defenses than we anticipate? Does the Double Entandre have any fire power?”

“The Double Entandre has only one cannon. It is on a forward-fixed-mount and it shoots a wad consisting of millions of ‘smart’ projectiles designed to penetrate primary defenses. While the salvos have been proven effective when properly placed, the reload rate is very slow. In fact, we anticipate that in this quick mission, it may only possible to get one shot off and then it will be rendered useless until it can regenerate enough projectiles for a second shot. I am sorry to say that we don’t know what kind of resistance the trolls will have guarding their rear approach, for all we know they may be wide open or it may be rigged as a trap. We believe that the probe is the fastest ship in this fight but it takes a very subtle hand to make it perform to the best of its abilities. We need a driver with experience. Honestly, we have no idea how things will come out. All we can do is choose our point of penetration wisely and give it all we’ve got.” At this point Eddy pauses and scans the faces of the crowd.

“I volunteer!” Offers Daniel Boone. “No one has more flying time than me. I can shoot my way over, pull around and take them from behind.” There are lots of cheers of support, especially from his squad. If it were simply a popular vote, surely the deal would be made. After the supportive clamor finally calms down, GooRue speaks up. “As much as we all like Danny Boy, we have to make some careful considerations here. Danny is a great and deadly pilot. There is no doubt that some of his ¼ million kills were extracted from all of us present. But think here folks, Danny always shoots right up the middle, he hardly ever lets off of the trigger. We need someone who will be stealthy and operate without making himself the center of attention.” Says GooRue with a gracious smile and slight bow to Danny who is obviously disappointed yet returns a polite demur with a nod.

“How about Baron Von Zitz? He can sneak through anyone’s backdoor.” The crowd speaks up in debate. “Yea, he’s a real pain in the butt.” “The moment you get out of view he just goes down on you and drops his bombs on your base, you look back and everything is on fire.”

Says GooRue; “ Right, but this isn’t a bombing mission. This is recon. Who in Dogfight has experience in covert operations?”

“How about Porky?” Suggests McGray. “He did some covert ops during the siege of 'theDogOfDogs’. He posed as a wannabe minion and actually had some private correspondence with the ‘dalek’ troll. Come to think of it, Jackaroe was in on it too. Maybe they should pilot the probe.”

“Well, we all know they can fly a double entandre with the best of them.” Admits GooRue. “How about it guys? Senator Pork barrel? Jackaroe?”

“Sorry guys but I’m completely taken over by demands here.” Says Jackaroe, proprietor of the pub on the east bank, just south of the bridge. “As the only existing commissary, My staff and I are pulling miracles from every possible rabbit hole right now. The Jolly Roger has never tried serving all of Gretchland let alone doing it for several days; and to make matters worse, there are some who think this is an opportunity to binge on our vast cellars. Nope, I’m more useful to the cause from here, but I think the pig will be your man.”

“I’ll be your Huckleberry” Senator Pork Barrel, aka ‘Porky’ steps forward. GooRue gives him an appraising look and asks “But can you fly the Double Entandre?”

“Sirs and Mams,” Says Porky, with a slow deliberate tone. “I was born for this. The least I can do is guide the Double E firmly with both hands and stick it to the trolls! I will go to the gas giant's moon and probe their dark side, where the sun never shines. They won’t see or hear me coming; but boy, won’t they be surprised when we drive our way in? What then? Do we have to blow their data centers before we shrink back to the fleet?

GooRue laughs, “Well I see you have plenty of experience flying double entandres, I’m sure you’ll be a natural. Just remember that you’re only going to get one shot from the big gun. You’ve got to wait until you’ve got what you’re looking for, then when you fire your shot, the smart projectiles will search and overload every sensor in their system. You see?… You need to be light on the stick because once the gun is cocked and loaded it’s like a Champaign bottle after you remove the musler, anything more than a few light shakes can set it off prematurely. If you wait and time your shot just right, they won’t be able to figure out what happened until the fog clears and you’re long gone.” He pauses. “Porky needs a tactician and someone who can co-pilot. You there, the one with the shiny new swords...”

The crowd turns to look at you. “You’ve earned a lot of respect and some of the highest marks for tactical improvisation. Everyone else has already been training with their particular squads but you haven’t flown under any affiliation yet. This can be good. You aren’t influenced by any dogma and you demonstrate a superior level of ingenuity. Will you co-pilot the double E?”

Well, what can you say? You agree. Many offer words of thanks and encouragement and many more would have been heard but the squad leaders press on with more business. Eddy says “We’ve got a lot of work to do to get them ready for this battle. Let's get down to the hangars."

To the tunnels…

Someone who sounds like they spend a lot of time with equipment speaks up “’Star Wars’ has been around for almost 40 years… are these star fighters blasted out old heaps or are they fine pieces of equipment? What kind of condition are these ships in?”

“Come see for yourselves. Follow me and I’ll show you the fleet.” Eddy turns around and opens a door in the wall behind him. The crowd follows with giddy anticipation. The door opens to a narrow set of steps leading beneath the town. Everyone follows until the stairs end in what the echoes tell you is a huge cavernous space. When the last person enters Eddy bellows “Welcome to the Dogfight Underground! Perhaps now you can see why it has been a guarded secret.” He hits a switch and the lights burst on to reveal an enormous underground hangar. The passage disappears Eastward off into the distance. It is at least 30 meters wide and 10 meters tall. Along the length are the formerly fictional starfighters. Some are brilliantly polished while others have obviously seen some action. “Feel free to check them out, just don’t go in the cockpit until you have received your individual briefing. We will begin flight trainings this afternoon.”

“Yay!!!” People are absolutely ecstatic. Some are transfixed in awe while others are climbing up whatever they can and running their fingers over every surface.

“Hey! Get your dirty fingers off my planes! Have some respect! Lord only knows where else you’ve been sticking ‘em!” shouts an old grey-haired man. He’s wearing the classic WW1 leather helmet and jacket. Everyone jumps down or takes a quick step back from the starfighters, clearly startled by his rebuke. “Eddy! What the hell are you doing bringing all these TOURISTS into my tunnels? Where’s Gretch? I’m pissed! And when I get pissed someone’s bound to get pissed on!” His words sound crazy-mad but for just a moment, when you catch his eye, you see something there that doesn’t quite match what’s coming from his mouth, a kind of a twinkle.

“Oh yea, here’s someone you all need to meet.” says Eddy. “Everyone, this is Paul, keeper of the tunnels. He found them a couple of years ago and spent a lot of time mapping them out. Paul made a journal of his adventures but wisely decided to limit access by laying misleading clues on how to find the entrances. Thank goodness he did or every noob in the game would be down here sneaking from one airport to the other, using dynamite to take out hangars instead of dropping bombs.”

“Hey!” Paul interjects “Don’t go giving away all of my secrets! As if letting everyone into my tunnels wasn’t bad enough, now you’re going to give away some of my Magic too? Watch it Eddy, or you’re going to find rain drops keep falling on your head without a cloud in the sky.” He quickly lets Eddy off the hook and says “Well, since you’re already here it’s time we put you to work.”

And work you do. Damage is assessed, blast marks inspected, missing equipment noted. “First job is to clean ‘em all up enough to see what works and what needs fixing. Someone go check those big containers. One is labeled ‘Equipment: Reserve Stock’ the other says ‘Astromec R2 units’ whatever that means…”

People set to opening the containers as Paul continues; “At one point, while developing the game, Zuperman wanted to have complete WW1 style ground wars in addition to the dogfights. He made trenches and underground bunkers but was unable to make the mobile game platform support more than 8 players at a time, making it all kind of pointless. So he ended up covering the trenches over with a new layer of ground. The result is a subterranean network of tunnels, vaults and bunkers. There are only a few openings left and hardly anyone knows where they are or how to get in, in fact, only a few of the squad leaders knew for sure until today. They’ve all been working together to direct attention away from the underground so we could quietly save these starfighters for what we anticipated was coming. Just wait! What will the trolls think of this magic trick?!!”

Rebel Base

Someone erupts with excitement; “Check it out! Over here, it’s a bunch of robots like R2D2 from the movies.” One of the shipping containers has been opened to reveal racks upon racks of the mechanic droids from Star Wars. They are all silent and still “How do we turn them on?” various Star Wars fans come forward and start poking around in the right places but no one is having any luck.

“Dang it, hold on. I turned ‘em all off, cause they were driving me crazy, who can stand all that whirring and beeping!” explains Paul. He pulls out his smart phone and presses a big orange circle on the screen. “Hey Joaquin, Will you please be so kind as to turn the underground world setting back to Star Wars.” Paul lets off the button, winks and says to everyone. “The best thing about all of this adventure is that for once we have Zuperman’s undivided attention.” In a few moments Zuperman responds: “A long time ago, In a galaxy far, far away...” The droids come alive and immediately set to taking care of the ships, the twinkle that was hidden behind Paul’s eyes now floods onto his face and sets the mood of the whole operation in the hangar/tunnels. Magic? ...Could be.

When Zup changed the settings, all of the graphics changed. The familiar big eyed pilots are gone, replaced by a crew of Star Wars rebels. Humans, aliens and cyborgs are all suddenly amazed by their new appearance. A look at the back of your own hand reveals a dark blue complexion, you can’t help but feel startled for a moment. Finding your reflection in a control-room window you see yourself wearing an orange pilot uniform with a grey harness, you carry a small blaster on your belt, your face is blue like your hands, your eyes are red and your hair is obsidian black.

“You’re okay there. You look like a blue meanie. You’re lucky to be a Chiss.” The voice is Porky’s but it comes from one of the ugliest creatures in the whole wide world of science fiction. “You could have ended up as a Gamorrean too. I always dug the irony of being called Porky. It’s a joke from way back. But now? Now I actually look like a pig. Revolting! And a freaking drooling, rhino-frog-pig too! Be merciful won’t you? Shoot me… please!” Poor Porky, all in all, being blue isn’t so bad.

Porky tells you that a pre-mission briefing has been set up in the tunnels main control-room and as the guests of honor, your attendance is mandatory. You meet Ping and his two tech goons inside. “Close the door and pull up a chair, sirs.” Ping is sitting at a table whose surface is a display, currently showing a map of the Dogfight Underground. A pulsing red dot shows your present location directly below Gretchland Village. The map shows a network of tunnels branching out to different areas of the dogfight world. Some sections appear as narrow passages while others seem larger and have keys describing available features. Openings are marked here and there including one at each base, one at both ends of the bridge, one at the empty building south of the east lake.

Ping points out the control-room and the main hangar right outside the door. “The Double Entandra is in the larger room to the west. The engines are hot and ready and the gun is primed, just waiting for you to take command. As soon as we get clear of the asteroid belt we will be in position for you to do your job. Once you’re off, you’ll be on your own. Silence must be maintained until you’ve reached the objective.” He touches the display and brings up an animation of the Double Entandre slipping around to the back side of Jupiter’s 6th moon. He touches it and the Wiki link pops up:

Europa (Jupiter II), is the sixth-closest moon of the planet Jupiter, and the smallest of its four Galilean satellites, but still the sixth-largest moon in the Solar System. Europa was discovered in 1610 by Galileo Galilei. Progressively better observations of Europa have occurred over the centuries by Earth-bound telescopes, and by space probe flybys starting in the 1970s.

Slightly smaller than the Moon, Europa is primarily made of silicate rock and probably has an iron core. It has a tenuous atmosphere composed primarily of oxygen. Its surface is striated by cracks and streaks, whereas craters are relatively rare. Being composed of frozen water, it gives the moon the smoothest surface of any solid object in the Solar System. The apparent youth and smoothness of the surface have led to the hypothesis that a water ocean exists beneath it, which could conceivably serve as an abode for extraterrestrial life.

Life on Europa? Scientists ponder the possibilities

Below the surface

“The surface appears smooth and frozen but it is believed to be all wet if you can get below the icy exterior. The trolls may be holed up in a submersible craft. The Double E has been pre-programmed with the coordinates, it knows where to go and it will be there and back at full throttle unless you handle it gently. Time your shot right and the salvo should overload their sensors and provide cover for your retreat. Remember; you’re there for intelligence, not a joy ride.”

“So the trolls may be acting as seamen, submerged below the smooth icy surface of the gas giant’s moon. Got it.” says Porky, the slobbering Gamorrean. Then holding up his hoof/paws he asks “Hey, is it really necessary to maintain this appearance? Aside from the fact that I’m uglier than the backside of a freshly shaved poodle, I can barely eat or walk or like this, much less pilot a ship.”

“Oh sure, sorry about that!” Ping touches an icon and brings up a game administrator control panel. “One moment here… You both have pics in the ‘Faces of Dogfight’ thread right? We can leave the graphics as Star Wars and put the character settings to ‘Forum’. It will automatically choose the closest match to your real appearance from your forum profile, your avatar or posts.” He flips a few toggles and you and Porky are exchanging handshakes, standing face to face just as you would IRL. Ping and his goons; however, appear as plastic toy soldiers. Ping holds a walkie-talkie, one goon has a gun and the other has a bazooka!

“Nice! You guys look great in green plastic.” You now recognize them from the figures on their banners. Ping is known as Lt. ComCon and is probably the forum’s best source for technical help. It's rumored that he works for DARPA. He’s even been known to send players some of his surplus equipment. He’s the one who recommended that you switch to a completely custom hand-built tablet with Bluetooth sound and joystick for tank and soldier mode. “Hey, you owe me a tablet when we get back!”

“If you pull this off; you name it, anything you want, it’s yours.” Ping promises. Sweet!!!

Just then you become aware of a commotion in the hangars. The control room door bursts open and in barges a distraught ‘Surfer Girl' wearing nothing but her polka-dot bikini and perfect suntan. “Turn the settings back! This is crazy!”

In the hangar behind her is complete pandemonium. You see creatures of all sorts! Ghosts, goblins, cartoon characters, superheroes, dragons, three-headed dogs, cats, robots, puppets, birds, ninjas, sci-fi characters including some from Star Wars, Star Trek and Avatar, lots of historical WW1 ace pilots, several people you recognize from their ‘faces’ posts… but the site that sends you rolling on the floor laughing are the supermodels! Wiggly, jiggly, collagen and silicon enhanced, bursting from their braziers, laced up and thonged supermodels! Some of them are trying to dash for cover in high heels while others are ogling at eachother and their own reflections. You recognize most of them from MAMAsBoYz banners.

“Oh the GodOfGods!” Says Porkey. “Switch it back!”

Mercifully, Ping hits the switch and in an instant the supermodels turn into the uniformed dogfight pilots. A quick scan of the name tags reveal that most of them were MAMAsBoYz with a few Kill’n’Fokkers and [N]uckle Heads thrown in. There are definitely awkward moments when some realize who they were ogling at. You look back at poor traumatized surfer girl. “Are you okay?” you ask. Even as a soldier she is visibly shaken. She stands there in the door way with tears in her huge unblinking eyes.

“Some things can never be unseen!” she sobs. A bellowing laughter is now coming from one person out in the hangar. You hear several other disgusted voices admonishing “That’s not right!” or “You’re sick!” or “Who the hell brought you here?”

“YOU GUYS! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! YOU WERE ALL….AAAAH HAHAHAH!!!! I’M DYING!!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN YOUR FACES!!!!!” Without looking you know who it is: "Squirm[N]vermin" of the [N]uckle Heads. He has always had something obscene as his banner or avatar. He’s still laughing his head off as Ping hits a few switches. Peace returns as Squirm[N]vermin vanishes.

Porky, who is also from the [N]uckle Heads seems a bit relieved. “Thanks Ping. That guy is like that cousin at a family reunion who is always telling dirty jokes to Grandma. Sheesh!...but come to think of it, he did get her laughing so hard she lost her dentures..."

To be continued....
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]Destroyer24, [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224025

• [NLR] McFate
The DAA meeting .

Reluctantly, you hit the in-game leader board and select Quit. Oh well, your tablet battery was so low you probably couldn't have finished another run anyway.

"What am I doing?" You think to yourself. "I don't have time for gaming this much, let alone join any squads!" You dash about grabbing keys and wallet stopping only long enough to make certain your tablets charger is properly working. You dread the possibility of another mishap like last Friday when you got home from work and discovered you battery was still down to 11%. Ugh. You ended up in a foul mood for the whole evening and your family paid the price. It was a bad evening but it provided the realization that dogfight had become such an addiction that it was affecting your life. They even went so far as to call your fixation "antisocial behavior"!!! "How can you call it antisocial when I'm interacting with people all over the world?" You demanded, but they were unimpressed. A copy of gaming magazine was then shoved into your hand with an article on identifying gaming addiction. Oof.

The article included a section from medicalnewstoday.com:

How is Addiction Diagnosed?

DSM criteria for substance dependence - a patient diagnosed with substance dependence (an addiction) must meet criteria laid out in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), a manual published by the American Psychiatric Association.
The criteria for drug dependence that causes significant problems must include three of the following:

1. Tolerance - the substance has less effect on the patient because their body has developed tolerance. They need more and more of it to get the same pleasure.
Well, this one may not apply because it is not in your body, but as far as in your mind; when you first started, a game here and there was okay, but now are one or two quick games ever enough?
Hmm.

2. There are physical/psychological withdrawal symptoms, or the patient takes the substance to avoid experiencing withdrawal, or the patient takes a similar substance to avoid experiencing withdrawal.
Have you been constantly thinking about playing. When you can’t play on line do you find yourself logging into the practice missions even though you find them boring compared to multiplayer?
Hmmm.

3. The patient frequently takes higher-than-intended doses of the substance.
How often have you intended to play for only an hour or so and ended up still playing at 1:00 am? Hmmmm.

4. The patient often tries to quit or cut down.
Previously confronted by family and unfinished work, have you ever tried to make a point of playing less?
Hmmmmm.

5. More and more time is spent getting hold of the substance, using it, or recovering from its effects.
Have you been checking into new equipment and researching internet provider routers and connection speeds?
Hmmmmmm.

6. The patient’s drug use causes him/her to give up social, occupational or recreational activities.
Don’t even go there!

7. Even though patients know it causes psychological/physical problems, they continue taking it.
*Sigh*

It said the criteria required at least three.."Okay! Fine! " You finally admit. "I may have an issue here" The next thing handed to you was the contact information for a local gaming addiction support group, and now you’re late for your first meeting. Your fuel tamk is almost empty so you have to stop along the way. You really aren't feeling too bad about the situation; in fact, waiting for the fill up you take a moment to check the forum. You're trying to convince yourself that it's not a problem because you have nothing else to do at the moment anyway. Just as you hit recent posts your phone exits dogfight and rings. It's a recording: "Please call your signal provider now. This is an urgent message. Service interruption is scheduled unless payment is made within..." Grrrr.

When you arrive the meeting is already underway. The facilitator has just introduced the first speaker who has already begun his story about a recent experience:

[*M] MISFIT CROCKETT wrote: I will have to admit that I've become totally immersed in dogfight, maybe even to a point where it's unhealthy. The day started with my wife and I packing the car for our Calif Christmas trip. We were excited and ready to go, finally the time had come for us to leave.

As I was driving the highways I was daydreaming about dogfight. I dreamt I was just like that David Crocker guy. As I spawned into the game I could imagine all the comments, "oh crap he's here" " oh no" "well there goes our easy game" ect ect. My chest puffed with pride as I was traveling 72 mph. A smile crossed my face when the Reds started to show up, they were all top of the line players. The first red was VONNIE BULKY, he was an easy kill, next came HOTRODAMA and FRED BARRACUDA, they were good but still no match for the famous David Crocker. I think my wife was talking to me, if she was I never heard her, next came HAIRPIECE and AUNT BUCKY, I stiffened as they show up, I was now very tense as they would be hard to overtake, my concetration was intense.

I started firing when it happened, a pair of rocks hit my windsheild, PING PING, I panicked, the first thing I did was to open my sunroof, I then stood up and started to jump until I saw my wife sitting there with a shocked expression on her face, boy she looked pissed. I shut my sunroof but now my car had verred into oncoming lanes. They goodness for my dogfight training, I took evading action, I took a hard turn to the right and they both missed me however I then had a blue car sideswiped me, I started screaming "shoot red you idiot"

The blue car must have felt bad because he verred to the right and went into inverted driving whereas he then got stuck on the guard rail. I guess he hit the auto destroy button because he blew up and left the highway. I then realized I had better get out of there in a hurry, I tried to drop my bombs but the only thing that happened was my radio kept turning off and on.

After I came down to earth, so to speak, my wife was frantically slapping me across my face. I was highly embarrassed. She then said she was never going to talk to me again. I guess I really need to get dogfight off my mind.

As the speaker finishes you look around the room. There are 8 people in attendance including yourself. Everyone seems a little shaken by the speaker's story. The facilitator brakes the stunned silence by saying. "Wow, Thank you for sharing. I would like to take a minute to welcome a new face." The facilitator turns to you and kindly asks "Welcome to Dogfight Addicts Anonymous. Would you like to introduce yourself and tell us why you're here, or would you rather listen for a while first?"

You opt to listen a bit first. "Very well. Feel free to speak up when you are ready. You are also welcome if you would rather just listen. Meanwhile, I believe Vivek would like to share a recent experience. Vivek?"

[NLR] The Blue Fighter wrote:

My Journey From Mere Spectator To Addiction

It was around 15-Nov-2013, on my son Ishan Sang request, I installed windows 8 on his PC. He loves playing games like FIFA and Assassin Creed etc and was searching for games on Microsoft Store. He downloaded 2-3 games and out of them one was Dog Fight.

He loaded the game and here goes the first run. It was bomb the carrier mission. He was shot down again and again before he could even take off which made him furious. I told Ishan, this is not his cup of tea so better uninstall the game. “Papa you just wait and watch” was his reply. I left the room.

Papa, come here I want to show you something. I went to his room and saw him playing Dogfight. But today story was different, he was shooting planes like anything one after the other. Within 10 days he crossed level 19 and was well acknowledged by players as “BlueFighter”. I too got interested in game and asked my son to help me in controls.

first day during practise session was like I could take off but while landing I crashed. My son told me to open another account and play in that only which I did and started playing. With controller it is difficult to aim as when I press “UP button” it goes way up and condition is same with other directions too. I asked Ishan to help me in aiming but till date I’m not perfect as he is.
Myths
The BlueFighter is crossing levels one after the other and the day has come on which he was tagged as MORAF. Till this time we are playing casually as he plays with controller and I used to do in game chat using keyboard and a mere spectator.

The event which changed my life from mere spectator to addiction was when Ishan’s mother told him to concentrate on his studies as now he is in high school. Ishan is good in academics and he was loosing interest in game too as he would like to play only when top players are playing.

He got the best planes i.e. DVIII and Sop with camel and I got basic DVIII without any upgrades and too gifted by zuperman. Ishan was at 160 rank at that time. Now he plays rarely and his world rank is slipping so I started playing under his account to keep his point ticking. Now slowly and steadily I‘m playing much better and his rank too improved from 169 to 41 within span of 6 months. But still my son laugh at me when he hear the sound of being killed:

“LOL Papa you get shot by everyone, are u improving my KDR or other’s KDR”.

Now I’m playing to get acknowledged from my son that I too play well.

Within these 6 months I started playing 3-5 hours on daily basis. My day starts with checking the in box and recent topics on forum. After office time at around 5/6 p.m. the game controller would be in my hand and I don’t like to be disturbed while playing as often my wife asked me what I would like to have in dinner and my answer would be “what u said.. hun.. ” and when I’m done with game I know the food will be there in hot case and I don’t have the guts to ask her what she had prepared for the dinner.

You can judge the level of addiction from following incident and now I’m afraid what will come next.

One day while dreaming, I’ll flying on mission and I see enemy tank firing a shell to shoot me down. To avoid the shell I make the plane go sideway and with that my hand too moved and accidently hitting my wife.

My wife who was fast asleep woke up and see me murmuring in sleep. He couldn’t make out what is happening. She tried to wake me up in the middle of night. “Hey Vivek are u okay" and getting no reply from my side she slept again.

Whereas I’m of the impression that my teammates are thumping on my kill and telling me to get another red" here comes another red and I got him too.

"Wow BlueFighter" screams your teammates and one of the red fighter who really got pissed off due to repeatedly shot down by yourself says "Hey BlueFighter, I'm coming for you. get me if you can.”

"Seeing him spinning you could make out that he is without bomb and taking his challenge you stretch yourself telling your team mates “okay guys that circus fellow is mine" but unfortunately while stretching I again hit my wife and LOL now she knew what’s going on and suddenly your planes controls are out of order. You try to move left but the plane is spinning like anything.

“Damn this controller. It seems battery is weak and meanwhile your plane dives nose down and crash.” You are on runway and you say “Sweetheart can you please get me the batteries, my controller is out of order in middle of the game”

Bang…Bang suddenly I feel that my body is shaking like the red planes are dropping bombs on me one after the other instead of hangars”

“What the Heck is going on here and you wake up and sees your wife shaking your body in furious mood like a red pilot looking for the kill while you are taking-off ”.

“Is everything okay” I asked very politely. “No dear –everything is not okay - you damn I’ll teach you how to play dogfight and there comes the volley of words hitting you like bullets”

I don’t know why she is behaving like this so I asked “What’s wrong with you sweetheart? Why are u so angry in the middle of night? I haven’t end the sentence and she replied “I’ll burn your damn game and everything connected to it. From now onwards you’ll not touch that computer.”

I was blank and thinking “Damn, What I have done. I can’t start my day without game and I can’t avoid her.” What shall I do to make her happy so that I can play DF. So I said “Darling listen.”
“Shut up and go to sleep. This game has ruined my life. The husband who used to be with me all the times has found another secret love “Echoboom”. “But you know me Vivek, I will cut this “ECHO” to pieces and what left will “BOOM”. Understand.

Now I realized what could had happened. OMG better speak to her in morning else she will camp with all the planes and tank and will never let me take off.

“Am I the only one who got addicted to such level?”
is the question whose answer I’m searching for.

Vivek

"Thank you for that very powerful testimony, Vivek. Losing track of reality while sleeping or during waking moments can be very scary. People who walk in their sleep are referred to as ''somnambulists". I wonder if there is a term for those who fly in their sleep. I think you may find other similar stories in the group here once more are willing to share. Addictive gaming can be very hard on relationships. In fact relationships failing due to gaming addiction is seen as a new sociological epidemic. I have here a letter sent in by Gunnerzz just before Christmas. I asked him if I could share his story and he said he would be be happy to share it if it could help someone else see what may happen before it's too late"

The facilitator pulls out a letter and reads:

G.I Gunnerzz wrote: Well to all of my friends I have missed you guys!! Theres alot of great people in this game!! Anyways I've been inactive for weeks/maybe a month becouse I got caught up in this game and forgot about life I guess...and after 15 years of marriage ultimately it cost me my marriage!!! No blame to anyone but myself cause this is a awesome game but my message to all of you is don't let this happen to you!! For x mass I get a divorce lol ohh by the way merry x mass to all of you!!! Theres so many people I'd like to individually say goodbye too but that would take forever so I just wanted to say goodbye to you all!! Mom Misfits Devils Dragons MUCH LOVE FOR YA!!! And HB slayer and all GUNNERS INC I'm so proud of what you guys have become and stand for!! Never dreamed when I made that squad it would turn out to be what it is wow you guys are awesome!!! I gave it a name and you guys made it for sure!!! I've never been great at goodbyes but it's time I learn I guess cause there coming from everywhere!!Well no need to drag this out its time for me to say so long dogfight....I may pop in again who knows when my life gets straightened out I may even return...last words LONG LIVE GUNNERS INC.....goodbye!!

More to come.... B)

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224026

• [NLR] McFate
[/quote]

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224027

• [NLR] McFate
[/quote]

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 5 years 2 weeks ago #224028

• [NLR] McFate
The story begins on the first page of this thread.

Instructions and rules for submissions for 'Shot Down!!!'

Fiction and non-fiction are welcome here. Keep in mind, just about anything can happen. You can pop back into the game that's going on, team kill everyone and bomb your own hangars, go straight up the middle take everyone down with a two bullets or even your bad breath.

I invite anyone to write submissions. The only rules are:

1. Ficticious names are preferred.
2. No being mean! Absolutely no bashing of anyone here.
3. Write in 3rd person to stick with the choose-your-own-adventure style.

I will insert story threads by anyone who would like to contribute.
Just post your submission and I will insert it into the story. Transitions can be created as needed.

:)

No real names will be added unless it is your own or a respectful reference. Feel free to use names such as "VonBulk" or "Blüe Mänx", or squads such as "W.O.W". the "Miscreants" or the "SkyWalkers". Just remember: no being mean. You can fly a UFO or an F16, you can use a magic wand or even The Force.

Don't worry if someone has already written a story for a particular part. If you have a small side bar, picture/screenshot, cameo... we can add that too.

Feel free to create a story using one of my starts or write about a squad of your own creation. It's fine if there is more than one story option for a particular squad. The good thing about "choice" stories is that you can create parallel threads and the reader can decide which way to go.

Credits
[/b]
(Please generously thank all thread contributors' posts!)

Special thanks to:

Mac For his story for "The MAMAsBoYz" thread and for being the first to provide corrections on "technical details"

Big*Joe for his gritty contribution to the "Kill'n'Fokkers" thread

Luna for her reflective piece "Fly. Crash. Die. Repeat" used as the "vision quest" in the "Delta 9 High Flyerz" thread.
( I hope she doesn't mind that I used it this way.)

Paul Mantz Jr. for his 'appearance' in 'Special Ops' and for updating his Underground Journals

Davy Crockett for his testimony at the Dogfight Addicts Anonymous meeting.

[NLR] The Blue Fighter/Vivek for his brave, personal testimony at the Dogfight Addicts Anonymous meeting.

Gunnerzz for his cautionary tale of gaming gone too far in 'dogfight anonymous'.

111th Junkyard Dog for his bombing run narrative in 'My Bombing Run'

Cat of doom for using his teenage feline eye to correct my improper text vernacular.

Eagle22 for his piece 'ThE rEtReAt!'

zuperman for authoring the game and 'appearing' in 'Special Ops'

[/color]

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232176

• [NLR] McFate
Remodel complete!

See new content in "Special Ops"

McFate wrote:

Welcome to SHOT DOWN!!!

The story begins on the first page of this thread.

At the end of the first page you will reach a set of choices. Use the links provided to choose your story. :)

The remodel has been completed.
Hopefully this thread will remain a work in progress.

Please submit your own story fragment or a complete story arch. Pictures for illustration are also welcome!

Special Thanks to all Writers and contributors:

Mac
Big*Joe
Luna
Paul Mantz jr

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232183

• [NLR] The Blue Fighter
  • Nothing is Impossible.
  • Thank you received: 9221
Nice Work McFate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232623

• [NLR]DIS*RUPT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Stay Classy Dogfight
  • Thank you received: 754

Well done Mcfate! I'm surprised this thread hasn't received more attention. Its nice to take a break from the drama out there and just enjoy a good read :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232661

• [*M]Destroyer24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • I can be your worst nightmare;or best friend
  • Thank you received: 1999
That was an awesome read Sir Fate!! And I appreciate all of who contributed to this master piece of a narrative!!! Nice vocabulary use too!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, [M]DESTZILLA

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232694

• Eagle22
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • u can fly,not for long when im around !!
  • Thank you received: 110
ThE rEtReAt

It was a warm and sunny day at the TBH base. Me and jero was having coffee in the morning as usual. Mayday,Bebonan,tail guner and three more were on their daily patrol . Suddenly we saw an aircraft approaching . Jero shouted "not one but three and they are ours " . It was mayday, guner and bebonan. They landed with smoke and holes on their fuselage. Guner shouted "rEtReAt" abandon the base". Me and jero asked the reason to abandon an important base that we captured from the rebels.
We packed, Got ready and got all the hornets in the air and we understood the reason why . A huge pack of rebels from the west approaching in hundreds. They wanted to take back their captured base. As guner`s plane was damaged, I put him on a Sopwith which was specially awarded to Devine for his bombing Excellency. As it was a twin seater , he was comfortable. We were 15 in all and had to escape to the secret base at river side,California. Finally we flew up to the skies with our hornets retreating from a hard worked land to achieve.

Eagle 22
TBH
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Last edit: by Eagle22.

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232745

• [NLR] McFate
Hey Eagle22 (and the TBH) I posted this to your squad thread too.

Thanks for submitting this to the 'Shot Down!' story thread! Good job! The 'rules' I have for entries are that names and squads should be fictitious. However, if your squad and the members mentioned don't mind I have no problem using them. (I just want to make sure that no toes are stepped on here.)

Since this is a fairly short piece, rather than have it be its own story line, I was thinking about using it in a larger story as 'a report from the battlefields'. I won't use it until I hear from anyone mentioned (and the TBH squad leaders) that it is okay to use their names. Eagle22; feel free to edit your post as you need to and let me know when you're done and I'll gladly make room for it.

McFate
B)

Eagle22 wrote: ThE rEtReAt

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232867

• [*M] MISFIT CROCKETT
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13291
I will have to admit that I've become totally immersed in dogfight...

(Edit: This story has now been inserted into the story thread under the Dogfight Addiction meeting story line. Thanks Davy! -McFate)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KA5EY, [NLR] McFate, [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232872

• Rodama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 364
:woohoo: :lol: :silly:
live google translator! very good friend, what the radio button for the best.

We could open a great debate talking about what our wives think about the game, but the other day, now I'll play :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

[*M] MISFIT CROCKETT wrote:

ASÍ EN LA TIERRA COMO EN EL CIELO...
The following user(s) said Thank You: KA5EY, [NLR] McFate, [NLR] The Blue Fighter

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate. Reason: McFate: to reduce repeat clutter

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #232894

• [NLR] McFate
Lmao!

Okay, new story line:

....Pull yourself away from the game because you're late for your Dogfight Addicts Anonymous meeting.
This will be set up as a 12 step meeting. Sir Crockett will be the first to speak.

Who's next?

:lol:

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #233052

• [NLR] McFate
Thank you Davy Crockett!

Your piece has now been added to the new story line:

The Dogfight Addicts Anonymous meeting.

Setp up for your own turn to speak. More testimony please. :woohoo:

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #233159

• [NLR] The Blue Fighter
  • Nothing is Impossible.
  • Thank you received: 9221

(Edit: Thank you Vivek! This Story has now been added to the "Dogfight Addicts Anonymous" storyline. - McFate)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luna, [NLR] McFate, [NLR]DIS*RUPT

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 11 months ago #233365

• [NLR] McFate
Wow! Thanks, Vivek Sang!

This is a great addition to Shot Down! You are not alone in having dogfight interfere with real life. As far as I know I have never 'flown' in my sleep but I did once accidently smack heads with my wife by frantically pulling on my tablet while trying to dodge on coming reds. She was not pleased! My wife has been known to somnambulate (sleep walk) and has gone so far as to make herself an icecream cone in the dead of night, only to wake upon the first bite. After reading your story I think perhaps I am lucky that she is not as into Dogfight as I am. :S

Your story has been added to the story line: Dogfight Addicts Anonymous

[NLR] The Blue Fighter wrote:

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 9 months ago #245219

• [NLR] McFate
Thanks 111th Junkyard Dog, for adding your story to Shot Down!!!

I have put a link to your post in the intro to the story. Feel free to edit or add to your piece anytime.

Anyone is welcome to post a contribution to the thread. Screenshots and related pics are also welcome. You can either post here on the thread or send me PM. I'll give you credit and do what I can to make it work with the storylines.

McFate
B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR]DIS*RUPT

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 8 months ago #250910

• Eagle22
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • u can fly,not for long when im around !!
  • Thank you received: 110
Hey mcfate , u can carry on the editing with the story I submitted to this topic !

As I'm not gettin any new things to add !

The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate

Last edit: by Eagle22.

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 8 months ago #250992

• [NLR] McFate

Eagle22 wrote: Hey mcfate , u can carry on the editing with the story I submitted to this topic !

As I'm not gettin any new things to add !

Alright Eagle, It's in! I inserted a link to your story post from the introduction. You can still go back and edit or add to it anytime you like.

I have gone back to make several changes in my parts. It's amazing how difficult it can be to proofread my own writing. When I go back to check it a week or so later I often find things that make me wonder what I was thinking! I am quite dyslexic. I end up editing many of my own posts right after I submit them. :pinch:

Shot Down!!! A dogfight adventure story. 4 years 8 months ago #250993

• [NLR] McFate
Eagle22's story " ThE rEtReAt " has now officially been added to Shot Down!!!

Thanks again for your submissions, more are always welcome!

I have also updated parts of the stories to add pictures (more to come) and to reflect changes in the game. I've got part of the next chapter of Special Ops but I'll wait 'til I'm finished to post it[/size][/color]

Pics/screenshots I'm looking for:

-Someone leveling up to:
Congratulations!
You have leveled up to
Brigadier General III

-Some good combat screenshots

• Page:
Moderators: [NLR]*XxXxX*[NLR] McFate[NLR] The Blue Fighter[NLR]MysterioCush [NLR]boom2
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds