Elite hardware discussion 8 years 2 weeks ago #325301

• Viper10{WP}
  • Viper10{WP}'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear
  • Thank you received: 7914

S. E. Dailey wrote: :)
I actually think that my observations and comment concerning simple human mechanics applies to either game. That was my intention at any rate. ;)

But doesn't explain the differences neb discovered for a complete 360 degree turn using two different devices on the same os and same network.

Oh well. Time will tell whats to happen with this issue. Perhaps segregation will be the answer. It worked in American society just fine, right? :side:

United We Prowl/Together We Howl
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nebular

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325308

• _bts
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1091
Explained perfectly-the tilt players have a chance in a the fight now as the pc's instant 100% turn rate has been disabled!
As I have said before I hope Zup finds a solution.If not I'm afraid I support the devices being split,as you are now finding out,it's no fun being taken out with no chance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KA5EY, [NLR] McFate

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325311

• S. E. Dailey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • fortis Fortūna adiuvat
  • Thank you received: 864

Explained, but interpreted pretty subjectively. :dry:
  1. The tilt player may now have a chance at a fair turn fight or they may have a distinct advantage if the pc handicap has been set too high.
  2. The tilt player still maintains an inherent advantage in the head-to-head shootout because it is easier to aim with tilt.
That sounds like the Elite tilt player probably has at least as much of an edge as the pc player allegedly had in DF1, and may very well have an extreme advantage when you consider both those factors. :unsure:

bts wrote: Explained perfectly-the tilt players have a chance in a the fight now as the pc's instant 100% turn rate has been disabled!
As I have said before I hope Zup finds a solution.If not I'm afraid I support the devices being split,as you are now finding out,it's no fun being taken out with no chance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Viper10{WP}, nebular

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325320

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear

S. E. Dailey wrote: .
Explained, but interpreted pretty subjectively. :dry:

1. The tilt player may now have a chance at a fair turn fight or they may have a distinct advantage if the pc handicap has been set too high.
  2. The tilt player still maintains an inherent advantage in the head-to-head shootout because it is easier to aim with tilt.
That sounds like the Elite tilt player probably has at least as much of an edge as the pc player allegedly had in DF1, and may very well have an extreme advantage when you consider both those factors. :unsure:

bts wrote: Explained perfectly-the tilt players have a chance in a the fight now as the pc's instant 100% turn rate has been disabled!

Explained better this time..... got it. :)

Regarding legacy I saw many a post from zup which stated the devices all performed the same. Given the amount of complaints from tilt users and the fact that he disabled the sensitivity bar on elite, I would conclude there had to be some truth to those complaints. Having engaged in many a turn fight with tilt folks my observation was the turn radius of the various devices were even. You know, when you get to see just a glimpse of the red at a point in the circle each time..... and that time and amount of visual contact is constant with each turn as our respective planes complete the circles.

In elite the turn radius between devices is not consistent and the reaction speed, the time from when you press an arrow key to the time the arrow key provides 100% input to the aircraft controls, is slower than before. This creates a double handicap for pc folks.

Now I know you tilt guys are silently or not silently loving the air superiority and I, for one, am okay with that. I created this post to see if other pc folks had similar results as I and when I created the thread I was unaware of the turn radius disparity, which has been pointed out and confirmed (I ran a test of my turn radius and cannot complete a full circle in under 5.5 seconds), but now I know what is happening and will adjust my game accordingly until the situation gets resolved either by adding the sensitivity bar, equalizing the turn radii, or separating the devices, upon subsequent updates.

The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nebular, S. E. Dailey

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325322

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
Turn radius and disparity in close combat skill may be part of the effects of different processor speed.... Another part is how quickly the data registers and is reported between the device and the server. I'm not certain here and there probably is no way to do an objective test but it may contribute to things like when you're going head on with someone and you are putting your shots right into the kill zone but your hits don't register... then suddenly you go down under a hail of shots from the oncoming red, then moments or even several seconds later your hits register and the red goes down too.

Anyone who regularly tries to shoot planes from a tank has seen the direct hits that don't register. Zup once explained that this is due to the difference between the location of the target as seen by the different devices. It's a bit hard to explain here... Basically devices being used in distant locations have to interact in real time, even though there is some delay in the data. "Assumptions" are made based on a enemies vector and that is what you see on your screen, kind of like how the light from a star takes time to travel to your eyes, it may be that some stars we see in the sky have already gone supernova but we won't know for years to come. Well, maybe the plane you are shooting at has already shot you down or changed direction, whoever's data makes it back to the servers first wins, sometimes resulting in an after-the-fact draw or a wrongly reported win.

The differences in data transmission between devices already has many issues causing disparity in syncing data, it could be that the additional difference of processor speed could consistently throw the advantage in one direction.

Clear as mud?

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325336

• _bts
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1091
I have a 6 second 360 turn rate in elite with tilt while carrying 2 bombs!!lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper10{WP}

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325345

• nebular
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2034

bts wrote: I have a 6 second 360 turn rate in elite with tilt while carrying 2 bombs!!lol

Yikes!! I'd have to set an alarm clock to wake me up if I try a 360 with 2 bombs... :whistle:

lemme see if i can find one, gotta try it now... :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper10{WP}

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325354

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear

bts wrote: I have a 6 second 360 turn rate in elite with tilt while carrying 2 bombs!!lol

That's likely accurate. I performed my test without any ordinance. Golly I wonder what that would be like packing bombs!

Fate, processor speed may play a role, but I'm hardly qualified to speak about that with any expertise.

Last edit: by Viper10{WP}.

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325373

• Bingo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • If at First you don't Succeed, Give Up!
  • Thank you received: 463
McTwisty,
Don't forget to include the accelerometers that are built in to the hand held devices. Specs will vary as well. New devices will have better processors to handle the data inputs thus resulting in some noticeable disparity between older devices.

From the interweb of things,

Analysis a large amounts of data acquired by a accelerometer embeded in a handheld device for figuring out the characteristics of the acceleration samples. In order to get a higher precision result of displacement after twice integration, samples are imposed a series of filtering and amendments on the basisi of the application. While de-noising the noise inducted by the accelerometer infrastructure, a dynamic adjustment mechanism is introduced to adust the filter parameters. That makes the stillness detection algorithm more effective. Experiments show that although the robustness needs to be improved, the algorithm has reached a good accuracy, this research lays a foundation for further study.

I kinda like the Bts measurements,
Spin that that double jugged bird and see what comes out the other end.

Dogfighting just became fashionable again in Elite. Don't make a change that might kill this horse. We all know what happens after that.
If anyone still thinks there is no advantage to PC, stay in DF1. There is obviously no advantage there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate

Elite hardware discussion 8 years 1 week ago #325410

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
I think you broke my brain Bingo. :S

But I think you're right about the change in fashion. Check out those new planes! They are fast and maneuverable, they have the target area of a mono-wing and they don't carry a lot of ammo. Head on, fire hose blazing? ... You'd be out of ammo half way across the map.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds